Rod and Reel Preference

muskymike

Hey guys,

I am going to probably pick up a rod or 2 at the show this weekend and was wondering what everyone else uses.

I am strictly a St. Croix user right now but I am willing to try out others.

I have looked at the Musky Series GLoomis Rods but was not that impressed and have been pondering the Compres. I have played with them in the store, but havnt had the opportunity to give one a shot on the water. They are slightly heavier then the St. Croix's but I can handle that.

Would you guys recommend the Compre?

Also, I am in the market for a decent trolling reel and I like what I see in the Tokota's, feed back on trolling reels is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Hit the search function and you should be good for reading material 'till morning.

What's wrong with a Loomis? Seems to handle aerobatic 50's just fine.. As does the Compre. Haven't been lucky enough to test the 6' 9" St. Croix on one yet!

The Loomis lines seem to really focus on the Bucktail/Topwater style so far. I am assuming next year they will release a few more actions that will fair better with different styles of lures. I am no expert at all, and notice a huge difference between actions and lures with my St. Croix's.

I will look very closely at the Compre's this weekend though. I think they will perform better then I can hahaha.

Mike, I've been using both St. Croix & Compres for muskies for quite awhile and they're both excellent rods in my opinion, infact I just bought another 7' 6" Heavy Compre at the show today along with a Calcutta TE400 to go with it.

I also use a Tekota 600LC for trolling and again, it's a great piece of equipment that I'd highly recommend. It's very smooth with alot of cranking power and handles big bait very well.

If it says Shimano, you know your getting quality ;)

Edited by lew

I picked up a 8' Compre at the show today from Grimsby tackle for $149 tax in. Looks really pretty underneath my Abu Garcia Record.

I cannot WAIT to get this on the water!

Edited by BillM

Premiere.

St. Croix cancelled the Avid line of muskie rods a couple of years ago. If you're looking for muskie rods, your options when going St. Croix are the Premier and the expensive Legend Tournament Muskie line. I am not sure if they are making any in the cheaper, off-shore built Triumph line.

They have definitely dropped the Avid line for the Legend Tournament. I picked up 2 Avids last spring. T They were shipped in from St. Croix in WI and I talked to the rep here. He said they only had 3 left so I took 2 of them. I am so glad I did. I dont mind Paying the price for the Legends but if i am going to spend that amount I am going to look at other lines (ie G Loomis) as well before I purchase.

I will go with a Premier as I actually really like the one I have right now. Its a broom stick but I love it.

I was looking at Shimano Calcutta rod at the show yesterday and it looked pretty nice and was in the $260 range if I remember correctly. I don't know anything about that model but it sure had a nice feel to it.