trolling w/ dipsey divers behind a kayak

NAC

anyone ever try this behind a kayak or canoe?

what types of problems did you have and how or did you overcome it/them?

I tried last fall with some success but would like it if it would troll deeper

the mini diver went about 20-25ft and the next size 30-40ft, I think.. that was with about 200yds of line out

I caught fish on the deeper troll I think because I was down into the thermocline?? but can't be sure, it was the second time I tried

will try it again this spring and hopefully figure out how to get to 60ft is that possible without downriggers?

any info appreciated

Its kinda tough to do with all the ice on top of the water, but you can try :) :)

With a #1 dipsey you can get to 60ft with 120 ft of line out (with oring right behind you..)

with the Magnum DD you can achieve the same with only 100ft behind you...

This is for traveling 2.5-3 MPH

Hope this helps and GL

There is also a small $2.95 "poor mans downrigger" on ebay. It's a little stainless item that when the fish bites it pulls the pin and drops the weight. I don't like the idea that much of intentionally littering the lake bottom with what ever you use as a weight, but it would be great rig for a paddle power boat.

Edited by irishfield

I use keel sinkers, or, better yet, heavy sinkers mounted onto those rubber jawed downrigger clips. I clip on the weight anywhere from 10-20' from the lure. When you land a fish, you can reel into the weight, unclip it quickly, then fight the fish with nothing between you and it. The water clarity determines how far away I clip the weight.

I can't see why it wouldn't work and think it might even be an advantage. The changes in speed might really work in your favour, I know that lots of times when trolling you get the strikes when you are changing direction/speed. I use to troll behind a canoe when fishing rainbow up in Elliot lake and we always got more than anyone else. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Used dipsey's a few times behind a canoe for rivermouth salmon, only real problem is occasionally you feel like a one armed paper hanger. Hard to boat chinnies in a canoe when you have a 5'+ lead. I don't have a line counter reel either so depth control was of the "guess & by golly" type. Only fished infront of rivermouths where depth max is around 30'+, I'd just let out line until I started bumping bottom then crank it up a few feet. I only tried it after the sun had come up and the fish had gone deep making casting less effective, caught maybe five fish on them last season (opposed to the 50+ casting glo'eys after dark).

Had more success using body baits than spoons (Mann 20+, FasTrac, XPS Minnow). Didn't have any problems tracking in a straight line. Basically works the same as trolling in a small boat, small GPS helps in keeping track of boat speed (vital!)