One more Big Bass!

Garry2Rs

Today we cleaned up the yard.

We cut some dead branches, pulled weeds, trimmed and raked etc.

By 1 o'clock we had a load for the dump.

I was going to drop the boat trailer, and make a quick round trip, but Buck pointed out that the dump is half way to Mittry Lake.

If we were going to be that close, we could go fishing for a couple of hours after we disposed of the trash.

We tried a variety of baits but wound up throwing the BPS Bleeding Tennessee Shad on a spot where we have caught big fish before.

I was sort of yo-yo-ing the lipless crankbait. Letting it sink then pulling it up fast, only to let it sink on a tight line again.

As I pulled up, the vibration stopped and the line got heavy.

I set the hook a couple of times, and a big fish swirled on the surface then did a small jump.

Buck was very excited, but stayed in the the boat ...

When the fish came near I saw that the bait was on the outside of it's mouth, and the hooks didn't look too secure.

I sat down it the passenger's seat to try and lip this monster, but it did a 180 and dove.

Poor Buck couldn't contain himself and dove in to help...

The fish turned away from Bucks splash, this brought it back toward me and I lipped it with no trouble this time.

The hooks were more secure than they looked. The front hook was inside the mouth and the back hook had caught in the cheek.

Perhaps on the mini jump...

The scale showed 4lbs 3ounces...

45poundBass001.jpg

The ruler showed 21 inches...

45poundBass004.jpg

The rattle bait is on the deck...

45poundBass002.jpg

We will be back in Canada this time next week and I'm going to miss fishing for big fish until Pike season opens!!!

Garry2rs.

On the way down I bought a new Shimano Critical 7 foot casting rod, to replace a 6'6" G.Loomis rod that needed a small repair.

Yesterday I was Yo - Yo-ing a rattle trap and snapped a foot off of the new rod!

Today I phoned BPS in Springfield Missouri, where I bought the rod back in October, to ask them what to do.

I found out that they will exchange the rod in the store, on the spot, no problem.

I explained that I would be there in a week etc. The discussion switched to the terrible weather they have been having...

I found out that they are still near flood levels and a tornado went through last night!!!

Ruby Slippers might be very appropriate...HAHAHA.

A very nice fish indeed, Garry. Great that you were able to get that winter away with Buck again. Norm is right about the snow though. Call your neighbour before you leave and ask him to clean out your house entrance.

Drive safely coming back....I'm sure noone wants to hear a repeat of the trip south.

Be well.

Thanks for the good wishes. We will drive with care.

I plan to hole-up at my daughters place in Stoney Creek for a few days.

We will monitor the driveway conditions from there.

If the mild weather continues, most of the snow should be gone. If so, we will head for Apsley about the 13th.

But, if the driveway is still blocked etc. I can stay in the city until things get better.