The New Boat is Home... And a Towing question

Wendel

Well, I picked up the boat tonight... what a beaut...

I had a hard time towing it at the start, it seemed my truck was really stuggling.

I usually always tow with overdrive off, which I did tonight of course, but when I'm on the highway I do turn the cruise control on.

Tonight when I first started home it was very lungy and shifty. I was really worried that something was either wrong with the trailer or worse, my truck.

I pulled over and checked the wheels on the trailer, everything seemed fine(it was almost like there was a siezed wheel or something)

Anyways, my truck has pulled heavy things before(30 foot air stream), but tonight was really scarry.

After about 20 minutes it seemed fine... could hardly tell the boat was there...

Any thoughts on what it could be? I'd like to think it was just my truck and boat getting to know each other. All is good now... here are some pictures of the boat... can't wait to get it in the water...

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat3.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhh...Wendel..... :thumbsup_anim:

Sa-Weeet looking boat there bud!

I think your in for a ton of fun this season and many more to come with that ride.

My 0.02.....

As far as the towing problem......

If the truck was A-OK when you picked it up and the boat...(well, it all looks brand new) I mean the boat trailer was also A-OK ive a feeling you had what I too had last weekend bringing mine home.

The Jitters Bud..............just like ...just before you about to say your wedding vows.

You hear every little tiny bump on the trip home trying to be so very careful.

Just the same Id check out the trailer wheels and bearings etc..........

Next, the hitch assembly........finally your own tow vehicle.

A ton of patience and a little of precaution will get you through it,.

Enjoy that boat bud...........she's a beaut.

We're in for a great season..........

see you on the water!

bNb

Edited by brickNblock

Guest skeeter99

I dont want ot rain on the parade but!!

I noticed in the pic that the boat number begins with IN..... should it not be ON...... for ontario unless the boat was registered in indiana?

maybe my eyes are bad I dont know LOL!!!

Edited by skeeter99

Is your truck and trailer equiped with electric brakes? If so your brake gain may have been too high thus causing the strain. After a while (20 min) the shoes wear down (on the trailer) to applied pressure and everything is fine. It happened to me the first time i used my car hauler.

Good luck with that fine lookin boat.

Depending on what type of vechile you own, most newer trucks and vans the computer in the vehcile needs to program itself for the type of driving your doing, this usually takes about 20 min or about 60 miles,, computer makes changes to shift patterns ect to compenssate for the load on the tramsmission, had the same thing happen to me, but it's alway wise to check the wheel bearings and trailer brakes if it has them, you can never be too safe.

Depending on what type of vechile you own, most newer trucks and vans the computer in the vehcile needs to program itself for the type of driving your doing, this usually takes about 20 min or about 60 miles,, computer makes changes to shift patterns ect to compenssate for the load on the tramsmission, had the same thing happen to me, but it's alway wise to check the wheel bearings and trailer brakes if it has them, you can never be too safe.

That could very well be what happened. It was not towing very nice for the first half hour or so, then it started to behave. It wasn't overheating or anything, but it did have jitters. Going to take the trailer in just to be sure though...

This thing is huge... Way bigger then I thought, hopefully Nicole's Sportrac can pull it to, but I am not sure...

I got a new trailer last fall. I found at lower speeds the trailer would move all over the road, but once I hit a certain speed it got better.

Once I had it up on blocks I spun the wheels and noticed they were not centered on the hub. Whoever put it together put the self centering lug nuts on backwards :wallbash: They had the tapered end of the nuts facing out instead of in....quick fix and all seems fine now.

Congrats on the new boat Wendel! Now get those Indiana registration numbers off and replace them with Ontario ones!

I brought home my new/used boat as well this weekend from St. Catherines. The first thing I noticed was how much lighter aluminium boats are compared to fiberglass boats. My old boat is a fiberglass 17' bass boat and I could feel the weight when towing it with my Ford Windstar. With the new package 17' aluminuim Starcraft, it towed much nicer and easier.

I only used 3rd gear when I needed the power and the rest of the cruise on the highway, I was in O/D. After it was towed home, the next time I started the van it did shake a bit but I gave it some gas and took it for a 5 min drive around and it was fine.

Is that 115HP Honda a 2 or 4 stroke?

My wife's Sportrac pulled our 17' Glastron & 115 just fine (and it's heavier than your new one).. and stopped it to with no trailer brakes.. Sportracs are pretty heavy for a compact truck.

A note on the sportrac.. keep your ears open for weird sounds. Wife's just totally collapsed the front wheel bearings at 72,000km (luckily daughter said something about a noise and I jacked it before a drive to Ottawa to find front wheel rocked 5 " top and bottom) and with that fixed 4 days later another noise = bearing gone in transfer case.

Oh.. and a great looking new ride you got yourself there...

Edited by irishfield

That's true, don't need the boat and trailer passing us at a stop sign lol

If our boat ever decides to run a stop sign, I'd rather not be in front of it. :)

Taking the trailer in is a good idea. Even if it's something minor like the guys have suggested, having a pro bless the new baby is worth the price just for the peace of mind. You don't want to spend the day second-guessing yourself when you should be enjoying your first trip out.

Again, congrats - she's a beauty! Love that the back seats are raised for visibility. If the designers were that thoughtful about the rest of her, you're going to have an amazing summer.

I got a new trailer last fall. I found at lower speeds the trailer would move all over the road, but once I hit a certain speed it got better.

I be checking the bearing housings Cliff. That dosent seem right.

Sweet ride Wendel.

NICE Boat, may you catch many fish in that boat unless you're in my spot :)

I could use a little more info on your truck, what make, model, engine and rear end ratio. Do you have a tow/haul mode. Also how much does the boat weight loaded. Do you have electric brakes or surge brakes. If you want to save gas towing DON'T use cruise control. Cruise control will signal a down shift on the smallest inclines and this is a huge gas waster. Cruise control can help gas mileage when your not towing and on almost flat areas but once you hit hilly areas cruise control eats gas like crazy. Also if your truck continues to down shift with cruise control OFF take it out of overdrive while towing and leave it out of overdrive. This constant down shifting will heat up your tranny and they are much more expensive to replace than loosing 2-3 miles to the gallon by locking out overdrive.

One last thing and I believe this is VERY important. Trailer manufactures are real skimpy on wheal bearing grease. Either repack them yourself or at least get yourself bearing buddies (remember the grease never gets to the inside bearing using bearing buddies) and grease them often. A nice and easy way to check your bearing each spring or anytime during the year is to just jack up a tire and spin it. It shouldn't have any rough noise while spinning. If it passes the spin test then check the end play by placing one hand on the upper and one one the lower part of the tire and rock the tire back and forth. You will know if it's too much end play. A little is NORMAL.

Good Fishing,

Bob

Bob