Auto Inflatable Life Vests

I decided to go out and buy a Stearns auto inflatable PFD vest the other day.....I installed the CO2 cartridge and the small green ativation pin.. :thumbsup_anim: .....my question is: HOW do I know that this thing will actually work????....Has anyone ever tried theirs??...Is it wise to go out and buy a couple of spare cartidges and try it out first??.....do the CO2 cartidges have an expiry date???

Thanks.....

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

they work great ... did you get the auto inflate model ... the one with a " alka seltzer tablet"

or the one with the pull pin?...or does it have both.... I was wearing mine when the wife pulled the pin... BOOM ...there is was inflated... She thought it was hillarious...

they work great ... did you get the auto inflate model ... the one with a " alka seltzer tablet"

or the one with the pull pin?...or does it have both.... I was wearing mine when the wife pulled the pin... BOOM ...there is was inflated... She thought it was hillarious...

It has both...not sure if it has an " alka seltzer tablet" or not, but it does state that the pdf will auto inflate if comes in contact with water...

What happens if you're wearing this vest in a down pour????????? :unsure:

VEST.jpg

You can goto your local pool and try them out it is good practice to do this once a year be sure to weigh yourself down with whatever it is you carry on your person when fishing weight matters. open it up to see how it is packed so that you can repack it after inflation. get a gallon of DI water to rince it with after and hang it to dry DO NOT REPACK IT WETOR DAMP ENJOY :thumbsup_anim:

Yes, they do work but they also have a "manual" (you blow into the darn thing) fill tube on them just in case. Rain isn't usually enough to set the auto inflate off (at least I've never seen it happen) The CO2 cartridges do not have a "best before" date.

The alka seltzer tablets are usually called bobbins. Couldn't find a nice write-up on Stearns' website, but this Mustang product is close enough for a rough illustration. When you get dunked, the water dissolves these things, and that sets the CO2 cartridge off.

I've got no experience with inflatable PFDs, other than their being included in a seminar I took at the boat show this year. The instructor said that these bobbins degrade over time...humidity in the air, I guess. This can make them auto-inflate at random. He recommended changing out bobbins once a year under normal conditions. I'm sure the guys here will know if spending a lot of time out in a rain suit means you need to replace more often.

They set off one of the Mustang units as part of the seminar. I was surprised at how gently it inflated. Dunno why I was expecting something more like an air bag.

TMH, I'm sure your aware of it, but incase your not, those inflatables must be worn at all times when your in the boat in order for them to be legal, you can't have them over the back of your seat or in a locker.

If you do have a regular PFD in your boat, then the inflatable doesn't have to be worn.

But as I say, that's just an FYI incase your weren't aware of it.

TMH, I'm sure your aware of it, but incase your not, those inflatables must be worn at all times when your in the boat in order for them to be legal, you can't have them over the back of your seat or in a locker.

If you do have a regular PFD in your boat, then the inflatable doesn't have to be worn.

But as I say, that's just an FYI incase your weren't aware of it.

I wasn't aware of that Lew...thanks!!

The whole idea of buying this vest is for the purpose of always wearing it....my wife's girlfriend's husband drowned last year...he had just retired from the navy and was a great swimmer....the problem was that he was thrown from his bass boat after colliding with a shoal and an auto inflatable vest may have saved his life!!....most of my fishing is done solo so and I have to keep the wife happy :thumbsup_anim: ....she actually paid for this vest while we were out shopping :clapping::Gonefishing:

TMH, I also spend alot of time fishing solo and am as guilty as anyone for not wearing a PFD, but last August I was alone in the boat while casting in some pretty rough water up on the West Arm of Nippissing. There wasn't another boat around for miles and even the cottages are pretty sparce along that north shore.

I realized how stupid I was being and put a jacket on, and it was funny, but I immediately felt much more secure and made a promise to myself right then that I'd start wearing it alot more when I'm solo, specially on those big, relatively empty lakes.

Edited by lew

TMH, I also spend alot of time fishing solo and am as guilty as anyone for not wearing a PFD, but last August I was alone in the boat while casting in some pretty rough water up on the West Arm of Nippissing. There wasn't another boat around for miles and even the cottages are pretty sparce along that north shore.

I realized how stupid I was being and put a jacket on, and it was funny, but I immediately felt much more secure and made a promise to myself right then that I'd start wearing it alot more when I'm solo, specially on those big, relatively empty lakes.

I catch myself doing that as well Lew.

IMHO, the greatest thing about these inflatable PFDs is that I wear mine continuously while fishing - and isn't that the point. For over 40 years, although my PFD was always in the boat, it was never worn. I purchased the Mustang Auto Hydrostatic Activation model. It doesn't inflate until it is submerged 4 inches or more in water. Testing the bladder is simple. Inflate the bladder manually through the blow tube (it took less than 6 full breaths to achieve complete inflation). Check whether or not bladder is still fully inflated 12 hours later. The carbon dioxide cartridge is good for 5 years. These inflatable PFDs provide approximately 35 pounds of buoyancy. Most of us require between 10 and 15 pounds of buoyancy to keep us afloat.

I bought an auto inflatable one last year but I also found out that it HAD to be WORN to be legal. That wasn't so bad as I usually wear my PFD when alone. What turned me off of it was the fact that it seemed heavy on one side and kind of bulky. Will it REALLY work if I bang my head going into the water??? That was a nagging doubt as well. I took it back. Obviously they are not for everyone( or just me).

I finally found the PERFECT vest for me. It is called the Angler by Salus. It is made in Kitchener/Waterloo and is so light & roomy , I usually forget to take it off! It has lots of pockets/storage and even has "hand warmers under the front pockets. It is also VERY nice for river/stream fishing. And YES I have tested it in the water...works great!

Not saying you should take yours back but definitely an option for others. Here is a link to their site. The Angler is shown in the Marine/Sail catalogue & bthey even have lots of childrens PFD etc.

http://www.salusmarine.com/home.html

FT

Not meaning to hijack the thread here, but I was thinking of getting one of these, preferably an autoinflating one (if I smack my head and become unconscious I want the thing to go off) but the question I have, is the difference between the bobbin ones and the hydrostatic ones. I know what the difference is, and I know there is a bit of a difference in price. What I do want to know is, how are the bobbin one in the rain? Last thing I want is for the thing to pop while I am fishing in a deluge (but Ill make sure I hide the manual inflation pull tab when I am around my wife :clapping: )

Again.....sorry if I am jacking the thread but it reminded me that I wanted to ask this.... :D

Thanks

Bill

I bought one two years ago (not auto inflating though) and I love it, I find it so comfortable that I often forget that I even have it on. BTW, I checked with the Coast Guard, Auto inflating ones HAVE to be worn to be legal, the ones like I have (you have to pull the cord) DO NOT have to be worn to be legal (don't ask me why but that is what they said! I always wear mine now when I am out in the boat anyway though.

I bought one two years ago (not auto inflating though) and I love it, I find it so comfortable that I often forget that I even have it on. BTW, I checked with the Coast Guard, Auto inflating ones HAVE to be worn to be legal, the ones like I have (you have to pull the cord) DO NOT have to be worn to be legal (don't ask me why but that is what they said! I always wear mine now when I am out in the boat anyway though.

Big Cliff.....I have the auto and pull start :lol: .....I just wonder sometimes if it'll work when you need it!!! :w00t: ......it does have a manual inflator though and TomCat said it only took 6 deep breaths to inflate it....