BAD FISHING ACCIDENT!

bassfighter

I always tell other anglers around me to learn to cast properly, meaning our rod tip should not go behind us during casting. Irregardless if we are doing overhead casting or side casting, the maximum distance the rod tip should be is straight towards the sky right above us during overhead casting, or the rod tip in front at the side of our body during side casting. I corrected the habits 10 years ago after breaking my 12' rod twice.

If we are to fish for 40-60 years , should we learn to cast properly? What are the odds of us causing similar accident if we do not cast properly, especially casting on a limited space boat?

I caught a salmon tonight http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/b.../lastsalmon.jpg. left the fish and went to my car to pick up a garbage bag, 4-5 Bystander came to see what was caught. When I got back, I heard someone's eye just got snagged with a crank bait, ambulance came and Police were involved. There were 3-4 adults hovering behind us to observe our fishing, another angler using a jerk bait, not knowingly bent his rod, accidentally snagged and caught someone's eye or close to his' eye. I was not sure exactly where the crank bait hook the person, but afraid to ask because of the commotion that happens afterwards. But I was told that it hit the eye.

It is my prayer that nothing severe will happen to both parties who were involved. There might be lawsuit going on afterwards.

Who is at fault? The angler or the bystander?

Edited by bassfighter

I landed the fish within ten minutes after I got there, excited to get a small salmon for the table.

Right after the accident, I was not able to fish too long, can't focus and felt sad, fishing does not seem to be too important anymore.

This is the reason I would like to inform all of us to learn to cast properly or similar accident could happen to one of our love ones in our boat. It takes practice to break one's habit, but it will pay off in the long run.

I have already trained my 12 year old boy to cast properly. I refuse to allow him to cast improperly when we are on our boat, and we practice a lot on the football field together.

oh geez. i hope the person is okay! keep us posted if you hear anything.

In my opinion it's more the angler's fault because he knows he has a hook on the line and he has to be careful if people are around.. but of course it's an honest mistake so I wouldn't put blame on him.. just that it could have been avoided.. I'm hoping it didn't catch anything that can't be fixed!!

I feel bad for the angler too, I once hooked my boyfriend in the face with a fly when he was teaching me to cast, I didn't wait long enough for him to get out of the way and I just felt sooo horrible. luckily it wasn't barbed and it was just a scratch but I learned to be really careful when casting after that :blink:

I feel bad for the angler too, I once hooked my boyfriend in the face with a fly when he was teaching me to cast, I didn't wait long enough for him to get out of the way and I just felt sooo horrible. luckily it wasn't barbed and it was just a scratch but I learned to be really careful when casting after that :blink:

I was trying to teach my self to flyfish last summer and in the process got my self in the face. Luckily it didnt catch but only fell away. I made sure no one was around. any way, right after that I decided I'd better stop the lessons.

....Truly an unfortunate accident, I hope the injured does not suffer any permanent damage.

I must say though that I'm at a total loss in regards to the following statement.

Irregardless if we are doing overhead casting or side casting, the maximum distance the rod tip should be is straight towards the sky right above us during overhead casting, or the rod tip in front at the side of our body during side casting.

About 8 yrs ago, I was netting a big rainbow on G.Bay, for a freind -the hooks pulled and I ended up with 2 hooks from a Rogue in the corner of my eye, Lucky for me it they just missed the eyeball!

I forgot my sunglasses in the truck that morning-well never again! I wear them not only for glare, but also as a safety precaution, I even keep an extra pair in the boat.

Fishing can get VERY dangerous, especially along a crowded riverbank or any other public fishing spot, weekends being the very worst! This is because of a lot of VERY inexperienced anglers, and then there's the bystanders who have to crowd you when you do get a large fish on for a better look. But . . . I don't think fishing really can be compared to hunting, as ANYBODY can walk into a store, with no knowledge whatever of fishing, lay down his / her money and get a fishing license, then buy a rod, reel & a bunch of lures with VERY sharp trebles, and 'go to it' . . . no instructions, no advice. To get a hunting license & a permit to own a gun, I believe it's manditory to take one or more safety / familiarity courses? Too bad there wasn't SOME type of instructional course for getting a fishing license!

