So how was the fishing show?

Kawartha Kev

I saw a topic about the fishing show and who was going and wondered what the reviews were. How did it compare to the old fishing show that used to go on at the international center or to the Sportsman's show at the trade center. Was considering going on the weekend if it was worth the trip out.

Any thoughts anybody?

Kawartha Kev

I was there today from 11 - 4 and had a pretty good day, although most of the time was spent yakking with other OFNers which is always good.

It was OK but it seemed to me it was more of a boat show this year, with some fishing added in. The vast majority of the building is full of boats and the fishing booths are around the outside perimeter.

All the usual fishing folks are there...JB's.... Tightlines...Fishing World......Grimsby Tackle, plus a few other smaller ones.

Like I say, it was OK, but if someone were to ask me if they should drive 100 miles to see it, I'd tell them no. It's just my opinion, but I don't think it's even close to what the show was a few years back and it just plain seems to be lacking something. :dunno:

On the + side, it's free parking, only $12 to get in and you get to look at boats and fishing gear for a day.

Thanks Lew. Glad you got to meet up with a few board folks to kinda fill in the blanks. On the fishing side of things, did you spot anything great or spectacular? I know it's always nice to yak with the folks at JB's and the others.

I was there for a few hours today. It seemed kinda small to me this year. And I agree with the other comments about more boats than fishing stuff. Just had to add that I bought a new flipping rod from J&B's Fishing Depot while there. Very good experience. A Mfr's rep called Shaun helped me out a lot, even to pointing out some baits that worked well in a tournament last year at my new home lake (Scugog). That made my trip to the show worthwhile. I think going is more of a tradition for me than anything else.

Guest lundboy

It's not everyday you get to meet a TRUE fishing legend. I've talked with (not at this show) Izumi a ton of times, same with the CSF people (yuk), and they are not worthy! There are few legends in the fishing world....

Well... I got to meet Big Al! His presentation was awsome! Started at 5:30PM and went a full hour. It was almost like a live "F-L-P" seminar (some of you older guys will know what this is).

Afterwards he fielded some questions, then took off the mic, sat on the edge of the stage and just chatted with people for over 30 minutes. Rocky Crawford then joined him and I had a chance to talk with the two of them about the old In-Fisherman days, and Rocky and Al both commented how much it has "gone down hill".

I'd say for me, that was the first time I got my money's worth at a fishing show.

He will be back at it on Saturday at 11:30 AM for those that missed him.

One thing that was extremely interesting but probably most people will miss, is the antique lure booth. There are a whole series of lures that that were the original prototypes (from Finland) for the Rapala. The real interesting thing is that this collector also has the originals that Lauri Rapala COPIED the idea from (was a friend of Lauri Rapala). Have a look if you are there.

I brought along an old (FLP) book that Al Lindner produced while at In-Fisherman and he was really surprised to see it, he was kind enough to sign it for me.

Here's some photos for those that missed out:

Edited by lundboy

lew,

I was wondering should I go to this show or to the one in London next weekend.

Based on what you've said I'd probably do the London one as I've already seen all the boats one could see at the boat show last month.

I am looking for few things for my fishing boat...not another boat;-)

Life jackets/safety gear/anchor rope 200' of 3/8"/water proof flash light/compass/ jumper cables/ Cannon MAG 10 HS....is some of the stuff I need....if you haven't seen any good deals on those I might be better heading to London next weekend.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

It was great if you were looking for a boat that's for sure!

As for fishing gear, the usual suspects were there and there were deals to be had, I picked up a Quantum Energy 30PTi spinning reel for $90 from JB's - the $15 rebate, I pretty much stole the reel that everyone else was trying to sell for $169.99. Add a 6'6" MH St. Croix spinning rod and I was out just over $200.

It was good to see a few OFC'ers, I had a great conversation with Lew (I'm going to take you up on your offer this summer). Then to boot, I ran into an old friend's brother who I haven't seen in quite a few years (they saw the light and left Toronto to move up to Sundridge).

Dave Mercer gave a good presentation that was very insightful, especially when it came to dropshotting - thanks for the $10 Subway card Dave.

I missed Al Linder's presentation but I had to get home and spend a bit of time with my little fishing partners.

Worth going if you had a shopping list or were looking to get a boat. Also good to meet old friends and possibly make some new ones - but besides that a quick in and out. Hoping it will be bigger and better next year with more time to plan.

Talk about timing...after all that chasing the show organizers for info, I'm stuck at home sick for the next few days. Ugh. Hubby (aka JeffBornFishin) valiantly picked up my pile of "must-see" paperwork, and headed for the show early this morning. I'm getting little reports from him as he wanders around with his cell phone.

