Hot head cop or mouthy punk?

Fishnwire

Also saves being shot reaching for your ownership in the glove box! Why I keep mine in the visor...

wow....total misconception here...lol...guns don't go in the glove box, they go under the dash or the seat....geez

lol, don't worry about reaching for documents at a traffic stop, it's the guys who are fiddling around moving like they're trying to hid something that's the problem

Hey boys, I'd do it in all states and in all provinces, not because of fear, but out of respect for the other guy trying to do his job. It's an effort on my part to stay safe and make it safer for officers of the law to perform their duties.

No chip on my shoulder.

Good for you. A little humility is a small price to pay for the freedom and relative safety we enjoy in North America. Cops have a tough enough job without having to take that kind of lip from every sullen punk and snotty taxpayer. It's time that particular kid learned a little appreciation for just why he can even think he can get away with that crap.

I only wish the video had been of him encountering a better example of police protection than that clown but no one ever wants to bother showing or even recording those guys, do they? That so many otherwise law abiding folks are so willing to slag LEOs is in itself a sad commentary on how our society is regressing.

Lack of respect for a few policemen leads to lack of respect for all of them, and that leads to a lack of respect for the law generally, and that leads to disrespecting the entire system which assures us of a reasonably safe comfortable existance. Without rules and people willing to obey them we have anarchy, and that cop and that kid both would either rise to the very top or be taken down is a serious way with their respective attitudes, and the rest of us would be very very unhappy with the way we were living.

One of our sons went to Cuba when he was 16 with his high school volleyball team to play a series of exhibition games (yeah, they were pretty good for a high school team). He brought home pics of a few of them braced against a police van on a city street with several black uniformed officers holding what looked to be machine pistols with the shoulder extension and big magazines. He told me they were just talking to these cops and asked if they could pose the picture for fun. The cops went along with it. The smiles on their faces said it all. But Steve (our son) said he sure figured out quick that the whole world doesn't have it as good as we do in North America. You can bet he'd be like you if he got pulled over today, and he wouldn't mind a bit.

JF

wow....total misconception here...lol...guns don't go in the glove box, they go under the dash or the seat....geez

It's a good idea when carrying a revolver under the seat to be sure it's secure. We were riding with a friend in Tennessee one evening when this peculiar strangling sound came from the back seat. I turned and saw my wife pointing at the floor near her feet - at a big ole 6 shooter. My friend just chuckled and told her to kick it back under the seat. She did, very carefully.

JF

most of those videos (except for the cop on the hood shooting) are missing key parts of what may have happened so it's hard to judge,

i did like one of his lines though, it's one i use on almost a daily basis at work

kid: i'm calling my mom

me: good, come into my office and u can use my phone, i'd like to talk to your mom as well

some people say that they(the parents) are the only ones who should talk to their kids in a certain manner,

and i tell them that if they did, i wouldn't have to, i'm not here to babysit your child, but i have no problems yelling at them for doing something wrong in a public place without direct adult supervision

there are certain places for kids to hang out and to do certain activities, just because a place is public doesn't mean u can skateboard there or play hockey there or even hang out there,

we have large no loitering signs at work and enforce them

i always tell parents that rules are there for the safety of you're child n the public, and we all know that if ur child was hurt "playing" in public places the first thing most people think of is law suit

anyways good discussion

BTW. I don't hate kids at all, and I don't even hate kids with spirit. They're the ones who'll take over this world. I hate the people who spoil the kids' potential. It's a very fine line to walk between freedom to grow & indulgence.

JF

I agree wholeheartedly, you are a wise man sir.

I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks a cop has the right to beat on some kid if he's "disrespectful" is a moron, plain and simple.

I'm not talking about people who initiate a physical confrontation with a police officer, if someone's stupid enough to do that, they can expect a beat-down. I'm talking about people who are "mouthy".

There is no law that says a citizen has to refer to a cop as "officer", that kid could call the cop "dude" all day, and there really isn't a thing the cop can do about it. It would be nice if we lived in a world where all 14 year old kids were never mouthy, but we don't and we never will. 14 year old kids are often mouthy by nature, I'm not saying that's OK, but it's a fact of life. If you are the type of person who flies off the handle when some little punk runs his mouth off, instead of being an adult and ignoring the little turd, then you have no business being a police officer. Unfortunately, part of a policeman's job is taking crap from morons, and not blowing their lid over it. That's what the good ones do every day. Any of them that can't handle that should be permanently relieved of duty...WITHOUT pay!

A cop has no more right to smack someone around just for being disrespectful anymore than a mailman, garbageman or waiter does. It's obviously preferable not to go around being a hole to people. That's good advice not just when dealing with cops, but anybody you find yourself interacting with in the course of your day. As we all know, sometimes people we deal with are not pleasant, occasionally downright abrasive. But none of us, including cops, have the right to assault anyone based solely on them being "disrespectful."

