GULP Baits

bassman

I've been using the GULP minnows and worms for app a year and I find that they have been an incredible replacement for using live bait. I've caught lots of crappie, perch, and bass subbing either the worm or minnow imitations.

My question is, do you guys use GULP, and what type of techniques or applications do you use it for. I'm considering using GULP for dropshotting, wacky rigging, and jigging.

Thanks in advance

I have had some success on the minnows on a jig head for smallies, walleyes, steelhead and browns. I have never tried dropshotting them, but I have found softer more flexible baits to work better for dropshotting.

ive tried the maggots and earthworms when ice fishing for perch, bluegill and crappie. i can count how many fish ive caught with them on 1 hand. when watching them on the aqua vu they get close to the bait for a smell but slowly back away. but they had no problem smashing other baits.

3 different water bodies...

maybe they work good for other species or maybe i just had a couple bad batches but i wont be buying it again

I've used the Gulp 3" smelt, rigged on either a jig, or weedless hook, and just swam it or lightly jigged it along weedlines.. They look like a wounded little baitfish, and the northern smallmouth just crush em'

In 2008 I'm really aiming to test out more Gulp products..

I think that they lie !!!!! IT DOES NOT OUTFISH LIVE BAIT !!!! specially when it comes to walleyes,thats my version anyway,as i have tried it lots of times,and still a live crawler :worthy::w00t: will still outfish the gulp dew worm !!! but,i will still be using them,as they do catch fish for sure,now i think the gulp power minnows might have anedge,so i will be fishing with them so i will have feedback later this summer...great thread cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Oops forgot about technique.

I just weedless rig a sinking worm without weights through a hook like any other jig. Cast out in pockets of weeds and keep my line tight on the drop. If you got polarized sunglasses, sometimes you can see the strike just because the bait disappears from view. I usually wait until I feel the weight of the fish before I set the hook.

I have never been a fan of Gulp.

When it first came out I couldn't wait to get some, but I was disappointed.

The baits seemed leathery, they felt stiff, and looked like they were made of Play Doh.

This winter I learned a couple of things about Gulp. First the material used is very porous, it soaks up liquid when first placed in water.

Then it starts to release it's aroma. This means that it works best with slow presentations that allow the flavour to create a scent trail.

Second the bait changes after it's been in the water for a few minutes.

They become slimier, and soften up. It becomes flexible and lifelike.

This might be part of the reason that the new quarts and pints of Gulp Alive leaches and minnows have been created.

The baits in the pails are already wet, so they are ready to go as soon as you put them on the hook.

I will be giving it another try in a couple of weeks. I plan to field test the 3" Gulp Alive minnows on Crappie.

Edited by garry2rs

I simply won't go perchin through the ice without my power maggots! Without a doubt, I will out fish anyone using minnows for many reasons, but in a nut shell, they are the cat's ba doop do for perch through the ice.

HH

The chartruese gulp maggots were a killer bait for me this winter on simcoe - never had a problem getting fish with that. The white grub also worked will on the perch on a small jig head. I'm really looking forward to trying the Alive leeches this summer as well (heard nothing but good things but can't say for sure). I had mixed success with the minnows over the summer - fine on panfish and ok on walleye but not up to live bait but that said it was only one night so not enough data.

I use Gulp Alive minnow on a dropshot rig for bass. I use about a 16-18" line past my hook with a dropshot sinker, cast it out and be patient. Seems to work pretty good, the alive are a bit better than the regular gulp imo.

I like to use the Gulp 3" minnow on a nuckle ball jig. I also like to add half a second minnow on a 45 degree angle to the jig hook - it gives the jig a bigger profile and also adds two tantalizing tails.

The Professional Walleye Trail (PWT) will host the fist ever 'Artificial Bait' only professional walleye tournament this summer.

I am pretty sure most walleye will come off Gulp, Power Bait and Berkley Flicker Shads.

-sheldon

Edited by eye-tracker

I use the Gulp 3 inch minnows a lot bottom bouncing for browns and bows in the Niagara area. The bait has worked well and I've usually found willing takers almost everytime I've used 'em.

It's hard to tell, though, whether they actually outfish Berkely's regular Power minnows or their 'Realisic' series of minnows because sometimes you find the fish and sometime you don't. Sometime the fish are on and sometime they aren't. I believe it's a good bait regardless.

In my situation, the Gulp is a bit soft for my liking only because when bottom bouncing the fast, deep, snag-infested waters in the Niagara Penninsula, the Gulp tends to get ripped away from the hook. But that's the price you pay for it's life-like form and action.

I like it.

I got many bags of gulp, they are definitely the best artificial plastic out there, but out fishing live bait is a myth. Just for fun I've done some little tests and live bait has always out fished them but they do last longer and cheaper than buying minnows every day. The last one I did was ice fishing crappies and perch a couple weeks ago, I set up 3 hooks on a line 6" apart, put a minnow on one hook and the other two had 2 different gulps, and I rotated their position throughout the day, didn't catch one fish one the gulp they took the live minnow every time.