Cancer Rant Nf

Lowe Rider

Here I sit the day after another funeral wondering why I've lost one more family member to this damn disease. Three years ago it was my father at the ripe old age of 56, my grandad in his 60's. Yesterday we laid to rest my wife's stepmom, again way to young (62). I got lucky , I have two sets of inlaws and unlike some others I know, both of them are great.

My rant is what the heck is taking so long to find a way to beat this thing. I mean for as long as I can remember (I'm 37) they've been looking for a cure. Millions of dollars and all this time for what. I will still do my part to help but where's the light at the end of the tunnel?

Sorry for the downer post but I just needed to vent.

So a Merry Christmas to all members of the board, give all your loved ones a hug cause that's what it's all about. The rest is just a bonus.

Chris.

Chris, I lost my grandfather in the 60`s,my dad in 91, my mom lost an eye to cancer 2 years ago, other family members and friends are gone from it. It does get a bit frustrating, it seem like they have been working on a cure forever. Millions? More like billions.

There has been progress, it used to be a death sentence, some people beat it now.

I was diagnosed with colon cancer in mid 1999 .. . . . my chances were iffy at best . . . . it was suggested I get my affairs in order, as I might not make it to Christmas. I did the operation, and against the doctor's advice, opted to keep as much of my colon as possible. It wasn't quite as bad as was thought . . . but after a tough journey through chemo & radiation, things were lookin' up till early 2004 when a random PSA test discovered ANOTHER cancer . . . . prostate this time . . . . more radiation . . . . still kickin' though! Meanwhile, 7 others known to me, in that time frame have died of colon cancer? All good people, hard working . . . none smoked, most looked after their health . . . . I sometimes wonder what's so special with my case? Good doctors . . . . the best . . . . good hospital care . . . again . . . second to none . . . . plus, I'm stubborn as hell . . . . . I'd gotten away from fishing for a few years . . . . and wanted MORE!! Believe it or not . . . . as I lay on a gurney, in the hall, outside of the operating room door . . . . I can still remember thinking . . . . "For years I've been gonna chase some o' them big trout & salmon . . . . always next year . . . . I just wish I had taken the time . . . . . . . ." There is no such thing as a 'good time' to lose someone . . . . and Christmas has gotta be the worst . . . . . . but . . . . it CAN be beaten . . . . although I'm only 'in remission,' I'll beat it again! Early detection is the answer . . . breast exams . . . . colonoscopies (can almost eradicate colon cancer) and P S A tests once you hit 40, on a regular basis . . . if we could just get EVERYONE to do these tests, this would save countless lives. I'm very sorry for you & your family's loss . . . . I'm in that age group too (almost 60) and VERY alert to any unusual changes in my day to day health. Let's just hope it leaves your family alone now . . . . and I hope 2007 is a MUCH better year for you!

Guest Trophymuskie

Photoz isn't PSA tests not covered by our great government? If it was free I am sure all men would be getting them regularly once they reach 40. As well isn't "men" cancers way at the bottom of the researh dollar list?

Wow...sorry to hear about your loss Chris. I think everyone here has had this terrible disease strike close to home. I lost my father to it back in 1994...he fought it for 3 years....he was 55 years old. My grandmother, my uncle...also died at an early age.

They are making progess...and stories like Photoz' gives hope to those stricken by this disease. I donate every year to the Canadian Cancer Society in hopes that our future generations can live longer and healthier lives.

Cliff

I survived testicular cancer in 1998. Things were scary, for sure. But, like Photoz, I had good care and went through the treatment. The cure rate for testicular cancer is very high, as it is for prostate cancer.

I think the PSA test is only about $40. That shouldn't stop anyone from getting it done. The 'manual' test for prostate issues is free. No excuse for not getting it done.

Anyone over 40 should be getting regular testing for colon and prostate cancer. Any men under 35 should be getting checked for testicular cancer (it is the number one cancer for men 16 to 35).

There's no words I can give you to describe the day your doctor tells you you have cancer. There's also no words to describe the day your oncologist says he doesn't need you to come back for check-ups anymore either.

This Christmas give your family the gift of knowing you'll be around for a long time and make your appointments!

I'm sorry for your loss, Chris. We've all been touched by this disease and while many great strides have been made, we've a long way to go.

