gore tex rain suit

Handlebarz

I would go with Helly Hansen. They acutally specialize in outer wear. I've been using their jackets for 5 years now, winter and rain. Couldnt be happier. I would definitely pick HH over BPS or Cabelas but I am sure they all will keep you dry.

Edited by Maverick

Well we got our US ordered BPS bibs and pants the other day and I must say I'm quite impressed with their quality.

Have not field tested them yet, but will update once I do. The zippers are a little tricky, but that is because they are waterproof. Gotta be careful and zip slooowwwwww!

Joey

Ok, the question is, do I buy 50 $ gear every 24 months, or 200 $ once every 10 years? It comes out the same, or even cheaper with the cheaper gear when you consider the time cost of money.

On the other hand, I would rather use the good stuff. The difference in purchase price is covered by interest for those ten years. I would gladly pay the 10 $ per year interest on the difference to wear the 100 mph or shimano gear over the less good gear. Who wouldn't?

I have bought two different styles of waterproof outerwear from Wal-Mart. First was a complete set of camo in saddlecloth. Bought new in 1996, still wear it today and nothing compares to it. Soft feel and can stand in the shower all day and not get wet. Cost about $200 total. Last year bought a set of Remington cloth pants and jacket. Cheap to buy at $120 on sale total. Works very well as well and well built. No problems at all.

Have dropped $400 on a set of supposed waterproof camo from Natgear. Might as well wear nothing at all as the water just goes right thru it.

Work supplies us with a fancy $500 set of goretex outerwear. Both sets I have had are not the best. Will leak a bit especially around the crotch. I have never had much luck with goretex.

Ok, the question is, do I buy 50 $ gear every 24 months, or 200 $ once every 10 years? It comes out the same, or even cheaper with the cheaper gear when you consider the time cost of money.

On the other hand, I would rather use the good stuff. The difference in purchase price is covered by interest for those ten years. I would gladly pay the 10 $ per year interest on the difference to wear the 100 mph or shimano gear over the less good gear. Who wouldn't?

I might on a splurge spend 200 for the 100mph suit but since it lists for 119 for the paper thin jacket and 169.99 the light bibs in my size so the total to my door is today 366.82 US. That is WITH the bibs being clearance priced..... SO that is almost double your 200 bucks....

For that I could buy TWO HH compact suits (with all the same properties as gore tex but without the cost)I believe that HH is with respect to quality as highly thought of as whoever made the MPH for basspro (who knows maybe they went down the same assembly line in asia) so that should be a wash. Or even better for the less coin I could do this. Buy one HH compact suit for above freezing temp wet weather and a remington 5 in one jacket and insulated pants during the yearly wallyworld clearance for about 40 bucks less total. I expect the same wear easily out of the either of the TWO suits I buy that you will get from yours.

I have a couple of other advantages though I would not need to layer up under the remington combo in even the coldest part of winter. I have been out in mine when guys in their 400 dollar plus survivor suit were crying it is too windy too cold, my suit is frozen, or I can't get up or walk blah, blah, blah.... I am always warm dry and toasty. Now if we both went in the water they would probably survive better but I ain't going in the water in this lifetime so it doesn't matter to me. Another advantage is when or if one of my suits gets damaged or stolen I still have the other one. So to me in the end I got a THIRD suit the frogg togg for the same price you paid for your one "quality" suit in todays dollars. I can keep the cheapie in the car all the time just in case and not really worry about it at the price I paid. However if I was keeping a 100MPH suit in the car and it got stolen I would freak because with a 500 dollar deductable I would be eating the cost of the loss myself.

(in the past 3 trips I have made to fishing holes guys are talking about car break-ins and equipment being stolen.... seems like the new way for the druggies to make a quick buck around here anyway) Just once I would like to catch some loser at it though....

