Buying a beater boat, need advice...

addy79

Hey all...

I'm buying a boat from a freind and need to make him an offer but have no clue what it should go for.

the boat itself is a 14' aluminum, pretty beat up. probably needs a new finishing and maybe some rivet work.

the motor is an OLD Johnson 10hp. its one of the old green ones with the oldschool wings on the side :thumbsup_anim: LOL.

he was told it worked when he got the boat a few years back but hasnt touched it since and he cant get it to turn over now.

anyways...

he said its mine, but i have to name a fair price. Any idea what you would consider fair for this fixer-uper??

thanks for the input.

Hmmm...I did a bunch of research this past fall.

I picked up a 14 foot aluminum, in good condition...solid transom, removable fishing seats, carpeted, minimum dents, rod holders, fishfinder.

Motor I got was a 1983 Merc 18hp 2 stroke. Started up right away when driveway tested.

Bought both for $1,300.

Does your friend's come with a trailer?

For boat and motor, I wouldn't go more than $400. For a trailer in good shape add $300.

no toys to go along with it, no trailer.

i may try to get a pic of it tonight...she aint pretty! LOL B)

CCMT, i was thinking something along $400, keeping in mind there is a LOT of work to be done.

the motor must be from the 60's, im sure some of you have seen em, camo green with the silver wings along the side

The problem with really old outboards is the floats are often toast, and seals on the needle valves are usually pooched. There might have been gas left in it, that has turned to varnish in the fuel system etc. If it starts, at all, most often it won't run smoothly.

Carburetor work on outboards is not rocket science, but it's not changing the spark plugs either.

There will be parts available, if you can do the work, or if you have a friend that's one thing...On the other hand, if you have to pay someone "Shop Rate" your better off buying a more powerful, newer motor.

If you get the motor as a throw-in, and you're anywhere near Peterborough, I have a friend...PM me.

Thanks Garry,

I figure parts like floats and seals will have to be replaced. Me and my old man should be more than capable of giving it an overhaul...

once its been tuned up it should run smoothly shouldnt it?

You may hear from me if i run into any big problems. :whistling:

Why not take the motor too if you do buy the boat? The worst that can happen is you have a motor to trade in at a dealer and maybe get a couple of bucks for it.

But, what is important at this point is that the boat is seaworthy, then get a dependable motor you can trust. Even if the boat looks like a beat up pop can it's nothing without decent propulsion 'cause ya don't wanna hang your head off the transom and start making motor noises with your lips.

Years ago when working in a car dealership service department I overheard a salesman say that to a customer. Turned out he knew the guy pretty good.

But to seriously answer the question presented think of it this way. It's not a car you are riding in where if it quits or leaks water you can get out and stand on solid ground. It's too old to be trusted. There will be one thing after another to go wrong. The motor is older than I am and I'm 51.

Sorry but it's true. Seen it many many times.

How much is aluminum a pound? :whistling:

Years ago when working in a car dealership service department I overheard a salesman say that to a customer. Turned out he knew the guy pretty good.

But to seriously answer the question presented think of it this way. It's not a car you are riding in where if it quits or leaks water you can get out and stand on solid ground. It's too old to be trusted. There will be one thing after another to go wrong. The motor is older than I am and I'm 51.

Sorry but it's true. Seen it many many times.

How much is aluminum a pound? :whistling:

HAHA yep a few yrs back I was buying outboards off Temagami marine 20-30 a yr all the damaged or blown up now it did ent matter if they where 2004 or 1952 Bill made me take them all he said you aint takin the cream puffs and leavin me with that JUNK ,look buy the boat Gerrits got a real nice clean newer 9.9 in the B@S your all set,do not spend money on that dinasour its $$$ you will never get back

Edited by 2 Tone Z71

offer him 25.00 and take it

spary some penetrant down the spark plug hole let it sit a couple of days get some fresh gas couple of ne plugs

if he takes 25 bucks well worth it you can launch it anywhere you dont need a trailer if you want to get away from shore jump on it now you can get better down the road and believe me you could probably flip it for 300.00 if you felt it necessary

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

Advice given to me as a younger person was "Do not throw good money after bad" turned out to be true.

Depending on the extent of the boat damage and estimated fix-up price $200 is in the park---the motor sounds like something you will have to make sure you have a long tow rope.

A few years back I purchased a 16 foot deep lund alum and 20 hp johnny for 1500---everything worked great (little hard on fuel)

If this is a boat for the cottage to fool around a bit maybe you could fix the boat and get yourself a new electric ----just to get you out there until you can upgrade---realistically your not going to go too far in big water in a 14 footer anyway.

Bushart

thanks for all the input guys...

fyi...the boat will be in a very small lake that i normally cover with my canoe.

i think im just gonna show him this post...then he may just give it away! lol :thumbsup_anim:

ill keep you posted..