Turns out the pdfs I got from the show organizers may not be terribly accurate. I'm really sorry about that, guys.

Jeff was talking to Italo Labignan this morning, and says that Italo said he'd be on from 2:30 to 3:30pm today. The seminar pdfs say 3:30 to 4:30pm. I never did get an answer back from Vita Pollata regarding the scheduling conflict on the Pro Panel & Tips schedule. The pdf shows Paul Powis cleaning fish during the first half hour of a walleye panel.

The exhibitor's list and floor plan also appear to have issues.

I gave Jeff a photoshopped floor plan, hilighting the stuff we're interested in (a disappointing 25 out of 120-odd exhibitors). Of that 25, so far he's been unable to find Mercury, the CSFL booth, and Nitro boats. Whether they're in different locations, or they're really not there, I don't know yet. How accurate the other ~100 exhibitor listings are is a good question.

I arrived a bit into Al Linders talk this morning but caught most of it. Was actually a good talk, instead of talking technique he talked more about the attitude to take going in and things like that. While I didn't learn anything per say from the talk it sure got me cranked up to get on the water. Damn you winter!

Definitely only 1/2 the show it was last year (if even that) but all the same I picked up a nice walleye trolling setup from Nature sports with the no tax savings which was nice (and they're great guys, almost makes me wish I lived in Kitchener). Could think of worse ways to spend a Saturday morning (much better than the 1/2 hour wait at the car wash on the way home)

Was my first fishing show....so I cant compare it to past ones....but I thought it was pretty good. Seemed like some good deals to be had, and I ALMOST was coerced into buying a carrot stick rod (Ill be damned if I can remember what they were really called LOL) Lots of boats.....and the place I bought my boat from was there, which was good as I have been trying to get the ownership paperwork sorted out with them (had not gotten paperwork from TC since buying the boat in June).....so its all sorted...for now anyway. Bought a new BC rod and some power pro from Tightlines (which exists not too far from me, and I drive by it several times a week and did not even know its there!) and a few lures from other places. Enjoyed AL Lindners talk too but did not hang around much longer than that. Didnt meet any OFC'ers there as I wouldnt know anyone if they hit me LOL (have only met one person from the board yet, but Evster could not make it). My wife was even enjoying it, and ended up talking to a few lodges for perhaps a trip up north this summer. Parking was good (and so was the price) and admission price was good too as far as I am concerned.......

In short I was quite pleased with it......but those that went in years past may be a little disappointed by the sound of it.....

Bill

Well now I know why I havent been in a few years went today with the Lund Brothers. the company was great the event sucked and I wont be back till it improves ten fold I wll go to the Sportsmenshow frm now on, all things I like under one roof and Im sure just as much fishing stuff Any way we went to the Salmon seminar and left halfway through we play that game already not going to spend anymore money on it and we always get fish besides I was getting tired of hearing OUT THE CHUTE and IM VERY ANAL Im sure alot of people took alot away from it Im just out to get fish and we pretty much get them whenever we go out. If I have to put that much thought into its not that much fun and the fising is about the fun

so I wasted this morning I will be fishing tommorow have to make up for the wasted morning

I am sure most folks know this but for those who don't, This is NOT "The Spring Fishing Show" we used to have in February!

The Spring Fishing Show has been sold/merged in to "The Sportsman Show"(which will be in March)

This is a brand new show called "Fishing & Boat Show" (First year)

it was a good show IMO, the 3 hour long salmon seminar was great, all 4 speakers were very knowledgeable and I learnt a lot today about different techniques of salmon fishing. when it comes to fishing I don't think you can ever stop learning and "know it all" (and I don't care if you have developed gills from being on the water for so long) :rolleyes:

kudos to the organizers who I think did a great job and I hope this show will grow much bigger in years to come.

Edited by stonefish

I was thinking about popping in today (monday) for the last day. But I was worried it would be a smaller show and not worth it. Thanks for everyone's honest reviews of the show. From reading them, it does sound like a "mickey mouse" kind of fishing show. Maybe it's a good boating show, but I like a good number of vendors selling a lot of good tackle (at low prices). I have decided to hold out until the big sportsman show, which I can't wait to go to! Lumping in the Spring Fishing show into the sportsman show means I only have to go to one show now. Thanks again to everyone who posted.

Thanks for everyone's honest reviews of the show. From reading them, it does sound like a "mickey mouse" kind of fishing show.

Absolutely NOT mickey mouse.

It's small compared to the old Spring Show but there is still plenty of top quality fishing gear to be had from some of the best dealers in the area, and as stated in some of the replies, there are excellent deals to be had on tackle.

Still an excellent way to spend a few hours.