Suicks

mattyk

Well i picked up a few suicks from ebay recently for $30. I got 2- 10" weighted models and 1- 9" weighted model. In the past i tried the unweighted model with little success. I wasn't able to fish the lure that well because it just glided on the top and maybe it sank about a foot. My question to the muskie pros is how do i position the medal lip at the back of the lure and how am i supposed to fish it for maximum affect? Thanks.

med_gallery_396_174_58761.jpg

Matt, I use Suicks alot and do quite well with them and their the type of bait that don't really have a wrong way of working them, it's just a matter of trying different techniques till you find what works best for that particular situation.

Being a wooden bait, each one will work a bit differentely than another. I find they work much better after you've used them for a couple hours and they become water logged.

The metal fin at the rear is very flexible and you'll have to keep adjusting it till you find the action your looking for. Again, it's all a matter of trying different things. You can also adjust the eye in the nose of the bait but just do it a bit at a time cause it's just screwed in and you can actually ruin the bait if you work it too much.

You can run them shallow across the top of the weeds, but personally, I like to add extra weights to the belly and get them down deeper into the weeds or bounce them off rocks and you'll find that really triggers the strikes.

In the warm water, I work them very fast with short jerks and pauses, but as the water cools in the fall, slow the bait down accordingly, but increase the length of the pull and let them sit longer between pulls too. That's where the extra weights really shine, when the bait it neutrally buoyant and just hangs in the cold water. The fish will usually hit as soon as you begin your next pull.

Their an excellent bait for muskies and are great for using different techniques for different situations. Try adding extra weight to a couple and you'll probably find they work even better for you.

Good luck :Gonefishing:

Hey Matt.

It's a true trial and error adventure with them. I've found that everyone I own runs a bit different and will require a little bit of playing to get them running the way you want. I usually start with a 1/4 inch bend down on the tail and go from there.

Good Luck with it and maybe some else can offer a bit more info.

Mike

I've been using them a little more the past couple years - although not a confidence bait for me just yet. Couple years ago, my wife and I were fishing the shore just out from Wolseley Lodge. My wife wanted to try one and her fist cast into the shore-line and something of very nice size took a strike at the bait. The lure had just hit the water and she just started her first jerk when there was a big commotion. Unfortunately, we did not see what it was. Tried a couple throw-backs and later that evening, but nothing. I've also heard of others "Dead Sticking". Basically throwing the bait out and giving it a jerk. Then, let it sit a couple minutes or so, and just repeat. I tried it a few times, but no action. I dunno ... not sure I have the patience to throw my lure out there and just let it sit. I could be missing something that could be very productive.

I recall talking to Kevin (from Lakair) this past September and he was having some good luck on the Suicks also pounding the shore lines.

I'd be interested in how you can take an unweighted Suick and add some weight to it. Kinda wish now, after reading this thread, that I had a weighted version.

I've considered buying Suicks on several occasions as I've heard alot of good things about them. I imagine most folks who use them typically are working them from a boat. Are they a good choice for the shorebound musky angler? Do they cast well? They look great but I never imagined they would be particularly easy to cast any kind of distance. I guess I should spring for one and see.

Are they a good choice for the shorebound musky angler? Do they cast well? They look great but I never imagined they would be particularly easy to cast any kind of distance.

Weeds, no reason at all Suicks can't be used from shore, infact muskies are caught in tight all the time and the baits are quite easy to cast, but you need to have the proper rod & reel to do it. A normal bass or pickeral rod would be too light for them.

I've also heard of others "Dead Sticking". Basically throwing the bait out and giving it a jerk. Then, let it sit a couple minutes or so, and just repeat. I tried it a few times, but no action. I dunno ... not sure I have the patience to throw my lure out there and just let it sit. I could be missing something that could be very productive.

It actually works Rich, infact the same way you can dead stick a minnow bait for bass, specially when the water is calm. Toss it out and let it sit for awhile, then begin with some small twitches and if there's a hungry fish nearby he'll come up and smack it.

Infact, I was fishing with Roger (BPS Bassman) a couple years ago and he had his Suick just sitting on top of the water doing nothing while we yakked and a musky came up and nailed it :thumbsup_anim:

Try it over top of the weeds or a rock pile and you may be happy you did ;)

Lew, how much weight do you add to a 9" Suick? I added 1/4 oz. to a couple unweighted ones this winter to get them close to the weighted ones you can buy. I was going to try them out and go from there. Thx, Andy

Depends on what you want the bait to do Andy, but even on the weighted ones I start with 1/4 oz and sometimes go more.

Best thing to use is the stick-on wheel weights they use for balancing chrome wheels on a car. You can just stick them on to find the weight you want and the spot that gives the best balance, then if you want to make them permanent, it very easy.

Once you find the spot you want, use a utility knife to cut a slot big enough to hold the weight and make it about 1/8" deeper than the weight.

Cnv1649-2.jpg

I like to use the 2 part, 5 minute epoxy to line the bottom and sides of hole, then drop in the weight and then totally cover it with the epoxy till it's flush with the bottom of the bait.

Cnv1650-1.jpg

Cnv1651-1.jpg

Let it cure over night, then you can paint it whatever color you want. Don't be too concerned about matching any paint colors too precisely though because muskies just aren't that fussy about what they hit and they don't need anything fancy.

The biggest bait in this picture, about 12" and 3rd from the right with the yellow & black stripes was made by aplumma from this board and is far superior to any of the Suicks I've got.

( I've told you before Art, you should bo into the business :thumbsup_anim: )

Cnv1654-1.jpg

Anyways Andy, that's just a couple ideas for you to experiment with. Suicks are an excellent bait and will put ALOT of muskies in your boat for you....good luck with them.

I didn't notice it mentioned, but one thing thats EXTREMELY important, is to make sure that the tail fin is actually inserted straight. Before I buy any, I always make sure the fin is as level as possible. Makes getting it tuned properly much easier.

Nice looking baits Matt.....

Lew was...and has been 'Right-On" with his info for some time now and again came up large for you and any of us reading on.

I learned Lew's technique for weighting them lures right here on the board sometime back..(from Lew) and Ive had no problems...they run great.

Lew..your right about Art too..(applumma)......I was fortunate enough to pick up 2-3 of his incluiding that big Jailbrid.....He even sent me one to paint my own desired colour finish/pattern,

Art's suicks are an exellent lure to the point that I dont even use the store bought ones anymore.....

Well...the wifey did buy me a few and i do throw them occassionally if'n shes out with me.

Great tips again Lew.......nice refresher 'specially this time of year.

When I added weight I used a 1/4 oz. egg sinker flattened out/made rounder slightly by a vice. I then carefully drilled a whole behind the first treble, the hole sized so the egg sinker would fit snug. I put some 5 min epoxy in the hole, put in the egg sinker and covered it with epoxy and paint. It should work fine. I like Lew's method and may try it as well as I like that the weights lie along the bottom of the bait. Thanks for the photos, Lew. Andy