What could it be?

nautifish

Good evening OFNER'S

May i wish you all a late but sincere happy new yr's. I have not been on the boards much alot going on and may i also add i am now on Day four being smoke free. Am not using any patches or pills or gum Just my will power and lemme tell ya its tough as hell. :wallbash: .....BUT I AM DETERMINED to kick this dirty habit. So i am just keeping my finger's and toes crossed i can do this.

Anyway i have some video footage i wanted to share with you, Was out yesterday sunday afternoon on the edge of town (port dover) when we came across this guy in a field close to my home. Now i am aware that this is probably something some people in certain erea's see on more ocasions. How ever here it is not especially in the middle of the day. I appoligize for the poor visability he was quite a distance from us. Now at 1st we thought it was a coyote, Then a Fox, then a coyote again....lol....For a second he did stop and raised his head in what looked to be a howling motion. Unfortunatley i did not manage to turn the radio down in the van in time enough to pick up the sound.

So i am curious what do you think this is?

A fox? or a coyote?

Maybe they're are some hunter's here that will find it easier to indentify what it is.

th_Movie.jpg

Nautifish.

Ya think Irishfeild?

Blimey i wish it had been more focused. Used to see many red foxes back in the UK had a den not too far from a place i used to live back then.

If it is a fox it is for sure a big one.

Thanx hun. ;)

Hey Nauti,

Been seeing a lot of those as of late from the windows at our place... that is a coyote. The height and length of the animal is too tall and long to be a fox. As well as the fact that a fox would have been mostly sunken into that snow cover...

They are becoming much more prelevent in our neighborhood as of late.

Enjoy and look forward to seeing you on the Ice!

Cheers,

Jen

Hey Nauti,

Been seeing a lot of those as of late from the windows at our place... that is a coyote. The height and length of the animal is too tall and long to be a fox. As well as the fact that a fox would have been mostly sunken into that snow cover...

They are becoming much more prelevent in our neighborhood as of late.

Enjoy and look forward to seeing you on the Ice!

Cheers,

Jen

Thats what i was thinking too jen, I know more about foxes than i do coyotes. I have only ever seen one coyote ever and that was seven yrs ago now...WOW! It was my 1st yr being back home in canada. I KNOW FOXES ARE SMALL Coyotes are not huge but i do beleive they are larger than a fox.

I'd say its a yote as well. Too big to be a fox........if it howled....its a yote. Fox's don't howl. He would make a good shot with the .270 :)

Sinker

Well i am not 100% it actually howled but it certainly did raise its head like it was going to . I thought coyotes actually more yakked than howled?

Coyotes are in between a fox and a wolf. They are probaly the size of a small lab.

I have enjoyed watching the wildlife this year and even got to see a coyote up close and personal during the shot gun hunt in December. One of the men in our group took it in to get mounted. It was an amazing creature to see. Their fur is tan, white with speckles of Black and Grey, he weighed probably 60lbs and had the whitest teeth I have ever seen on any dog like animal.

If you take a look in the fields lately there are a great number of them and wild turkey.

Take care,

Jen

I have to agree with the Coyote.......It looks far to large to be a Red Fox.

My office is in Burlington, there are two coyotes playing around across the street early every morning (before it gets really light)

They are really cool to watch and they keep the cat population down. :clapping::clapping:

Leave your cats inside so they don't kill all the song birds people!!!! :wallbash:

Anyways, very cool video

Foxes get to be pretty large and I've had a rabbid one on my arm, to know it first hand, while reaching back to throw a hay bail at 15 yrs old. Had a second set and type of Rabbies shots in '94 thanks to another huge fox that attacked our 12 week old Lab in the back yard of our old house just up the road. I watch foxes on almost a daily basis in our yard and use to have a mother that would walk in one man door of my hangar and out the other, with food in it's mouth...to save the trip around the structure........and the temptation to use the M1 is there at all times! We have coyotes in the yard too...and they don't walk like that.

Coyotes are in between a fox and a wolf. They are probaly the size of a small lab.

I have enjoyed watching the wildlife this year and even got to see a coyote up close and personal during the shot gun hunt in December. One of the men in our group took it in to get mounted. It was an amazing creature to see. Their fur is tan, white with speckles of Black and Grey, he weighed probably 60lbs and had the whitest teeth I have ever seen on any dog like animal.

If you take a look in the fields lately there are a great number of them and wild turkey.

Take care,

Jen

Well thats why i was so surprised jen. I am allways out and about if not walking different places with the dogs, or fishing, or just walking, just hopping in the van and going for a drive, and have never come across this so close to home. I get excited like a little kid when i get to see things like this....LOL :canadian:

I'm a little confused by this one. Certainly has the gate of a fox but have never seen one that size before. Even here in Burlington, we see plenty of Coyotes.

Never the less congrat's on the non smoking. It does get better. If you need any encouragement send a PM.

John...

I'm a little confused by this one. Certainly has the gate of a fox but have never seen one that size before. Even here in Burlington, we see plenty of Coyotes.

Never the less congrat's on the non smoking. It does get better. If you need any encouragement send a PM.

John...

Thanx John I may just do that when i get a strong urge ....lol

And i'm as confused as you on this it's a tough one . <_<

Edited by nautifish

Burlington has there fair share of wild dogs... due to the proliferation of the rabbit population... I have never seen so many rabbits in one area as I have in Burlington it is unreal!.... I was working on a project there for 2 months.. 112 windows, a whack of doors and interior trim.. and we would literally have to lift our feet when sitting outside for lunch etc...

the dogs will follow the prey.

G

That there is a coyote, or Coy dog IMO

A bit skinny, but then again this winters been tough on them.

The tell tail is the neck, and shoulder line...Longer profile compared to a fox

The bushy tail is also a common feature in Coyotes as well, especially with their winter coat.

Plus the legs are a give away to me as they are much longer then the average fox.

Lots of Coyotes in the area outside the Hammer...even more the further west you go.

The outskirts of K/W and Guelph is loaded with 'em

And there are even more towards the Huron Coast.

I can hear them nightly at my Trailer by Kincardine, and saw quite a few of them last year.