BTW Gore tex is not a brand of attire or even a manufacturer of any type of clothing it is a technology available to any garment maker for a HUGE fee. Now when you can find gore tex this or that on the internet for less than the price of a meal out, how big a selling feature will it remain? As to it being all that for quality I disagree. I have a buddy who insisted on getting a gore tex coat for camping.... 2 1/2 yrs later and it was no longer waterproof. I have bought used cars for less than he paid for that jacket that lasted long as well.... According to the store it must have been his wife washing it every week to keep it nice and clean for him that ruined it LOL. That was only funny because he only camped 5 weekends a year...... but she wanted it fresh for him to go though....

Edited by Canuck2fan

I have Gore Tex hunting parkas from Cabela's that I have spent the whole day duck hunting in the pouring rain and was warm and dry when the day was done. I also have had a pair of Cabela's Gore Tex hunting gloves that leaked on the first time I wore them but when I called Cabela's they immediately sent out another pair at NO CHARGE and didn't even want the defective pair back. Now I don't know if they treat me like that because I have been a loyal customer with them for almost 30 years and I do use their credit card but because of the way they have ALWAYS treated me when I have had a problem with something I purchased with I will continue to mail order from them. I don't need some customer service rep telling me there is nothing they can do after I plucked down a hundy or two on some outdoor gear. Believe me you can't go wrong ordering from Cabela's :)

helly hansen

a few years ago a few buddies and i went to the french river...anyways went to lebarons and purchased a helly hansen.....probably the best ive ever worn.....even at speeds on the boat it was warm not to mention very dry rain jacket...3/4 lenght...ran me bout 80 bucks......still have it ...and will buy anither anytime.....lightweght and it even looks good....lol

Well I am looking at getting a Gore Tex rain suit this year I see that there are so many out there what makes one better then the other? I will be using it from spring to fall so I dont want anything that is to heavy lined that I will roast in the summer. I was looking at Caballas and Basspro any info on what you all have or like and why? I do think I want bib pants from what I have read they are a little more comfy for FF's.

MrEh,

I think you'd be making the best investment imaginable in getting yourself a Gore-Tex suit for some of the conditions you're thinking about subjecting yourself to, and I speak as a former marathon runner who has worn Gore-Tex wear in this application unrelated to the main topic of this discussion board.

In Northern Ontario the weather is hostile a lot of the time. Any athlete living in such parts and needing to keep the required levels of physical fitness to do it competitively in the outdoors has to find means to meet the extreme conditions and at the same time minimize risks and discomforts. Gore-Tex has proven itself since some time in the 1980's as having the ability to wick away/evaporate excess moisture even in the wettest conditions besides making an excellent windbreaker. OTOH it seems to stop functionng after 2 or 3 seasons; when it starts to fail, you'll know it. I don't know how long it will last in your application but human sweat seems to speed its deterioration. A sweating athlete is one thing, an angler just dealing with hostile weather is another.

Personally, I haven't shopped for Gore-Tex wear lately but the best I can suggest is to shop around and decide what your budget / needs will allow, and whether you want to get that fancy-schmancy "Brand X" or get something else made with the same thing but "gets the job done".

I hope this helps. Test it out in that miserable weather and let us know how you make out.

:canadian:

• 1 year later...

If you decide on Cabela's go to their BARGAIN CAVE first......everything in the cave is on sale.......

BTW.....I just got a Bargain Cave flier in the mail.....there are some rain gear deals in the flier.....here are some close out catalog #'s

55K- 93-3034 (JACKET) $109.99

55K- 93-3035 (PANTS) $89.99

When you go to Cabela's website, at the top right corner is where you put in those numbers.......if your interested and need more let me know.

Good Luck,

Bob

I too mountaineer and ice climb. I use that gear for fishing year round as well. I have a Mammut jacket and Marmot bibs. They are both going on more than ten years old. I have never been wet. The outer material is very tough and durable yet not bulky or over heating so it is comfy to wear in the summer as well.

What you want to look for is taping throughout the entire product not just at the shoulders and stuff. At least a double stiching to give durability and longevity to the product.

Arcterex is another great brand. Although they tend to be a little pricier because they are made in Canada, or they used to be at least.

