Rules of the "road" for an ATV

irishfield

I'm considering plating my 350 Big Bear for the first time since I bought it new in '97. I've read reports here of a few riding double on their's, and one getting a cit for no helmet on a passenger, but found this tidbit interesting in the regs.

Rules of the Road

ORV operators must observe a speed limit lower than posted limits.

Passengers are not allowed

May tow trailers.

Driver's view in all directions must not be obstructed.

It is against the law to drive an off-road vehicle when impaired by alcohol or drugs.

Riders must operate their ORV in the same direction of traffic.

Anybody know if this is regularily enforced? Just thinking the 4 wheeler is a lot handier to unload from the back of the truck to go ice fishing than a sled and easier to manouver....unless the snow's deep...and would be nice if a passenger could bum a ride..since it's also illegal to pull someone behind a "vehicle". Sleds are the only thing I know of that get around the person in a towed trailer being illegal law.

Here's the rest of the new act if you're interested.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/orv.htm#where

Edited by irishfield

yes on the road no Passengers is the law, even the 2 up machines no passenges....but it seems if you are not breaking out laws at the same time, they let it slide....

but my understanding is offroad including ice you can have two people on them.. must have helmets

what I can find is, if I have a trailer behind a atv can I have people on the trailer and do they need helmets

Hi Wayne. I run my ATV on the streets around our town as they are allowed. No passengers allowed-even with a made for 2 people machine. But on the lakes and unmaintained roads 2 can go. 1/2 the posted speed limit on streets. And they are enforced here. Lights must be on. Love mine around town.Easy to park and great fuel economy.

Also use it for pushing cars in from in the town. Towing operators are crazy priced so if I can save my customers a buck or two.....

Edited by Bernie

only some towns have bylaws enforcing this and other smaller ones dont, we drive thru the heart of a small northern town dozens a time a year actually right in front of an OPP station and have never been bothered, we even cross the highway at a few places and run along side some places, most we've ever gotten from the OPP was a wave, onece a couple riding in our group ran up the highway about 400yds to where we were to cross only to come face to face with a cruiser, he put his lights on and kept going as a warning i suppose, once my brother (alone)got checked for his papers while waiting at a railway crossing and an officer pulled up behind him, after he was done checking the papers and was walking away he pointed to the back seat and said "only one person on these machines eh" but we've met them countless times 2 on an atv with no hassle,

guess they're just nice

i spoke to a female officer once and she said if were not breaking other laws and there are no complaints we wouldn't have any problems,

now try any of this around here at home and u will get a fine no ifs ands or buts

Thanks guys. They've always just been yard work/play machines...but now that I've had my arm twisted to ice fishing thought it was time to pull out the sales bill and go get plates.

Was quoted ...

This is an estimated premium with Royal & SunAlliance Assuming the ATV is registered in your name. Used for Pleasure use, no

racing, no drivers under 16 years of age. Has not been modified, or have attached equipment. For PLPD liability 2 million limit, accident benefit (basic) Uninsured motorist, family protection (opcf 44) Direct compensation 0 deductible.

With the 25% multi-vehicle applied. The annual premium is $313.00 plus a 8% Provincial Sales Tax applies.

If wish to add Comprehensive at $300 deductible, $97.00 a year, plus tax.

Does this sound close to anyone's premiums? I know Terry only pays $80 for liability

Hey Landlocked...what say you?

Thanks guys. They've always just been yard work/play machines...but now that I've had my arm twisted to ice fishing thought it was time to pull out the sales bill and go get plates.

Was quoted ...

Does this sound close to anyone's premiums? I know Terry only pays $80 for liability

Hey Landlocked...what say you?

$80 insurance on the quad ?? mine is $405 a year !! ive never heard of anyones being that low

Yep..I could never get a handle on the fact that unsteerable sleds where okay in town all winter long on the pavement and vehicles with tires/brakes/etc where not.

Snow machines don't tear up the landscape like wheeled machines do when there is no snow. There is always some dumbass who decides he's gonna do some donuts thru the town parkland......not much of an issue when its snow covered.

Newer sleds are very steerable by the way......try one...I think you'd like it! They handle just as good as an ATV........prolly stop quicker too....

Sinker

I know the new ones are more manouverable sinker...just always wondered why sleds where allowed and ATV's weren't. Guess sleds were "grandfather" claused. As for sleds doing less damage...I know ATV's can make a mess in th dirt/grass...but driving on pavement ain't hurting the pavement like studded sled tracks do. Every sled trail crossing on the highway is both frost heaved and damaged around here. The town of Midland has also banned sleds in part of town as they have destroyed the sidewalk/walking path.

$180.00 a year for me. Full coverage. On with a good many other vehicles.

Thanks Bernie...that's what bothers me with mine having a 25% mulit-vehicle discount applied !! :wallbash: For what I fork over a year to the same broker I should get a few free perks !

I sat on the board of directors of two ATV Clubs and have had many meetings with the OPP and town councel.

The way the law is written regarding using the roads is: Unless a municipality has passed a by-law ALLOWING the use of ATV's on the sholder of their roads or on the road where no sholder exists then you are not leaglly allowed to operate your ATV in those areas. There are restrictions as to where they can allow the use of ATVs on the roads too based on the number of cars using that section of highway but I'm not going to try to type out the whole thing, it would be spring before I finished.

Helmets MUST be worn while operating an ATV on anything other than private property, ask Beans and I, we made the mistake and paid the fines.

If you have been in situations where you were operating and shouldn't have been and the cops let you get away with it, it's because they are people too, not every law makes sense and as long as you are reasonable they usually are too but just because you get away with it once, don't assume it's ok. The next cop you see might have just had a bad experience with someone on an ATV. You could have a big bullseye on you.

The best thing you can do is drive sensibly, be respectful of others and other peoples property, and wear a helmit.

As for sleds not causing damage, just go and look at the roads where sleds regularly cross, those carbide runners sure make a mess of the ashphalt. That being said, if it wasn't for the sleds, we wouldn't have the network of trails that we have today; give a little take a little!

Well just a question guys???...how come the hut operators tow people out to their shacks with a sled behind the quad,and sometimes 4 or more customers in the sled and they do not have helmuts on,so think how many operators are breaking the law,and the opp & mnr is out there all the time and i have yet seen anyone charged out on the ice i wonder why,maybe they are not enforcing it on the lake???? anyone know,wayne or terry?????

yeah, I asked or stated just about the same thing up a few posts

and I can not find anywhere in the law where it states that if I have people on my trailer being towed by my atv, that they need helmets or if I can have them in my trailer going down the road...seems to be a gray area

The other side of the coin is it's illegal to tow anyone behind your vehicle in a trailer. Does this not apply to an ATV? OR is it alright on a lake...on a rope and you say they are water skiing behind you?

Thanks Andy for the insurance estimate. What's with the huge range?