Great to see a Canadian company forging ahead

irishfield

Wanted a few (4) "back up" reels to put on the ($14!) TDR trolling rods that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Very nice to see that Lebaron's is $10 a reel cheaper for Penn 209's than Cabelas or Bass Pro. And considering they are only $50 reels... that's ~20% cheaper! As matter of fact went with the line counter models that just came out (not available BPS or Cabelas) for a dollar less than the plain 209's from Cabelas, without having to bring them across the border..or pay PST (since Lb's ships out of Quebec). That's another $20+ saved right there.

Their in store service may lack at times... but they've been there thru and thru for a few decades now. Bought my first ABU MAG II baitcaster there in about 1983 (and it's still going strong I may add). Good to see they intend to stay competitive in the market place. Just wish they'd modernize their on-line ordering system. Looking thru single page PDF's..writting the info down and then filling out their shopping cart list is kinda prehistoric! LOL

Now shopping for fishing gear in December may get me in hot water with SWMBO...but what can a guy do when he gets a notion he needs something?

Edited by irishfield

Yes wayne i have been going to lebarons for several years now,and some things are almost too good to be true,i have really had great deals there ,and have always had no problems in getting what i need,i wish there was more of them as i drive from oshawa to get there...and i like their no tax days which the have all the time,so its a good fishing/camping outdoor store,and like you said 100% canadian....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Yes, I agree Wayne. We have always found LeBaron cheaper in price, but customer service lacking.

Can't have em all eh :dunno:

Most times, even tho they are smaller than BPS, they tend to have what you want in stock too.

Joey

I called there a few weeks ago to get the 209M left hand line counter and they said they didn't have them yet.

I will get one on my next order. I am thinking about using it for trolling for muskie.

Is that the exact one (209M left hand line counter) you ordered Wayne?

Good to know.... funny that LB's is the only one even showing them available. BPS and Cabelas don't show the line counter on their websites. Hopefully LB's has stock as I ordered on line to save a trip and 8% PST. I have 4 x 8-6" TDR's that needed something on them and the 209's work well for downriggin Lakers.

I will let you know when i find one. I aint in that big of a hurry though. If i have it before May i will be happy.

I might add or remove some line from the spool if i don't like the ratio. I don't know why they would make it different from the 209M. I am just getting one reel till i see if i like it.

I've spoken in favour of LeBarons superior pricing in several of my posts previously, I think they are in some cases at least, considerably cheaper than the Bass Pro Shop. Musky lures definetly seem to be cheaper(I think a Slopmaster Spinnerbait is like 13 bucks at LeBarons and 19 at Bass Pro, same kind of difference for big MG spinnerbaits) I went todayto pick up a 201 DHSV Curado today and was surprised to find they sold it for $269, about 40 bucks more than LeBarons, fortunately when I mentioned this the Sales guy said he could match the price and dropped it to about $224. So that was pretty cool. Generally speaking Bass Pro has a greater selection but you pay a little more.

I was recently in the market for a spotting scope. I settled on a Bushnell model and my parents went all over Myrtle Beach looking for the best price, including at BPS. In the end, nobody came close to Lebarons (after 10% plus 7% discounts), so I bought it local.

It doesn't always pay to shop in the states.

i thought that purchases shipped to ontario were charged pst?

if i buy something from another province, i dont pay pst?

sweet

Nope...it's dumb.. but it's fact. We have no border "customs" between provinces and if it's shipped out of province the vendor does not have to charge provincial taxes..unless it's an HST province... and why they are pushing to get that HST across the board. Shop in Quebec or Alberta. We/vendors in Ontario can ship to any province without charging PST.

More satisfied Le Baron customers! I wonder who owns it. I would certainly congratulate them on a job well done for saving us working folk a couple of bucks over the years. I admit their selection is not like BPS, and if you're into specialty things like fly fishing you'll probably be out of luck, but for the majority of Ontario anglers it can't be beat! I appreciate everyone updating me on new deals as they come up, and I'll try and do the same.

Wow that is a rare situation indeed...I haven't seen a better deal in ON compared to U.S. in a long time. Let's all hope they bring their ordering system to the Net so that they can truly compete for our business with the like of Cabela's...

Tony

I've been a loyal (??) customer of Lebaron's for about 6 years, and I've had my problems with them . . . . THEY actually THINK they know how to run the store better than I do . . . cheeky buggers, eh? But . . . I've rarely ever found better prices on medium to high end equipment anyplace else. Any time I've had a complaint, as long as I had my receipt and was within the time limitations set out . . . . no problem. But . . . . I HAVE had to occasionally (legitimately) take something back . .. a few DAYS after their 15 day 'return' policy expired . . . no dice!! But . . . . they DO have that right . . . . I just make sure I adhere to THEIR rules . . . . and lately they've even bent a few of them for me. Their customer service is ALMOST as good as Fishing World in Hamilton now!!

Well this great pricing is worthless when you get an email back from them that states..

"Sorry, your order is cancelled. The items that you ordered are back order till February 08. Please re-order at that time.

Thank you."

Simply amazing that Penn doesn't have inventory nor does Cannon for the retrievers and emergency crank handle I ordered.

Christ... you'd think mine or Deg's wife was working their order desk ! :D

Nope...it's dumb.. but it's fact. We have no border "customs" between provinces and if it's shipped out of province the vendor does not have to charge provincial taxes..unless it's an HST province... and why they are pushing to get that HST across the board. Shop in Quebec or Alberta. We/vendors in Ontario can ship to any province without charging PST.

Actually, if you have a business presence in Ontario (three stores would qualify as a presence) then you are required to charge PST on online orders shipped into Ontario from other provinces. This rule applies to most provinces.

I am not sure if LeBaron's has discovered a loophole or just hasn't been caught. Regardless, if you are not charged PST then you would be required to self assess and remit them yourself... I am sure that you will do the right thing :whistling: