Vernon or Sturgeon Lake?

fisher

I am now debating between two cottages to rent this July - one on Vernon Lake and the other on Sturgeon Lake. Previously was considering another lake.

I know Vernon and Sturgeon Lakes are very different as Vernon has Pike and Lake Trout while Sturgeon has Walleye and Muskie.

I enjoy fishing for all of these species but if you had to choose one of the two lakes to spend a week on in July, which one would you choose and why? :dunno: Or if you are only familiar with one - would you recommend it or would you advise against it.

I guess my question is - if I went to Vernon would I have a decent chance of catching Lake Trout and Pike assuming I have the right equipment (downrigger/variety of lures and fish finder for the Lake Trout)? (I would imagine Pike would be easier and more plentiful)

Same question with Sturgeon Lake - will I have decent chance of catching both Muskie and Walleye? :dunno:

Your comments/thoughts are appreciated. :worthy:

Thanks.

Fisher.

Well, if you decide on Sturgeon Lake, I can help you out with charts, spots, (might even share a GPS spot or two if you ask nice LOL) and depending on when it is in July I might even be able to spend a bit of time showing you a few spots. I don't fish muskie but catch a lot of them when fishing walleye and we have a pretty good bass population here too.

Anyway, let me know!

Cliff

Guest skeeter99

that time of year I would fish sturgeon, easy to get walleye, muskie and bass

vernon you will get a tonne of smallmouth but only a pound and the bigger pike are elusive and you gotta go deep for the trout and only in certain areas and times it seems

I haven't fished either but would recommend sturgeon....

I fish pigeon a lot which is right beside it and do get into some pickerel, the odd musky and lots of bass (SMB and LMB).

Also, I find getting into nice pike can be tough in July when things heat up so haven't had much success that late.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses and Big Cliff, I promise to ask real nice if Sturgeon Lake is where we decide to go. I must say that is real nice of you and a huge incentive to choose Sturgeon Lake - where else could I have a local expert in the area help us out and with the chance of having a guide as well? :thumbsup_anim:

Big Cliff, I'll keep in touch.

And thanks again to all that responded.

Fisher

One other thing to consider,the kawarthas are very busy that time of year,specially on the weekends man ita a zoo,out there....when i fish there we are usually done by 9-10 am as soon as all the clows in their sea-doos,and all the other boats come out...so if you dont mind all that boat traffic,and noise great,vermillion would be quieter for sure, good-luck whatever your decision cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

One other thing to consider,the kawarthas are very busy that time of year,specially on the weekends man ita a zoo,out there....when i fish there we are usually done by 9-10 am as soon as all the clows in their sea-doos,and all the other boats come out...so if you dont mind all that boat traffic,and noise great,vermillion would be quieter for sure, good-luck whatever your decision cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I would say vernon, leave my walleye alone :whistling:

While Sturgeon lake can be quite productive for eyes and ski's it does have a fair amount boat traffic, which can ruin a days enjoyment in a smaller boat.

You won't have many problems connecting with fish as this lake offers every conciveable kind of stucture possible for eye's bass and skis (and every type of technique)

If your have children and you are also bringing them then sturgeon is a great place to hone there fishin skills with panfish everywhere and ready to attack the first offered worm.

and lastly no matter where you stay on sturgeon lake, fuel, food, bait and beer is available within 10-15 minutes, (lindsay, fenelon falls and bobcaygeon)

Hi All,

After several years of having my trailer up in Muskoka and fishing mostly Penn Lake, I moved last year to a campground off Sturgeon on Emily Creek. The dieing carp and out of control weeds on Sturgeon really made me miss the clear waters of Muskoka not to mention the Pike action. Being new to Sturgeon, I didn't have much luck and was very frustrated with the mud and weeds constantly tangling up my prop and plugging up my water intakes. I had to back flush the motor several times last year. I had my boat at a marina at the mouth of the Scugog river.

Based on my experience, I would take Vernon over Sturgeon.

I would like to fish somewhere else this season. Perhaps Balsam, Pigeon, any boat launches, marinas for my 19' Legend, any recommendations?

Edited by perodimi

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Sturgeon Lake, yes, there are some areas where there are weeds and mud. What marina were you keeping your boat at?

Sturgeon Lake has some excellent fishing but like any other body of water it takes time to learn what, where, and when to get results. It's true there was a carp die off this year, first time it has ever happened and it wasn't very nice but some times things like that do happen. In the six years I have lived here this was the first time anything like this has happened.

I hope you won't let one bad experience ruin your impression of the lake and would be happy to show you around this summer if you do decide to give it another try. I won't promise you'll catch your limit but I can help you figure out where there are fish and perhaps we can even explore some new spots, I'm always learning new things and places every time I go out. It's a big lake with lots of good water and plenty of fish!

Hi Big Cliff,

I agree with you as far as learning the lake goes. I had my boat at Snug Harbour off of Country Road 36. There's a small marina at the end of the road with reasonable dockage but brutal on the weeds. I may just end up trailering it this year and exploring different areas.

I'd love to hook up with you though!

Peter

Peter, I live on Snug Harbour Rd. 3.1 km in from 36, 313 Snug Harbour Rd. 705-328-0750. From the sound of it you were at Lunge Haven. yes they are nice people but there is a ton of weeds and mud in that area. If you continue down Snug Harbour Rd about 2 km there is a marina there called the Mourings, good ramp and I am 4 doors West of them You'll still get some weeds but that's where the fish are. Hook up with me this spring and I'll be happy to help you get started on this lake. I think I can help you change your impression.

I'm docked at the moorings marina as well......fish twice a week at least, and always catch fish (well usually).

If you guys need tips/info/spots......or even care to join me, your always welcome!!

I know the lake well.....have been fishing it for years.

Sinker

hi guys...ive fished stergeon and found that big boats run up and down lake going from lock to lock all day long and cause allot of movement on the water..also found it a bit too noisy but vernon fairy and pen ..they have great pike fishing as well as huge small mouth and the odd snapping turtle and i mean big snapping turtles..we always do well in all three lakes...we have also found some walleye in vernon..but very few and lots of work catching them..we fished fox lake which from what i was told runs into vernon...fox is stocked with walleye and we caught about 35 walleye there 5 guys in 3 houres..sizes were 1-3 pounds nothing huge but great eating..hope i helped you in this matter oh yah penn fairy and vernon are quiet lakes not too much action on them especially penn and fairy

I would have to give a thumbs up to Sturgeon. I have fished the lake a few times a year over the past ten years and have to say there is a very good population of smallmouth and largemouth bass, walleyes, ski's and panfish (perch and sunnies), if you are looking to keep the kids busy. I have frequesnted the lake during the busy summer months but I do have to say there are areas you can fish that will get you away from the boat traffic. Most traffic is contained to the middle of the lake with people traveling from Lindsay, Bobcaygeon or Fenelon Falls. I am sure Cliff will be able to give you the heads up on some hot spots, he has been a valuable asset for me over the years giving me some insight on current conditions. Also from Sturgeon you will be able to other lakes by going through the Kawartha's lock system. You also have the freedom to drive to the various towns by boat and take the family for an ice cream or the ladies on a shopping excursion. Good luck on making your decision.

Ecmilley/Cliff - Has there been any word around town on what the intentions are with the Gil Mar Resort property? Looks like our group may be going over to Buckhorn or Pigeon lake if we can't find suttable lodging on Sturgeon.

Tom

Not that I know of for fact but I was told that their son is taking it over and has 'other" plans for it and does not intend to run it as a camp. You could check out Lunge Haven, I've never stayed there but I haven't heard any bad things about it other than there are a lot of weeds. The owners seem nice enough.