Broken up ice warning

misfish

Just got back from wittnessing the breaking up of the ice from the Barrie Marina and out to the bay.

The fire department I guess was running manuvers. I can appriciate thier efforts,but I feel they have put others at risk by doing so today.

t6016.jpg

You can see the hydro boat to the right.

t6017.jpg

t6018.jpg

t6019.jpg

t6021.jpg

Edited by misfish

Hey Brian, if their doing something that you think is a danger to others, go over to the station they work out of and have a talk with the boys and let them know your concerns.

They'll be more than willing to work with you.

Hey Brian, if their doing something that you think is a danger to others, go over to the station they work out of and have a talk with the boys and let them know your concerns.

They'll be more than willing to work with you.

Lew thats exactly what I,ll be doing. Like I said,I respect thier jobs and what they have to do.

Maybe just bad judgement on thier side.

I kind of doubt they were just out there for a joy ride.

I’m sure if they ever have to come out and rescue your butt off the ice that you would appreciate the fact that they actually get out and do some training from time to time.

Or maybe not….

I kind of doubt they were just out there for a joy ride.

Or maybe not….

what the heck,I got no probs with them training,but why make it unsafe for others.????????????

I never said it was a JOY RIDE. :dunno:

Edited by misfish

Brian, I had to come back to this again.

I'm not familiar with that area, but looking at your pictures it appears that's a boat ramp ??

I'm thinking the Fire Department was perhaps using the ramp for launching a rescue boat to continue their training in the event another fisherman goes thru the ice ?? If that's the case it may be the only spot they can launch the boat and have no other choice.

The Fire Fighters training is normally done in as realistic conditions as possible and if that's gonna be their normal launch location, they need to be familiar with every aspect of it, and breaking thru the ice is definetely something they'll be faced with when the time comes.

Just my thoughts anyways

I can see both side of this

but there is a good chance that the broken ice is now covered with the snow that came down

and that ramp is where many people walk out from

I would hate to see someone fall in and drown because the FD was training how to save someone..

when we make a hole in the ice big enough for someone to fall in we put a xmas tree or a stick/flag

they clearly need to train, maybe a permanent sign stating caution there could be open water from the airboat launching

misfish put a sign up will yeah...LOL

they clearly need to train, maybe a permanent sign stating caution there could be open water from the airboat launching

Terry, that's exactly why I suggested in my 1st post that Brian go and talk to those involved and see if they can come up with something that's suitable to everyone.

I'd be interested in hearing how this works out.

Edited by lew

I was there that day too, it's funny how a few of us saw the same event. I thought the same thing though, they were breaking up the good 1" for ice we had, some people who didn't see it happen will end up crossing this lake and crossing over those spots that were broken up causing the ise to be weaker. I understand the need for training, but it's frustrating when you're going crazy to get on the lake.

Hey Lew no worries bud. The fact of them breaking up the new formed ice and making it a dangous situation is what the main concern is here.

I will be talking to Mr. Dickey (real name) Monday. Just like you said,to tell him my and others concerns .

Well I called today,and was directed to the deputy chief. I got a voice mail and left a message. If I do not hear back I will head down in person and talk to the boys at the hall.

BTW,On my way home,I seen a guy out there. He was far enough away from the broken ice.

:canadian::canadian:

Seems that my talk today went well. I was able to talk to one of the trainers of the Barrie fire department and did agree that postings and maybe even tv coverage on the A channel, would be a good thing, as he did agree it did make for a dangerous situation.

He will be contacting the city to try and get something set up like this for the future. I myself will also be talking to my local city rep,just so he knows there is concerns about this.