Quinte trips 2 & 3 with pics

Badger Shark

Hey guys, well I didnt get to do a report from last week because I couldnt get the pics to work but now they do so I will do last week and this week together.

Last week we got out on the water and headed up Adolphus Reach to the lighthouse and started trolling a big school. We had set up 4 rods, two with leadcore. After a few minutes Erics board goes and he has an eye on, this eye had plans on making our day a mess as he decided to head right through the other two lines and tangled them all together. Well Eric ended up bringing in this fish by hand and then proceeded to detangle all the lines which took him about an hour. More patience than me.

About an hour goes by and finally I get a fish on, I knew right away this was not an eye, turned out to be my first ever sheephead, what a fight.

Another hour or so and Eric has another fish on and he gets it in and it an eye.

Several more hours go by and the last fish of the day comes in and its an eye. That was it for the day. We had about 10 hits but a very bad boating percentage with only four.

This week we arrived at the launch just after 8 head out even further to work a big school out towards the gap. The problem this week is the fish were really deep. Also a rare thing for Quinte was the water was glass.

We fished for quite some time and Eric finally gets a fish on, gets into the boat and is an eye with a nice tumor or wart or whatever on it.

We keep working the area and I am getting restless and I say " Comon fish I need to catch......... I didnt get to finish my sentence and my board was being dunked and my line was ripping away, I knew it was another sheephead. This sucker was ripping line like crazy, it took me almost 10 to 15 min. to finally get it in. This fish was big as you will see in the picks.

I am 5'10 and weigh 220lbs just to give you a bit of a reference.

Well we try and try and try for more fish but they just were not biting out in the reach so we decided to go and work the other side of the ferry. We marked tonnes of fish but they were just sitting and not biting. While we tried to get these guy to go we got a freak 20 min. hailstorm and it got cold.

After working this area for a while we decided since it was starting to get late we would work our way back towards the launch. We finally marked some big arches and then we got the last fish of the day. All in all I personally think the fish are just lazy on Sundays or religious! :lol: At least we werent shut out and had a nice day out on the water.

We will be heading back this Sunday.

normal_Eric_eye_#2_week_2.JPG for some reason this pic won't come up. Sorry.

normal_Eric_eye_week_2.JPG

normal_Don_first_sheephead_week_2.JPG

normal_Eric_second_eye_week3.JPG

normal_Eric_first_eye_week3.JPG

normal_Eric_first_ever_sheephead_week3.JPG

normal_Don_big_sheephead_week3.JPG

normal_A_rare_day_of_calm_on_Quinte_week3.JPG

That a great 2 weekends of walleye fishin don !!!!!! :whistling::w00t: right on,glad to see that the fish are starting to move west of the ferry....and yes don,thats a moster of a sheephead !!!!! man they fight like crazy,and dont give up,a very strong fighting fish...great pictures as well,thanks for the report,im hoping to get down there this weekend,maybe i will see ya on sunday. B):clapping: ..i will PM you latter in the week....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Headhunter, the east side of the ferry has some big schools but they were really deep this weekend and we started out almost at the gap. That is where I got that monster sheephead. On the west side of the ferry the fish have been in there for over a month easily now and are pretty stacked up but on Sunday where they were the thickest they just were not biting. No arches just lines which to me means they are just sitting and not rising up to feed. Personally I am starting to think they are religious fish and take Sundays off :rolleyes: . I know more and more schools are coming in every week. I guess depending on the wind would be your best bet to determine where you want to fish, if it is really blowing most wont venture east of the ferry and it is easier to cover a smaller area of shallower water than the wide open deep water of the east side.

Fishendevil, that sheephead was one of the toughest fights I have ever had of any type of fish. He just kept peeling line and just when I though I had it tired out he would take off again and again and :wallbash: . And my arms were tired. Then I had to hold it up for the pics, well worth it though. Just wish I could have caught an eye. Apparently Sunday was a real tough day for everyone, even the guides. The active fish were just to deep.

Hope to see ya Sunday. And I may have room in my boat in the upcoming weeks so if anyone is interested let me know. I am trying to find someone to go with me for the weekend of the g2g from this area. If not then I will have to try and get there for the day on Sunday.

Don

Thanks for the info Badger Shark! Just trying to garner some info, prior to gettin down there next Friday... As I may be in a boat with Gerritt one day out of the two and would really like to help him put a double digit in the boat. As G's boat is smaller then some, we may have to work smaller water and I was hoping that Picton Bay would be a viable option. Thanks again!

HH

I was there on Sunday too, with the white Tracker. It was my last trip of the season. Trolled every where, but didn't catch anything. Marked a few fish in the 20-30 arnd Cemant Plant, not sure if they are all eyes. This other black Tracker caught two around that spot. Lol, talk about the hail storm, that was crazy!

Young one, I remember seeing you there, I was in the Alumacraft and we were not far from the black tracker, that was Eye-Tracker. Wwe were closest to the shoreline than most other boats in the 30 to 33 ft. range and the arches were eyes , they just were not very active.

Those are some huge Drum - Congratulations.

What lures do you use to catch those things and can they be caught from shore? I guess the water has to be deep? I wouldn't mind trying for some of those along Lake O shore in GTA if possible, they sound like fun to catch.