If a cop put my kid in his car and brought him home to me, saying the only reason was that my kid called him "Dude", I would tell the cop he's not a dude, he's a hotheaded bully. I'd demand he left my property immediately, then I'd file a formal complaint.

The mouth little turd should not have been in that spot....nor does the camera offer the full story of what occurred. The officer was suspended with pay to appease, the whiney do good public....

The officer should be referred to as officer.......it is what he is. just like a preacher should be referred to as Reverend or Pastor.

The camera does not tell the whole story......If you are asked by a person of authority to do something, it is not up for discussion.....it should be done.

Too bad the officer never had a under 18 year brother to come and kick the crap out of the mouth piece

Guest lundboy
The mouth little turd should not have been in that spot....nor does the camera offer the full story of what occurred. The officer was suspended with pay to appease, the whiney do good public....

The officer should be referred to as officer.......it is what he is. just like a preacher should be referred to as Reverend or Pastor.

The camera does not tell the whole story......If you are asked by a person of authority to do something, it is not up for discussion.....it should be done.

Too bad the officer never had a under 18 year brother to come and kick the crap out of the mouth piece

Oh right I forgot. Bow down to the gods at all costs, and do not question or talk back.

Soon the brown shirts will be coming down the street, looking for anyone not cowtowing. Snitch lines are already here, why stop there.

Yes these people are in "authority" as you put it, but that gives them no reason to overstep their "authority" and manhandle people at will, that happen to question their authority in a given situation because of ignorence or intent.

As far as the video goes, with that cop, if the kid had done ANYTHING other than what you see in the video, he probably would have ended up in the hospital, and certainly at the station with charges of assault or whatever the cop could make up. So yeah, you are probably right the camera doesn't tell the whole story. It tells a small piece of a lot BIGGER story that is now being recorded for prosperity because of the access to small personal recording devices.

No one would ever have known this went down if someone hadn't been lucky enough to catch it as it happened, and the creep would continue to do it again and again. And worse set a precedence for the next ogre cop to manhandle someone without fear of consequences.

Edited by lundboy

Like Heck! So if I am told by a cop that I have to allow him do to something that he has no right to do, I should let him? Nonsense!

Cops often ask (demand) citizens to do things they have no right to ask. They're trained to do so, and the cops on this thread can (but probably won't) back me up. It makes their job easier by taking these kind of short-cuts. They are counting on the public being ignorant to their rights and being able to intimidate them. For example, I've been minding my own business at a public gathering and been asked to show my ID to a cop. Since I didn't have to in that situation, I didn't.

Another example. If you are asked to commit to a search of your property (including your car) the officer must tell you exactly what he's looking for, and exactly what you've done to give him reason to believe he's going to find it. If he says he'd just like to take a look, tell him "have a nice day, now" and be on your way.

This idea of kids having no place to go irks me to no end........perhaps there parents should move......or they should buy land to play.......business and industry pay taxes that support parks

Wow! In what world of privilege do you exist that you think the average parent has the financial means to relocate or buy land so that their kids can have somewhere to play? Do you really think that is an option for any more than about 3% of the population? Is that how you had it when you were a kid?

BTW, it's a fact that the burden of taxation falls mainly on working people, not business and industry...but that's a whole other thread.

I'll try to be short and sweet....

1.Shouldn't this cop have something better to do? Downtown Baltimore...theres probably a drug addict around the corner shooting up about to rob someone.

2. Disrespect is not a crime and does not require physical force. Not the Officers place to teach him respect, that would be his parents place. Even if he is disrespectful officers cant go around beating people they think are disrespecting them.

3. If he was holding a fishing rod instead of a skateboard most of you guys would have his back, not saying he should be smacked. The officer was probably beaten as a child....look at him, did it work ;) ?

4.This cop is a 16 year veteran and he's in that little crappy car messing with skateboarders...seems like the department doesn't like him anyway. My guess is he will be fired.

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

Guest lundboy
I'll try to be short and sweet....

1.Shouldn't this cop have something better to do? Downtown Baltimore...theres probably a drug addict around the corner shooting up about to rob someone.

2. Disrespect is not a crime and does not require physical force. Not the Officers place to teach him respect, that would be his parents place. Even if he is disrespectful officers cant go around beating people they think are disrespecting them.

3. If he was holding a fishing rod instead of a skateboard most of you guys would have his back, not saying he should be smacked. The officer was probably beaten as a child....look at him, did it work ;) ?

4.This cop is a 16 year veteran and he's in that little crappy car messing with skateboarders...seems like the department doesn't like him anyway. My guess is he will be fired.

-Ben

Bravo... perfect!

