Total White Out on the 417

Tarzan's Jane

This was my first experience as 'the driver' getting home at this hour in a "white out". I do not wish this on anyone. I don't care much for beer but I am putting one back as I type. I am thankful though that my girlfriend was with me and was great at coaxing me on. My hands are sore from gripping the wheel, lower back is killing me, I have a headache and I am just amazed that I got through that. What normally takes 30 minutes, took 2 hours.

Winter is definitely upon us.

Be safe.

Glad you made it home safely nancy, i know only too well how that is. But for future reference, try not to grip the wheel too tightly, not good for the hands, and not good for being able to steer quickly....your hands will be stiff.

Maureen

Winter driving can be an experience! Went to work one morning in 76-77(great winters here) after a 4 hour drive (usually 45 minutes) I got to work, everyone had gone home. On the bright side I had found the passable roads and it only took 3 1/2 hour to get home!

Can`t imagine the 401 or other highways around Toronto in bad weather, a lot more traffic there. No snow on the ground here! LOL the tropics?

30 something years of driving trucks and only one night away from home, caught in a snowstorm and they shut the roads down. Had to sleep in the truck parked in a little truck stop, punk kid dispatcher whining what do you mean you can`t make it in? Dude things are a lot different 75 miles away!

Always take care in bad weather!

Twilight I agree with you about last night, I was on the 417 also heading to Carlsbad Springs and it was awful , I couldn't see 10 feet in front of the car.

Like somebody else mentioned try not to tighten up too much, just remember no sudden braking , steering or speeding up, go as fast or as slow as you are comfortable with and don't worry about other drivers around you.

Are you new to this area, if so make sure you have snow tires on for the winters here, all season tires just don't cut it!!!!!

Take your time and every thing should be okay.

By the way the 417 is like that almost with every storm that passes thru. Pretty bad between Anderson and Boundary.

What do you drive????

Twilight I agree with you about last night, I was on the 417 also heading to Carlsbad Springs and it was awful , I couldn't see 10 feet in front of the car.

Like somebody else mentioned try not to tighten up too much, just remember no sudden braking , steering or speeding up, go as fast or as slow as you are comfortable with and don't worry about other drivers around you.

Are you new to this area, if so make sure you have snow tires on for the winters here, all season tires just don't cut it!!!!!

By the way the 417 is like that almost with every storm that passes thru. Pretty bad between Anderson and Boundary.

What do you drive????

I drive a 1998 Cavalier...she's been good to me :) Honestly I have been driving from Russell into Ottawa for the past 13 years but I have never encountered what I did last night. I guess it was just unlucky timing. Oddly enough, part way through Boundary Road it cleared up. Carlsbad Springs eh....we are neighbours. Anyway...I spoke to my mechanic and he assurred me that the two front tires he replaced would get me through the winter. I believe they are all seasons (agressive all seasons...is there such a thing) ...oh well if something happens...I'll be calling him. lol

I know about the iron grip though...that would definitely take some concentration in order to relax when you think you might die. hahaha

It's snowing again right now but I left the office early so that I wouldn't have to drive in the dark in that again. Drive safely Wallyboss

You should of been on the water today.Now that was brutal.LOL

I agree with the comment about snows vrs All season.There is no comparison.Snows all the way.

If it is front wheel drive,do not think just beacuse you have two new on the front you are safe.Buy 4 new all around.

Safe driving all.

You should of been on the water today.Now that was brutal.LOL

I agree with the comment about snows vrs All season.There is no comparison.Snows all the way.

If it is front wheel drive,do not think just beacuse you have two new on the front you are safe.Buy 4 new all around.

Safe driving all.

The car is not worth the purchase of 4 new winter tires....I am chuckling to myself as I am realizing that the car may not be worth it...but I sure am. Merry Christmas to Me.

Hope your not suffering from brain freeze....lol

If ya t'ink the drivin's tough . . . . . ya should try draggin' 2 - 15+ pound mail satchels up & down stairs & driveways, of which at least 50% of haven't been cleared of frozen slop, or salted yet, for 4 hours! My favourites are the goofballs that paint their concrete stairs! At least it's warm, and moderately safe in your vehicle!

What do you drive????

"Carlsbad Springs" is it just me or does that bring thoughts of palm trees and warm temperatures?

This is the Northern Version. Only springs here are the bubbling mud version. Used to be that high society from Europe would come over to bathe in this lovely mud. But not anymore, still some remnants left but not much.

10 minutes East of Ottawa.

Edited by wallyboss