Report on Algonquin in August 2007

Ramble

Well I think it’s time for another report. Exams are over, 90% of my Christmas shopping is done and I finally uploaded the pictures. So here we go.

:Gonefishing:

Dad and I headed up to the Booth Lake area of Algonquin for our usual summer fishing trip. We were targeting smallmouth bass for the most part, but also spent time chasing the resident lake trout and northern pike. When chasing summer lake trout in a canoe I HIGHLY recommend a depth finder. It allows you to find good habitat and focus on it instead of just aimlessly dragging a spoon through the water.

We only focused on trout for about 8 hours total the whole week. Targeting shoals that topped out around 35 feet of water. We also marked fish down 40 feet in 90 feet of water, several times, in different locations. We spent time working the schools with all kinds of different presentations without luck. Most days were clear and bright, and fairly calm except for Wednesday and the day we canoed out which had some nasty wind. There were also a few light showers mid week sometime, but not enough to slow us down much. I think we went up the river a bit that day.

As far as the trout fining was concerned…We were happy with our lure presentations and the depth we were reaching. The canoe allows us to make a very slow troll to get the weight and hook down before beginning the actual run. Many times we “made contact” with bottom around 35 feet when trolling the shoals, and once we both got hung up in 57 feet of water. All of the trolling with proven lures of different types, colours and styles proved fruitless. We even tried casting out spoons with no weight and just letting them flutter down to the bottom accompanied by the odd twitch without any luck. All of the usual methods had failed. So I rummaged through the bowels of the tackle box and I came across a couple of “cicadas” that should have been in the ice fishing stuff.

So I tied it on and began to jig around the 30 foot mark in 35 feet of water as we drifted across the shoal. On the 3rd pass I hooked up with a nice laker. She was barley coming into sight when she shook the hook. I was surprised to say the least. When I got the lure to the boat it was terribly fouled…(a problem I often have with those lures). I had one other hit on that lure during the drop which I missed and a few passes later I lost the lure to a northern. Oh well…

Trolling

IMGP0368.jpg

We didn’t specifically target pike much but we did toss a few spoons, spinner baits and husky jerks to try and tantalize the pike as we cruised the various lakes over the week. Dad hooked with a very nice 34 incherin Booth that was less then cooperative. She was supper that night and breakfast the next day. Dad caught another northern on the way out that was 29 inches. She came home with us as well. Both fish wree taken from clumpy weed beds in about 6-8 feet of water with access to deep water no more then 40 yards away.

34”

IMGP0234.jpg

The bass fishing is why we go and it satisfied yet again. The worst part of the trip was the fact that my battery died for my camera 3 days into the trip I didn’t have my spare. On the last 2 days dad and I both boated a couple of monster smallies. One of which was my personal best. I caught her on Farm lake, and as far as I know she is still their.

We use almost exclusively use top water lures smallmouth fishing. Having the fish jumping and splashing is part of the attraction…as any bass fisherman can attest too. Poppers, torpedoes and black jitter bugs are our go-to lures. Trolling a big black jitter bug can be deadly almost anytime of day we found. The average bass was around the 2 lb mark and scrappy as ever but we did encounter fish that were defiantly larger. Weed lines, points, and drop offs all held fish. The bigger fish defiantly prefer access to deepwater. Any little cubbies in a rock face or log also got attention and were found to hold fish from time to time. One of the rock faces we were fishing yielded a once in a life time moment.

IMGP0364.jpg

Dad and I were chatting and casting as we slowly cruised the shore line. At one particular spot a large fissure in the rock face ran down into the water. We both cast to the same exact spot and I don’t think our lures were more then 6 inches apart. We were having a laugh over the cast when a there was a commotion over by our lures. They had been sitting for about 5 seconds. At 1st I though one of us had a fish and it became tangled in each others line, when in fact, we both had a fish of almost the same size! (I‘m pretty sure mine was bigger ;) ) Both were about a pound at hit at exactly the same time.

IMGP0366.jpg

The bass fishing was excellent all week.

IMGP0231.jpg

IMGP0232.jpg

IMGP0233.jpg

IMGP0284.jpg

IMGP0378.jpg

IMGP0365.jpg

IMGP0356.jpg

IMGP0355.jpg

IMGP0348.jpg

IMGP0345.jpg

IMGP0340.jpg

IMGP0339.jpg

IMGP0338.jpg

IMGP0336.jpg

IMGP0337.jpg

IMGP0381.jpg

One of the mornings we went out for an early fish, and came back for breakfast. While I was sitting in a chair a moose came out of the bush and spent over an hour putting a serious hurt on the local water lily population. He was still their when we left again.

IMGP0228.jpg

A visitor.

IMGP0299.jpg

IMGP0289-1.jpg

IMGP0316.jpg

We also spent some time on the Opeongo river walking about the shallows and doing a few of the portages. I had a chance to get some excellent photo’s of a few aquatic insects.

Caddis

IMGP0259.jpg

IMGP0245.jpg

IMGP0241.jpg

On the way we stopped at an inviting shoreline so I could get some pictures of a sundew (carnivorous plant) and in the mud I found some bear tracks that were fresh and clear.

Sundew

IMGP0269-1.jpg

Bear

IMGP0267-1.jpg

Mud up to my knees.

IMGP0271-1.jpg

On a walk in the woods behind our site I found an old, shed moose antler, some old antler scrapes, as well a little stream that flowed down to a beaver pond. I was also stung in the neck by a yellow jacket wasp…that was less exciting. Luckily there was some jewelweed along the creek which I rubbed on the sting, and that took most the hurt out of it soon enough.

Antler

IMGP0275.jpg

At the end of the week we had seen several loons, the resident eagle(s), ravens, partridge (ruffed and spruce) several moose (2 of which were swimming), healthy fish and gorgeous scenery. It’s a great trip for the mind, body and soul.

Moose-(Right), Loon-(middle), Eagle (top left)

IMGP0373.jpg

I can’t wait for next year! :thumbsup_anim:

-Ramble

-Here are a few more shots from the week.

IMGP0382.jpg

IMGP0286.jpg

Indian Pipe

IMGP0237.jpg

IMGP0363.jpg

Thanks for that great story, Ramble, reading those kind of reports early in the morning is always a great way to start the day.

Luv the shot of the moose, loon & eagle all in the same picture together, you could wait a lifetime before you saw that again !!

Now thats a great report that has it all !!!!...great fishing,as well as scenec,and wildlife pics too !!! :whistling::w00t: well done,i felt like i was right there with you...thanks for sharing,i miss that park everytime i see pics like that !!!!!! you should be a giude , B):P with knowing where all those things were....cheers & thanks for sharing :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Man I was litteraly just Complaining to a freind about how badly I want Spring to arrive so I can get out on my annual Algonquin trip with My Dad and brothers.

Your Post totaly intensified my need to get outdoors LOL!

That was truely a great report I might add...

Very indepth and the Photogarphy was awesome to boot.

Its funny eh?

Most people seek out the trout in the park, but man there are plentifull numbers of BIG smallies in some of those lakes, and you are correect they fight like heck....

I Tangled with an OOS 22" football once while working the lake in May for Specks.

Man I thought I had a new record on my line with the way that thing tugged...then it jumped and I saw what I had on.

I have been wanting to go back in the Summer months to target those buggers , but I can't seem to convince my (soff & Wussy) brothers that the Bugs are not that bad....

If I ever convince them or find someone to join me for a summer jaunt I'll be sure to bring that exsact Skitter Pop...I litteraly have 4 in my Tackle inventory LOL!!!

Its a killer lure for Summer Smallies and a Blast to work at dusk...they slam that thing!

Thanks for sharing,

Im glad you guys enjoyed the post. i enjoy writting about my fishing trips, and i love the park.

Cookslav there is a few old ranger cabins around the park that have bunks, a woodstove and a table in them that would afford a little more comfort to your "soft and wussy" brothers. Make sure you bring an air mattress to sleep on. In august the bugs arnt bad at all. if its a real concern, a mosquito coil left smoking while you go out for an evening fish will put a hurt on any would be blood suckers. You should work on getting them to go again.

Tight lines fellas.

-Ramble

Thats the funny part Ramble...

My bro's luv going in deep in the Spring, when its cold, and have no issue with sleeping on the ground...its just the bugs they don't like.

I don't mind them to be honest.

Sure they eat ya alive but after the first day its done, and you kinda adjust?....atleast I do :dunno:

Those were some awesome photos! Now that is an adventure we all should be blessed to have. Btw, thanks for answering a question I had, the Caddis. I was snorkling in the Kennissis River and saw one of those things, best camo on any creature if u ask me.

Edited by Hooked