What Size Kicker.

mrpike

I have come to the PRO's . For this QUESTION. What size kicker would you put on a 17 ft lund with a 115 merc 4 stroke as the main motor . Boat is a LUND 17 ft Explorer. Iam thinking around the 5 hp sizes I just want it to move the boat at a nices steady speed of 1,50 MPH. and up too about 5 MPH. with full control. Even in ruff water and wind conditions. OKAY " Whats your thought on this BOYS and GIRLS.

I want to keep it as light as possible.

THANKS MR. PIKE

Edited by mrpike

I have a 8 horse on my boat and it was on my heavy fiberglass one before this it would do t he job but in higher winds it was a struggel to keep the speed up at the 5mph mark intothe wind sometimes I would have to use the main motor to help get the boat turned then use the kicker again.IMHO a 5hp is to small you need atleast 8hp but you might just as well go with the 9.9 and be sure to get the quick release bar for joining the motors they are awsome.

I found the 9.9 was enough on BOQ this fall for the slow trolling stuff and enough power there when you needed it. We didn't have really rough conditions but for the chop that was there on Sunday morning it was fine. For the high speed trolling I'd go with the bigger motor as Wayne suggested. That's what I do. A 5hp will not be enough I don't think. I've got a buddy that went with a 6hp on his 21 footer and it trolls fine but no boat control. BTW - I've got a Crestliner 1750 Fishhawk with a 115.

I wouldn't go any less than a 9.9 if you have your heart set on a kicker.

If I were rigging a new outfit like that I think I would try trolling the 115(4) and put the kicker money towards about nice bow mount.

It certainly depends on your style of fishing as well. Planer boards and dipsy's would certainly put a 5hp to the test even in calm water.

-Brian

I had a 6 HP Merc long shaft for a kicker on my 16' Crestliner and it would push the boat OK, but if there was a decent cross wind it was almost impossible to make a turn without cranking the motor wide open.

I'd go at least 9.9

I would go with the 9.9 Merc 4 stk. I have one on my 621 and it works fine for all trolling. A bit nosiy for trolling musky but still fine. Take a look at Troll Master. It is a cruise control for kicker motors. I have it and would not have a kicker without one. The cost about $250 US and can be found at Cabela's.

Just think about dialing in your speed(actually rpm) to .1mph. The Pro model has momemtary full throttle and an idle switch. When trolling muskies at 4 mph hit the idle button and slow down to fight the fish at about 1.3 mph. Hit the button again and you are trolling at your same 4 mph. Can you say SWEET!!

There is a short clip of the Trollmaster at www.extremeanglertv.com check "In the Pen" trolling tactics

http://www.extremeanglertv.com/in_the_pen.html

Edited by Bob Devine

I have to agree with some of the othersstay 8 hp or above. The weight difference is not enough to be a concern and in an emergency you will be glad you have the extra power. I have been pricing them lately and the 4 stroke Yamaha is a bit cheaper than the Merc.

I have a 5 and 9.9 Honda. I use the 9.9 on the 19ft. Starcraft fiberglas and the 5 on the 16.5 Lowe. The 5 works great in most conditions including St Clair river currents, but with a stiff cross wind you will have some problems, but even with a bigger boat if aluminum it will have some drift. It trolls down to almost nothing and will travel at approx 7 to 8 MPH when revved out. The real trick is an easy steer or similar device and if you have a console speed control at the steering. If you are purchasing new then opt for the 9.9 as if you ever get a bigger boat you won't have to purchase another kicker. Picture shows my set up.

lowesalm6-2.JPG

Edited by Garyv

I think five will do a nice job but a 9.9 would be better.Go with a four stroke so you can run off your main gas tank this way you will not require an extra tank on board.I am running an 8hp kicker with an 18 foot Lund SSV which is plenty because my boat is quite a bit lighter than an explorer.The reason I would go bigger just in case you have a breakdown or worse you severily damage the prop on your motor.A larger kicker will allow you a little more push in choppy conditions if ever needed to get you back to shore.I manage about 8mph with the kicker wide open.You never know when you will need the extra hp.I notice a my boat will slow down about 3 to 4 mph with the kicker on board but I have a 50hp.The added weight of a 9.9 won't be noticed when your main motor is 115hp.Good luck with your purchase Mike. :santa:

Guest gbfisher

I have a 9.9 on the back of a 2150 lund. In wind stronger than 15 MPH I have to use my big engine to help with the control of the boat. Wind under 10 mph is OK for control. I wish I had put a 15 on the back instead. It trolls slow...down to .5 mph with no wind. You need a 9.9 at least. With wind.... GO bigger! ;)

THANKS !

The vote is in. And it looks like the 9,9 has won . I will start looking for a MEC 9.9 4 STROKE. I think I will add a 4 blade prop. This should help with the control on those windy ruff days, THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT .

MR. PIKE.

:worthy::worthy:

Guest Trophymuskie

I think this is the same deal on the "big foot" models.

The pro kicker is a bigfoot model. :-) I hope the 15Hp prokicker comes out soon, power tilt and trim would be nice.

Most people have recommended a minimum of 10hp.

In stronger winds, it may not be enough to control the boat.

I agree.

I say go with the 15hp. The weight is almost equal to the 9.9 as many manufactures use the same

engine block for both 10 and 15hp engines. (at least they used to)

A four stroke will be quiet and fuel efficient if you can part with the extra coin $$$.

I say 15hp will satisfy all conditions for your boat.

Good luck.

If the pro kicker is not in your budget but like the option of power trim. You could also look at a Panther lift.

The panther bolts on the transom and has an electric motor to trim the kicker. Very convenient and priced at about $550 US. Nice to lift the motor with a buttom in 4 foot waves.

http://www.panthermarineproducts.com

Edited by Bob Devine

mr.pike,if you are going to get one get a 15hp...high thrust ,not a reular 15hp the high thrust does what it says they are made just for being kickers they dont rev hight they have tourque,and an oversized prop for maximum thrust.all the salmon guys have them and the walleye guys as well you wont be disapointed