Cayo Largo Cuba-100% DIY shore fishing report

scuro

IMGP0056.jpg

It dawned on me after a few days in Cuba that much is the same here as it is in Northern Ontario. For one you have the untammed bush with mostly low lying scrub.

IMGP0055.jpg

Secondly, you have the human landscape of fallen ideals...

IMGP0084.jpg

...and broken dreams weathered by time and the elements.

IMGP0126.jpg

Thirdly, you have that rustic untouched beauty that looks the same now as it probably did 10 thousand years ago.

IMGP0094.jpg

...and finally if that wasn't enough to convince me of the parallels to Northern Ontario, nature has a way of dominating everything on the island also. Go fishing for a few hours and look what I came back to! As in the north I “gunned” my way out of this hazard.

Cuba, land of Fidel, rum, cigars, and “Hemmingway fishing”. There would be no being strapped to a chair and fighting a giant beast for me. Been there done that. Instead, it was a week of looking for bonefish, finding the predators, and fishing with a local. I had been to the island twice previously and as before it was 100% DIY fishing. The first trip taught me how to saltwater fish, the second how to spot BF, and hopefully this trip ...how to catch one.

It all started out grim...very grim. A guy who had fished the island before, headed down one week before me. He left me a letter at the front desk of my hotel. I read it that first night. It opened with: “NO FISH”, Excuse my language but, “F*#% am I let down”. I fished four days and saw zero bones, zero permit and one small Cuda. The night we arrived was unseasonably windy and cool.

IMGP0023.jpg

Out I went anyways the next morning. Things went from bad to worse.

I went to my favorite spot which is sheltered from most wind and immediately saw three fish cruising... Cudas? Quickly I tied on a fly and headed out on the flat and within a minute I saw two bones approaching. My first cast is good enough, the Bone takes the fly and as simply as that I’ve got my first Bone.

IMGP0021-1.jpg

I get several other shots at other bones that day but don’t hook up again.

It’s a new moon and the current is strong. I hit my second favorite spot where I caught a huge Cuda previously. 5 casts later I hook up with an old friend, wham the line is tight and fish on! There is no way that I am turning this Cuda's head so I keep my rod tip high and watch the leader move steadily up current. Then she breeches, all gorgeous 3 ft of her, and she shakes the hook. In a few short hours I have met both my goals for the trip, I have caught that elusive bone fish and hook into a good Cuda. Later that day I spot permit, a blowfish, and a shark..all for the first time. I come off the flat on a high that day.

Day two brings me back to the same spot. You have to wade out to your chest to do it and most DIY anglers probably have never even thought of attempting it because it looks like you have to swim to get there. A boat from the Casa Batida Fishing Club comes up and tells me that the waters are restricted. My understanding was that the exclusive fishing rights were only for the nature reserve to the north. He wants to know how I got on the flat and if locals helped. I don’t leave but my day is ruined. Needles to say I don’t want to be brought into a Cuban police station. I am very down at the end of the day. It took me two trips to find this spot. Now I dare not risk going back anywhere near this place.

I'm obsessive when it comes to major fishing trips. It came in handy this trip because a plan “B” was already in place. I adopt the 1/2 hour rule which is to move off of a spot if opportunity doesn’t knock in half an hour. I go to the flats that are most frequently fished by other DIY’ers. Nothing on flat one and two.

IMGP0053.jpg

I go to deep cut channel.

IMGP0049.jpg

I pull out some gulp and have fish fighting over the offering. Pound for pound this fish is like a Smallie on steroids. What fish is this?

IMGP0073.jpg

I come back the next day. Only needle fish are biting now.

IMGP0111.jpg

A local shows up, he has a 80's Shimano baitrunner and a broken off humongous Shakespeare rod. He shares some live bait and I quickly rig up as he does. I have to strip off my Swish hooks off of my other lures and I offer him some. I hook into what must be a good sized Cuda. The line goes limp. Nothing for the rest of the afternoon. I return again the next day but nothings happening...time to move on.

IMGP0110.jpg

The locals fish this spot hard with spear guns.

I’ve got to resort to exploring. This is slow tedious work of looking for access points that are not impeded by to much scrub. Along the way I see many beautiful things.

IMGP0080.jpg

A small channel.

IMGP0129.jpg

A starfish

IMGP0098.jpg

I don't know what it is but it sure looks purdy.

IMGP0088.jpg

What can only be described as a southern kingfisher.

IMGP0082-1.jpg

Watch out for those stingrays...they like to bury themselves in the sand. One quick move and you'll have a spike stuck in your leg.

IMGP0086.jpg

After two days of searching I find what I am looking for. The next day I come back and there is virtually no wind. Lots of life....minnows, crabs, birds, stingrays. I hold on my spot and then they come. 2, 3 bones ....10 swimming close to my feet...crap ...it blows my mind. The water is so still that any movement I make spooks them and they all dash off. I wait and try to see them before they see me. The school comes back and finally I hook one. Off she goes and ding the line hits a mangrove root and she is gone. I hook into another with the same result. The school is very restless now and moves away. I come back the next day, the wind has changed, my fish are gone.

IMGP0030.jpg

On my final day I take out my wife. She likes to fish but the resort is too much of a temptation for her.

IMGP0123.jpg

I spot fish but she can't see them even when they are pointed out to her. We give er up after 2 hours. She likes Kesagami better. There is always some action going on in those waters. I drive her back and head back to the channel for one last attempt at a big fish. I chuck my fav lure. A few days ago I saw what can only be described as a Dr. Seuss fish (a shaped like a ham roast on the bone except with big lips to boot) It's been six days and I still haven't brought a Cuda to hand or something to really bend the rod. Nothing after an hour of fishing. DOH...I removed the swish hook for the local. It's been a blessed experience...I've had my mental slate wiped clean...time to go back and catch the plane.

That was great thanks for taking the time to post!, felt like I was right there with you :) .

I did a similar fishing trip to Cayo Coco a few years ago and I've always wanted to go back.

Great country, largely undeveloped with incredible coffee and rum as a big bonus (can't go wrong ;) )

SUPERB! You sure know how to live large! :thumbsup_anim:

At 46 you better live large.

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

That Yellow Jack lived another day...simply happy to catch fish.

Great Report. Nice to see some pictures of different species, looks like you had a blast! I can't wait till i can get my fly-rod out.....but that's a ways off yet....going ice fishing this weekend lol

that was a solid report....keep them coming

-R

Edited by Ramble On

I pictured ya Chris at the comp for hours going over Google Earth Cayo Largo with a fine tooth comb, maybe even trying to spot bones swimming in the flats from satellite. :w00t:

The flies :thumbsup_anim: , the ground work, the learning curve... job well done. :clapping: Check a bone and jack off the list dood.