Cordless Hand Drill Augers ??

LeXXington

All the videos I have seen on youtube and such like video hosting sites, people are using them with 6 inch or smaller augers, on clear ice(no snow or slush), and the ice is only 6 inches deep at best.

Couldn't even dream about using them up here, where we get 30 inches of ice regularly.

We have 12 inches on most lakes up here right now, with a cold snap coming in. We will probably have close to 24 inches by the new year.

Cannot beat a gas auger, whatever size auger drill you use, and the manuals will never fail if you keep the blades sharp.

Yesterday, we drilled over 30 holes with my 8 inch Jiffy, in 2 different places, through 12-13 inches of ice, and probably only used 1/4 of the tank of gas the auger comes supplied with.

I have used this auger drilling multiple holes on 3 different trips in the past without filling up the tank, depending on ice thickness.

My bud made a box for my auger head, in which I installed a spark plug holder, spark plug wrench, combination wrench for the gas cap(those things can get on there pretty tight at times), and used a bicycle drink holder to hold a small amount of extra gas( in a brake fluid bottle, it just fit perfectly) for, just in case. Actually, that bottle is almost equal to the gas tank of

the auger head.

My advise, ditch the idea of using the battery powered drill. Buy a good hand auger, or spend extra for the gas one.

If you are in an area where you only get 6-8 inches of ice for the year, without deep temperatures, then the battery powered drill will probably be fine. But drilling through 6-8 inches of ice with a hand auger with properly sharpened blades doesn't take much time either. And, it gives you a bit of a cardiovascular workout also.

After putting the last fishhut together out on the ice, I can't see a cordless drill battery lasting a day on the ice. I was using a 18 volt dewault drill and after a couple of hours on the ice, the batteries were toast. Save your money - buy a gas auger.

Don

Guest gbfisher

A fin bore hand auger cost is around 60 bucks. Drills very fast if it is 6" or smaller. Like butter actually.Right through 2 or 3 feet of ice....:thumbsup_anim:

You'd kill a cordless with out to much effort. Way to big of a bit/auger for a chordless drill.

Anything else with thick ice and large holes.(10inch)Go with a power auger.

A fin bore hand auger cost is around 60 bucks. Drills very fast if it is 6" or smaller. Like butter actually.Right through 2 or 3 feet of ice....:thumbsup_anim:

You'd kill a cordless with out to much effort. Way to big of a bit/auger for a chordless drill.

Anything else with thick ice and large holes.(10inch)Go with a power auger.

What Andy said.

In case you're watching Santa .. hint hint .... I am looking to upgrade to a 10" power Auger ... dont get me wrong I love my fin bore and it works like a charm ... but after 4 or 5 holes in 2' or more of ice .. I am tuggin hard on the the ol' flask .... if you know what I mean :)

As for batteries... I only lug them out for the sonar and the camera ... and they stay right near my heart to keep warm enough to be of any use ... I cant see the power drill being any use at all after a few hours in the (real) cold

I work in a trade where I am in a frozen basement installing furnaces and ductwork, I use an 18v ryobi and go through at least 2 or three, where during the summer, one would last a few days. I would stick with what has been a tried, tested and true way of drilling holes.

Guest gbfisher
Anybody ever try a chainsaw?

Oh ya....cool trick. Just don't cut all the way through the first pass....LOL

IMG_0020-1.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Edited by gbfisher

I met a guy on Simcoe two years ago using one on a new Hitachi cordless with two batteries. It was a five or 6 inch quality auger and we were cutting 30 inches of ice right beside him. I have had the Swede bore from CTC and since upgraded to a better model it cuts in half the time. He said he carried two batteries in the inside pocket of his parka to keep them worm and he could punch 30 or 40 holes. IMHO you need to buy a good auger, a top quality cordless and the batteries need to be in good condition. Instead of all the hassle buy a top quality auger for around $120 and you will be amazed at how little effort is needed to blow through the ice.

Try in the buy and sell for a gas drill. Hydro guys use them as well as a lot of special trades. They are usually less then a gas auger and are much smaller. They have a smaller head than those weed trimmers and they fit nicely in a small case to go in your hut.

Thanks for all the inputs guys,

I bought a FinBoreIII 6" on recomendations from the guys here.

I think, I will keep to the old hand power on this. Like Wayne said old Bob made it look easy on the LOTW but since they had the Snow Bear the must have kepts the batteries warm and charging.

Good think I checked around to make sure,

thanks guys

Guest gbfisher
Is it just me? Or does this look like a terrible safety hazzard??? How would you keep somebody from falling thru this hole after you leave for the day?

Nothing like having a big hole.. :thumbsup_anim: ..Makes using a net that much easier. Nice to see the Perch as well. Pull it away from the small ones... :lol:

Theres a hut on that hole right now.

Yes it can be a hazard and yes Trucks can fall through them. I have a buddy who had that happen last year. Only the back end fell in though. Pulled it out and was on his way in only a short time.

THEN of course the hole was marked. :D

Most icefisherman know to keep a keen eye out for cracks and holes and things that can kill you when out on the ice.

Supposedly the new lithium ion batteries are much better in cold weather.... to -4 F. Also they weigh a lot less. As in an 18 volt weighes about the same as a 14 volt. They are wickedly expensive though for a quality drill and a couple of batteries.

Anyone use a quality lithium ion drill in the cold who can comment?

Guest gbfisher

It isn't the battery that is the issue. Its the torque and size of the auger for the drill. It will destroy the Drill is all. Even the Gas power drills used to drill the electric poles will not last drilling ice all day long. They are just not designed for it.

:Gonefishing:

Clamp-it, that auger would get us a decent depth in the ice to put up some poles,or trees(with the bows sheared off) for a tarp to block the wind. But, thats about it.

That drill is almost useless up here except for very, very early season, if you are brave enough to venture out on the ice up here at that time.

Listen to the pot call the kettle black!!! :asshat::blahblah1:

:w00t:

So..............you own an auger, and you know better?

Fess up der alabama boy.

Actually, I looked at purchasing that auger, then I noticed how much ice it would drill through, and............................that thought was immediately dropped. We just get too much ice for it to be viable up here, even in our warmest temps for the year, which happens to be last year according to Environment Canada.

Still, the 2nd week in February, when our lake trout season opened last year, and we went fishing, I did not take my auger extension out with us, and we barely got through the ice without it. Thats 36" of auger bit before the power head, and we barely made it through on a couple of the lake trout lakes up here, despite our milder than normal temps.

That auger will just not, pardon the pun "cut it" up here, except for very early season ice, which is long past now. Maybe 3 weeks ago it could be used, but not now.

Actually I own 2 augers Tom, one resides in Cold Lake Alberta... and the other in Janetvill Ontario. Seems like I have to buy one every time I go ice fishin'.

I don't think anybody was talkin' about trekking up to your nek of the woods to use the Micro, we have seen how the frost has bitten your brain... and we don't want to end up like that! :rolleyes: