Ice conditions

Shelley Cooper

Last night while looking outside.. we didn't think we did to bad with the snow fall amount, but this morning, we awoke to this.....

IceconditionsFeb0708001.jpg

I later took a trip to the Park and things did not look good... Ski doo's were even having a hard time.... Talked with a few people just coming in, and they said it was not good out there… They said they didn’t know if they were stepping in a slush hole or an ice hole… the slush is sooooo bad….They were going out to bring their huts in, but didn't feel it was safe////

Here’s what the entrance onto the ice looked like this afternoon….

IceconditionsFeb0708003.jpg

A close up……

IceconditionsFeb0708005.jpg

Don’t go out alone…..

Yesterday on the dirt roads I do, the snow made plowing a pain as the ground underneath was thawed causing the blade to dig in. The snow acted like insulation and it would be as bad if not worse ( as shown in the pictures ) if it was covering an already slushy section of ice. Be Careful!!!!!

My backyard rink turned to slush after that last snowfall as well. I was going to try it out, but didn't want to fall thru the ice. I do have a float suit now...maybe I'll try it. Oh wait...the thickness of the ice was only at 4 inches anyways...pretty sure if I fell thru, the water wouldnt' go higher than my boots...LOL.

Shelley, the loooooong range forecast for 2 weeks from now is calling for some pretty cold temps with highs about -15 even down here, so hopefully you'll get some decent ice then, if not before.

And we all know the wetherman is NEVER wrong.......