I had the PSA test done last August. It cost me $30.00 at my doctors office but I was told that I could get it done at our regional hospital at no cost. I don't know the details of how the free test works because I didn't go that route. By the ways guys, it's a simple blood test. No poking and prodding involved, unless they find reason to test further. I'm also scheduled for a colonoscopie next March. Yup. I'm at that age where I have to pay attention to these things.

My sympathies to those of you that have lost friends and family to this terrible disease. May you have a peaceful and joyous Christmas.

It's kinda strange how many of us balk at spending $40.00 for a blood test that could save our lives, but will never give a second thought to dropping $40.00 at our fave tackle shop for stuff to join an already large (and mostly unused) collection in the bottom of a THIRD tackle box? The way my doctor phrased the question to me . . . . "How wouldja like to spend $40.00 and maybe save your life?" Considering my insurance pays 80% . . . I'd call it a real bargoooooooooon, eh? Especially when it discovered prostate cancer at its earliest stage. I would have been looking at 3 years or more before symptoms would have showed, by then drastically limiting my chances. A simple poke in the arm to draw blood. You can virtually 'buy' your life for $40.00! And the colonoscopy . .. . definitely not too high on our 'favorite things to do' list, but considering the hell I went through because I was too squeamish to take my doctor's advice, it certainly would have been a lot easier to have just accepted it as one of life's less pleasant proceedures, and gone through it! Ain't hindsight a wonderful thing?

Sorry to hear that Chris. My father got lung cancer at 35 and they did an operation to remove half of one of his lungs. It was successful, but only due to a rare experimental treatment they did back then. They skin grafted his arm and leg and injected him with this experimental antibiotic. Those open skin grafts wept for over a year and it was very uncomfortable for him and quite disgusting, but it saved his life. He is 72 now. They don't do that treatment any more and I've often wondered why. I should look into it further.

I always donate to The Cancer Society and have wondered why a cure hasn't been found yet. Of all the technology today it really boggles the mind.

I hope your family stays cancer free in the future. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and take care.

Joey

My family to has been touched by Cancer. Specifically my wife had it. She beat it through surgery and Chemo... not very happy times..

In terms of why they havent beat it yet... well I have my own views and alot may not agree with them...

If they cured Cancer the pharmecutical companies would loose money for the simple fact people arent buying the drugs to treat it over the long term Supply and demand. I think the same way with HIV.. If we Cure them where is our customer base.

not to mention the fact that IF Cancer is cured there is no need for the Canadian Cancer Society and no more donations coming in... therefor no more 200,000.00+ dollar a year salaries. they are non-profit after they pay for their administration costs.

Gerritt.

Gerrit, I agree with you 100%. More money in treatment than cure. There's a ton of info around on natural cures but they're all played down because big pharma can't patent the stuff. It's all about the bottom line.

I too have lost a loved one to cancer. My sister passed at 42 from breast cancer, first diagnosed at 30. Gerritt is correct, there is no money in a cure, only in dealing with symptoms. If there was any money in cures, they would be a priority for the phamacutical industry. Just take a look at the common cold... how much money is spent, dealing with symptoms?

The world is run, by the all mighty buck!

Happy holidays to all!

HH

sorry to hear chris, my mom just recently got diagnosed with cancer, and she got the surgery completed and all is well now, thank God.

My family to has been touched by Cancer. Specifically my wife had it. She beat it through surgery and Chemo... not very happy times..

In terms of why they havent beat it yet... well I have my own views and alot may not agree with them...

If they cured Cancer the pharmecutical companies would loose money for the simple fact people arent buying the drugs to treat it over the long term Supply and demand. I think the same way with HIV.. If we Cure them where is our customer base.

not to mention the fact that IF Cancer is cured there is no need for the Canadian Cancer Society and no more donations coming in... therefor no more 200,000.00+ dollar a year salaries. they are non-profit after they pay for their administration costs.

Gerritt.

Gerrit, right on, i agree completely, ive heard a lot of things about ppl finding cures underground and govt paying them a ton not to spread the word and cure.

Edited by urbanangler1990

I agree with everyone who says finding a cure isn't going to happen due to the almighty dollar. Like many diseases now LOOKING for a cancer cure is bigger for the bottom line than finding one ever will be....

Now if someone could come up with a tablet you have to take daily to prevent cancer then it would be availabe in 3 months for those who could afford it.