Well I am looking at getting a Gore Tex rain suit this year I see that there are so many out there what makes one better then the other? I will be using it from spring to fall so I dont want anything that is to heavy lined that I will roast in the summer. I was looking at Caballas and Basspro any info on what you all have or like and why? I do think I want bib pants from what I have read they are a little more comfy for generously proportioned's.

Mike, since you are close to Michigan try Cabela's Bargain Cave for Cabelas Guidewear. In many cases guys have used it for a wk and returned it because that was their plan. You will save $$ in the Cave

I have BPS 100mph jacket and Cabelas bibs, just don't like being a billboard for BPS. Cabelas has small writing that does not look as gaudy. IMHO

I got tired of replacing expensive gore tex (golf rain pants) .. which always eventially failed (faster if you actually get it too wet too often) .. and by the way NEVER EVER wash it ... and none of that re-coating stuff made any difference...

For my money ... I love my honkin bright yellow WETSKIN Hurricane suit (XL Bib and jacket with hood)... I look and feel like a true Newfy fisherman ... not only will you be able to find me if I fall overboard, but I am always the last one off the water in the worst cold/wind/rainy weather ... especially now that I have my new fancy matching wide rimmed hat which prevents the rain from running down the back of your neck ....(that was worth the extra few bucks for sure)

March%20Break%2006%20008%20(Small).jpg

If you decide on Cabela's go to their BARGAIN CAVE first......everything in the cave is on sale.......

BTW.....I just got a Bargain Cave flier in the mail.....there are some rain gear deals in the flier.....here are some close out catalog #'s

55K- 93-3034 (JACKET) $109.99

55K- 93-3035 (PANTS) $89.99

When you go to Cabela's website, at the top right corner is where you put in those numbers.......if your interested and need more let me know.

Good Luck,

Bob

I'm going to figure out duties etc...its just tough not knowing how it'll fit before it gets here. Great prices though!

Well we got our US ordered BPS bibs and pants the other day and I must say I'm quite impressed with their quality.

Have not field tested them yet, but will update once I do. The zippers are a little tricky, but that is because they are waterproof. Gotta be careful and zip slooowwwwww!

Joey

Just because the zippers are taped dose not mean they should be tricky. I have had many taped zipper/seam jackets over the last decade in many different brands like H/H, North Face, Mountian Co ect. All will keep you dry but comfort and user friendly is key. My choice for next season is a Columbia light rain jacket for summer months I picked up at BP for $89 really confortable. Neopren sleves are manditory for me early and late season but not for summer use. One other major factor is when you zip the jacket all the way up make sure no material is rough on your lip, chin or nose. If its any kind of bother after a few minets it will drive you nuts after hours in the wet and cold.

Hope this helps

Joey

A little trick on the zippers Joey is to wax them. I usually forget until I am out with my coat. I have personally used lip balm on several zippers and it works well.

Mike, since you are close to Michigan try Cabela's Bargain Cave for Cabelas Guidewear. In many cases guys have used it for a wk and returned it because that was their plan. You will save $$ in the Cave

I have BPS 100mph jacket and Cabelas bibs, just don't like being a billboard for BPS. Cabelas has small writing that does not look as gaudy. IMHO

I here ya Bob that is what I did I bought my jacket at Caballas last year some one just put this post back to the top. I did buy the lighter duty BPS gortex suit this summer as the Jacket I bought was way to warm for summer rain I would sweat in seconds this fall I would wear the BPS bibs and my caballas jacket and was never cold or wet.

Now, if I had more money I probably would of went for that BPS suit everybody had been talking about but last year as a gift I received a yellow suit by Wet Skins(i think). Best rain gear I have ever worn, perfect for letting air in and water out with different wrist and ankle adjustments. Also, the oversize hood keeps the rain off. Not sure if it would be the best suit to use while fishing shallow water but I seemed to still catch fish while shining above the water line.

Canadian Tire sells them, $149.99