Elly's name that Dog (NF)

Clampet

The parents must be really confident having a presa canario with a child that small. Aren't they an Argentinian fighting dog?

no dog is born mean/viscious or as fighter... stupid owners make them so

LOL HH !

no dog is born mean/viscious or as fighter... stupid owners make them so

In some cases true.. but many breeds turn/snap to their bred instinct when you least expect it. Have had two friends that had to shoot their Dobermans, in their front door way, because they turned on them and wouldn't let them in their own house (with kids inside in both cases). Up until that point they were harmless house dogs and had been for over 6 years.

Now Jed... you've sure strayed off your hillbilly animals tangent here...you run out of hooch or what?

In most cases when dogs go bad it is the owners fault. Dogs are pack animals and most dogs are happiest as followers. All dogs want a strong pack leader to set rules, boundaries and limits. If the human doesn't provide that leadership, the dog will assume the role of leader. You see this all the time...If your dog jumps on you when you come home, isn't just glad to see you. The dog is dominating you. If your dog flips your hand to get petted it's dominating you. The dog who goes through the door ahead of the owner, is the pack leader. The dog that barks at you to be fed, is not cute, it's the pack leader.

The Dobermans that were mentioned, were guarding their pack...the children inside.

For what ever reason, the owners were not seen as the pack leaders.

To be happy and well adjusted, a dog's life needs to be 50% exercise, 25% discipline and 25% affection with their owners. Exercise means walking, not running around the yard looking for a place to poop. Discipline means rules, limits and boundaries, not punishment. Unfortunately in most homes it's 75% Affection...and the dog takes over.

On Cesar Millan's show, The Dog Whisperer, the first thing he does with problem dogs is take them for a long walk. This establishes him as the new pack leader, and reduces the dogs energy level. It's amazing how often this simply tactic makes the problem that the owners were experiencing, disappear.

On Cesar Millan's show, The Dog Whisperer, the first thing he does with problem dogs is take them for a long walk. This establishes him as the new pack leader, and reduces the dogs energy level. It's amazing how often this simply tactic makes the problem that the owners were experiencing, disappear.

Before I hit that last paragraph, I was thinking of Cesar. That guy rocks!! If anyone has a dog, I urge to to check out just a few episodes of his show...it's on the National Geographic Channel. His teachings make so much sense after he explains why it is he's doing what he's doing.

In most cases when dogs go bad it is the owners fault. Dogs are pack animals and most dogs are happiest as followers. All dogs want a strong pack leader to set rules, boundaries and limits. If the human doesn't provide that leadership, the dog will assume the role of leader. You see this all the time...If your dog jumps on you when you come home, isn't just glad to see you. The dog is dominating you. If your dog flips your hand to get petted it's dominating you. The dog who goes through the door ahead of the owner, is the pack leader. The dog that barks at you to be fed, is not cute, it's the pack leader.

The Dobermans that were mentioned, were guarding their pack...the children inside.

For what ever reason, the owners were not seen as the pack leaders.

To be happy and well adjusted, a dog's life needs to be 50% exercise, 25% discipline and 25% affection with their owners. Exercise means walking, not running around the yard looking for a place to poop. Discipline means rules, limits and boundaries, not punishment. Unfortunately in most homes it's 75% Affection...and the dog takes over.

nicely put garry..

my dog would croak if he got 50% exercise.. maybe 5% and put the 45% left over into sleep time....

I knew I should have kept my yap shut on this one.

I won't get into as the whole thing is a bit sensitive to me, as I fought with the City of Kitchener for years to not start the trend to ban Pit Bulls and look where it ended up.

The difference between myself and the Council was that I had statistics and scientific fact, where they had fear and numbers.

sorry to stray off the topic.

my best guess would be a Cane Corso or Neapolitan Mastiff..

Edited by nomad

I knew I should have kept my yap shut on this one.

I won't get into as the whole thing is a bit sensitive to me, as I fought with the City of Kitchener for years to not start the trend to ban Pit Bulls and look where it ended up.

The difference between myself on the Council was that I had statistics and scientific fact, where they had fear and numbers.

sorry to stray off the topic.

my best guess would be a Cane Corso or Neapolitan Mastiff..

lol.. BSL sucks, i've had people run from me and my dog while out on walks.. even had a guy tell his kids (who wanted to pet him) "that's a pit bull, he'll bite your hand clean off".. kinda makes me laugh that people can confuse a bulldog with a "pit bull"..

Does kinda look like a Corso, with uncropped ears and undocked tail.

Same brindle color as my Corso.

Yep bad owners make bad dogs, Corso is actually breed for stability and even temperment, if they are breed right.

If ya see a guy on the rivers with a brindle Corso come say hi to TITAN He wont bite I promise..LOL..

Later,

RF :rolleyes:

Well said Garry. I had a pitbull/boxer cross for a few years. Picked him up at the pound and he was previously abused and a bit aggressive. Took him to a "dog whisperer" to get some info and find out if I could train him.

This guy had just had tongue surgery and could not speak, but I tell you that dog did whatever he was told to do with the grunts and groans and gestures this guy made. It was the force of his grunts and body language that worked. He dominated the dog, but in a gentle manner.

I learned alot from him that day and the way I treated my dog from then on was a lot different. There was definately more respect from the dog after that.

Joey