But, not only can casting lures be dangerous, I've float-fished quite often . . . and several times cautioned bystanders about standing too close, explaining if my float goes down, and I try to set the hook, IF I miss, that float, hook & bait is comin' back . . . . REAL FAST!! Even bottom fishing . . . . a hook can pull out, and the egg sinker can come back, just like a bullet!! I accidentally got a bystander at the Ganny a couple years ago . . . . I had a big salmon on, my medium / heavy rod was bent 90 degrees, and the hook let go. The 50 gram egg sinker nailed a guy (whom I had just warned about standing right behind my rod) right in the forehead, and actually sat him on his butt! At least (after we ascertained he was okay) he had a sense of humour . . . "HOW DO I EXPLAIN THIS TO MY WIFE," he moans, while gingerly running his fingers over an egg on his head, like a golf ball . . . "SURE AS 'ELL SHE'LL ACCUSE ME OF BEING IN A BAR-ROOM BRAWL, INSTEAD OF WATCHING THE SALMON DOWN AT THE RIVER LIKE I SAID I WAS GOING OUT TO DO!!" This was a case where I believe I had done all I could to prevent any mishap . . . . the guy was warned . . . twice . . . . . I had explained the bent rod he had moved to within 3' of, if the hook let go, would take his head right off. I've occasionally ended up with my float hitting me, but this was a first for getting a guy with a sinker!

I did study a course in business law at school regarding NEGLIGENCE. Even if the person is innocent and has no intention of hurting or destroying other's property, being negligent, he will have to be somewhat responsible for some kind of expenses determined by the judge, if he does not have any money to pay, than there is nothing anyone can do, that is when a person files for personal bankruptcy to protect his assets in case of a lawsuit that he cannot get out of.

O.J was found guilty and needs to pay, but he showed no asset and protected from bancruptcy clause, therefore he is free to roam our world, and until he can generate some income, there is nothing our society can do.

I have heard enough and seen too many cases of others being snagged from behind, more accident happening also due to more anglers on the water, or we are too much in a hurry to catch our limited fish, and with the internet news accessible to all of us, we can hear of this type of report more often than before.

When an angler is too focus on fishing, he/she will not always remember to look back at every cast, and there will always be some unsuspecting bystander or jogger who is not familiar with anglers casting as well. I am still somewhat insulted when many people today assume that fishing is just adding a bait or worm on a hook and than wait for hours to catch a fish, they are the ones who are more likely to sneak behind an angler courteuosly not directly disturbing the angler, curious but potentially getting snagged, exactly what had happened on this case.

Rather than be sorry that someone else got hurt because of my potential negligent casting action, I chose to correct my son's and my casting technique, it has given me a peace of mind whenever I cast, but I do get paranoid at times when I am too close to other anglers.

I was on a backpacking/Mountainbike trip fishing for brookies in Fortess Lk (Hamber Prov. Park, BC) in the early 1990's and took a hook, that brushed my eyeball. I was basically blinded in one eye for few days and unable to really fish. Just an accident in my case, with the fellow that I was with doing a fast hookset.....and having the lure come out of the water. Scarey stuff.

outdoorguy61

For after dark fishing, just wear some safety glasses, get em from your local hardware store. This sort of PPE would be mandated in any workplace given the hazards of flying hooks. Why would you choose to be less safe than at work?

I believe legally the angler would be at fault. After all, he is the one swinging the "weapon" in the air and should be looking behind him before he casts.

Ethically, they are both at fault. Nothing I hated more on Port Dover pier than having to make 30 shoulder checks to make sure no stupid tourist was standing over my shoulder every time I casted.