fin vs swede bore

kickingfrog

I've never had to buy a hand auger before, and the ones I've used I've only really been concerned with edge on the cutting blades. I'm considering a 6 in to use when the 8 in one is really not necessary. I've never really thought much about the fin-bore / swede-bore stuff before (figured it was some marketing Bull)

What is the difference between the two (if any)? And what are the pros/cons of both?

No, I won't get a gas auger.

I also don't like the looks of the handle to auger connection of most of the models. My current auger has been welded for about 20 years now because of a friend who had too much muscle and not enough technique.

Thanks for the help.

Well my choice is the fin bor. It has to be the best auger for it,s money, hands down. It melts the ice as you cut and is made from the most impressive steel made to date.

I still have/well my pop does,when they came out and still cuts like it was new out of the box.

The most important thing is to just turn the auger,NOT PUSH AND TURN. It will cut with just turning.

I should add,my pop has the original 6" he bought me 10 years ago and an 8" he bought himself,and I have an 8" I bought 2 years ago.

Edited by misfish

Whatever model you choose just make sure it has curved blades, rather then straight ones. The "curve" is the secret and makes all the difference in the world. I have had both models you are asking about in 6 and 8 inch sizes. My current most used/favourite auger is a strikemaster lazer. I chose it because it has the curved blades and because it has a 5inch model. It is a big enough hole for perch,crappie and small walleye fishing...which is what I do. The 5 inch hole is just that much easier to cut then a 6 inch hole. Something to consider before you purchase. Good luck with your new toy!!!

Just remember -never bang the blades of any auger on the ice. Got my butt kicked as a kid for doing that. It doesn't take much to bend them out of place and they wont cut worth a doggone after. (Funny how you remember things when you get yer butt kicked :asshat: ) Think I mentioned this last year when the same subject was up.

I've got 2... both are fin bores... 4.5" and the 8"

the 4.5" is deadly... rips through ice sooo quick, you start measuring it to see how thick ice you are standing on...

difference between the swede and the fin is... fin bore has curved blades and an offset handle, swede bore has straight blades and an inline handle... don't know if there are differences in the blade quality or is it just blade geometry...