Guest lundboy

If any of you still have doubts that some cops make up laws or policies (on their own) to suit them in a given situation, have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfQrDK9YHas

This stuff happens everywhere (not just the U.S.) way more than it should. It may be done out of ignorence of the laws, or intentional... you decide. One way or another society suffers, because no one really knows what the laws are (except for this guy).

Edited by lundboy

The only real damage done to that young lad was his pride and losing face with his friends. The police officer no doubt was doing a "paid duty" thinking it would be easy extra money patrolling areas that the public have complained about. Did he scare the kid....no doubt. Did he physically abuse him...I don't think so...he was a bit rough with the lad, and in my opinion went on too long with his lecture and a very loud one at that. If anything it was the loud lecture that got on my nerves.

Like someone said earlier...not one of us perfect. We all have bad days and yet my very worst day could never compare to what some police officers have to endure on a "daily basis". Let's face it....our world has changed.

My 25 year old son has been a police officer for 5 years. I hear a lot. I have watched the change in his eyes. I know so much more than the average citizen, I wish I didn't but I do and I don't want him ever to stop telling me the most horrific parts of his job. I am proud of him...so proud of him but I wish he would have been a teacher instead. Thankfully he doesn't take my advice which is "shoot first, and ask questions later"...some days are pure hell for him and we all expect him to go from a rape of a child back on the road and being polite to the next guy who just happens to want to spit in his face.

God Bless all Police Officers

Edited by twilight

in regards to having to tell people what we're searching for....well no...we don't have to. Criminal Code tells us we can search if it's lawful, we don't have to let people know why we're searching their cars etc....it's call plain view....common law tells us we can search anywhere we can see...hence not the trunk unless the person is under arrest

In my 62 years I have known many cops, drank with some, fished with others, played paintball with some, when I lived in French River the OPP detachment was quite small and you got to know the guys really well, they like the rest of us were people, they had good days and bad but they always conducted themselves in a professional manner (well at least when they were on duty LOL)......

Never in 62 years have I had a feeling of being intimidated, never have I been treated without respect, never have I been afraid for my safety. Mayby I was just lucky but I think it is more accurate to believe that while there are bad (just about everything) out there in the world the percentage of bad ones is very small. Unfortunatly one bad one gets a lot of press, a hundred good ones hardly ever get noticed.

That old saying "do a hundred good things no one remembers, do one bad thing no one forgets".

I couldn't be a cop for all the money in the world, they are accountable to everyone, you and me, SIU, IA, and working all the time never knowing if their next call is going to result in them having to fight for their life. Saddly we loose far too many every year while doing their jobs. I have nothing but respect for them (mayby that's why I don't feel intiminated or threatened, you think?)

So lets stop bashing cops and just bash those few idiots that give cops a bad name.

in regards to having to tell people what we're searching for....well no...we don't have to. Criminal Code tells us we can search if it's lawful, we don't have to let people know why we're searching their cars etc....it's call plain view....common law tells us we can search anywhere we can see...hence not the trunk unless the person is under arrest

I wasn't talking about plain view. Obviously if you have a handgun and bag of weed on the seat next to you, you're screwed. But if the cop wants to get in the vehicle and route around under the seats, open the glovebox or trunk, or have you empty your pockets, what I said earlier is entirely true, and you know it...despite how much you hate to admit it. Don't try to distort the truth so you can continue to subvert the rights of law obeying citizens who happen to be unaware of them.

Admit it...we don't always have to do what a police officers asks of us, do we? What you said earlier would make your life a lot easier, but in fact is not true.

Unfortunatly one bad one gets a lot of press, a hundred good ones hardly ever get noticed.

I agree with that comment for sure. But one also has to realize, I think anyway, that ONE bad cop or bad anyone for that matter can do alot of damage ( physical, mental, etc ) to a person in a very short time and it CAN, not always, take alot more time to recover from it.

Someone also made a comment that the cop "hardly used much force on the kid" or something like that. From what I understand isn't ANY unwanted physical contact considered assault? Why isn't it so when an officer does it? In the case of this kid, the kid made no indication of being aggressive NOR threatening. The way he was holding that board sure didn't look like it was going to be used as a "deadly weapon".

And also someone asked if there are any videos out there of GOOD cops. Well this one came to mind. I've seen

it before and just searched and found it. Talk about patience, professionalism and a class act. Loved the way he dealt with the guy.

Bonghitts,I can tell you that being confrontational with the police is not a good plan.The prisons are full of jailhouse lawyers.For the most part cops are just doing what they have to do to get thru the day.They put their life on the line for people who they dont even know.They have to make decisions that may kill them or other innocent people on very short notice.Its very easy to be a Monday morning quarterback and hindsite is 20/20.I have never been mistreated by the cops in any way shape or form.I pretty much follow T-guys procedure when I get pulled over.As people get older and wiser their perspective changes.I wonder what your age is and what you do for a living now.I also wonder if your perspective will change in 20 years.BTW,love the handle!

Joe