Catfish tournament photos

aplumma

Mike, Harry and I went on the river Saturday to watch the Cat fishing tournament that the Maryland Chapter was holding. With the wind at a steady 15 mph and gusting to 25 it was not the best day for some of the john boats that showed up. They all were game and one of the rules are you have to keep the fish alive to weigh them in. Well when I saw that the boats were showing up with horse troughs with 1000 gph pumps I knew it was going to be a good day. I decided to not enter the tournament because it was a 2 day event and I only had Saturday to play, however their were some of the nicest people their to help anyone who wanted to fish. I motored up river watching the different boats heaving 8 oz sinkers with 12 oz chunks of shad out in their favorite spots and watching them for any sign of movement. The contest was monitoring channel 68 and I had a few cell # to keep in touch with a few friends and after a little while we started getting reports of fish being caught any were from 20 lb to the big fish winner of 51.15 oz. We motored around talking to friends and watching the action and before long the bug bit us so we left the contestants and moved to an area that they were not using and began fishing ourselves. We managed a few cats below 20 lbs but the highlight was the catching of a saltwater fish in an area known for freshwater. Never before had we caught a Bluefish ( not blue cat fish) this far up the river we better get some rain soon or we will have saltwater up to Washington D.C. drinking water inlet soon. Around 4:00 we headed in for the weigh in and were amazed to see what the others had caught. I have a link for the photos and will let them speak for themselves.

catfish pictures

If you look you will see that everyone is wearing a reinforced glove. I use the steel fillet glove from Rapala. One of the fans wanted a picture of one of the fish in the holding tank and picked it up bare handed. It Was the same as putting your hand into a belt sander on the back of his hand. We got the pleasure of pouring a bottle of alcohol and scrubbing it out before we put neo sporin and a wrap on it. I am pretty sure he will not be doing it again....

Art

No sorry a photo of my little blues would have looked funny around all of them monsters chrome hen. Dano I did not take a picture of the blue fish because it was small for the species and I was not thinking ahead that you all would want to see it. Here is a photo I got off the net of one.

A different kind of fishing for sure. Thanks for taking the time to post that, Art. I took the time to examine most of those pics and there's loads to see in the folks' expressions and so on. Great stuff, Thanks.

No sorry a photo of my little blues would have looked funny around all of them monsters chrome hen. Dano I did not take a picture of the blue fish because it was small for the species and I was not thinking ahead that you all would want to see it. Here is a photo I got off the net of one.

There's a fish in that picture Art...I can't find it...

"chuckle" yea me looking that good in life......got a smile and a laugh out out of me this time. This is just a prime example of how to present a good backdrop for a nice fish.... so far no one has seen the steeples in the back round were it was caught.

Art