HELP, twists, twists, twists?

bassjnkie

I am getting so fustrated :wallbash: . Here it goes. I have 3 light action setup that are doing the same thing. I have 2 sedonas 1500 and an ultralight abu reel. I use these for panfish. I have 8# PP on the sedonas, and 8# mono on the abu, then have my slip bobber stop, a bead, small slip bobber, then 1/8oz sliding finesse weight, to a blackbird swivel on 2 rods and ballbearing swivel on the other, to 4# flouro leader, with a 1/64oz jighead.

The twists bother me, because the line tangles in the reel and I have to strip some line and retie. This is fresh line on these reels.

Please help, replacing line all the time is to $$$$$.

Thanks,

Daniel

I'd have to say they weren't spooled properly...

Did you have the spool like this?

i110376sq02.jpg

I find holding the spool with the label towards the reel helps to reduce line twist. Do 15-20 wraps and slack off. If the line goes limp, you're good. If it twists, you spooled in the wrong direction.

To correct your line, let the bare line all out behind the boat and reel it back in. If you're not in the boat, have your best friend go for a walk with it.

-Brian

Also for spinning reels ,with most trilene products,lay the spool on the ground with the label facing up...and it goes on with the natural loops....thats for most trileene lines....for a baitcaster spool it up from the top of the spool with the line comming from the top and not the bottom,nice video as well....good-luck hope we helped cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

it sounds like you put yer line on backwards... the line must come off the spool the same direction it goes onto the reel.

try stripping the line down to the spool... take it to the local football field..pinch it with wet fingers and reel it in ..the twists are gone..

Good Luck.

If you are following the above directions on spooling the reel you might be cranking against the drag. Nothing twists a spinning outfit faster or worse!

Except trolling a Mepps without a really good ...swivel ... sometimes just dragging a worm on a hook will do that too ...

A tip to avoid line twists is to close the bail by hand & don't crank the reel to close it.

Really. Please explain that one. And here all of these years I've been letting the bail close by cranking the handle.

Really. Please explain that one. And here all of these years I've been letting the bail close by cranking the handle.

When you crank the handle to close the bail it will sometimes (depending on the reel) throw a loop in the line if there is any slack line. The high quality reels usually don't do this.

Edited by Zib

When you crank the handle to close the bail it will sometimes (depending on the reel) throw a loop in the line if there is any slack line. The high quality reels usually don't do this.

K thanks. I'll have to write that one down for future reference.

I wouldn't assume that...

Spool it out behind the boat with nothing on it and reel it back in...or across a football field.

I'll second both of your points. One time Barkley's actually wrapped by brother's line around the spool backwards. Reeling in would remove the line from the spool instead of putting it on. So the tackle shops are certainly not infallible.

I have also had a lot of success removing twists by trolling a line with out any tackle behind the boat for a couple of minutes.

One helpful tip to avoid loops on your line is to point your rod toward your lure after a cast, then reel in only enough to trip your bail (or flip it by hand as Zib suggested) then snap your rod back as if you are setting the hook before you begin your retrieve. This will tighten the line and remove any loops before you reel them onto your spool.

There's only three reasons to get bad line twist...

1. Improperly spooled line

2. Bait or lure twisting the line

3. Reeling in while the drag is going out.

I've seen a big steelhead roll so much it buggered up 40 yards of line but that is pretty rare. Eliminate two of the possibilities and the one left, no matter how improbable it seems, is the correct answer.

The best cure I've found is either to let out 50 yrds or so into a moving stream (nothing on the end) or to troll 50 yrds of line (again nothing attached) behind a slow moving boat. Levae the line out for five minutes then reel it back it between your fingers to add tension to the line.

Have you line spooled somewhere else next time and see what happens. Don't assume the tackle store is doing it right.

I have to agree that the line is being put on the reel wrong. The easiest way to solve it is to let the line spool out behind a boat but if you don't have a boat (like I used to) here's a good easy fix. Tie on a swivel and make your way out to a local base ball or high school field. Clip the swivel to the fence and walk your line off the reel. After getting all the line off try to keep some good pressure on the line as you reel in to keep it tight to the reel. Every 10-15ft of crankin' relax on the line pressure and see if it's kinkin' up on ya. If so then you can usually just shake the line strait.

FHR

. . . . or, the simplest way, buy your line in bulk, Fishing Depot, Fishing World, Tightlines & Gagnons are a few who have a good array of bulk line, choose what you want, and they put the RIGHT amount on your reel, the RIGHT way! If it's not too busy, you buy a normal spool of line, Gagnon's & Fishing World will put it on your reel for you. It might cost a few pennies more, but takes care of the aggravation you're getting!

I'd have to say they weren't spooled properly...

Did you have the spool like this?

i110376sq02.jpg

I find holding the spool with the label towards the reel helps to reduce line twist. Do 15-20 wraps and slack off. If the line goes limp, you're good. If it twists, you spooled in the wrong direction.

To correct your line, let the bare line all out behind the boat and reel it back in. If you're not in the boat, have your best friend go for a walk with it.

-Brian

Oh Ya, I have that line spooler, never tried it. Does it work well

• 4 weeks later...

After you get the line on the spool the right way....

Run some hot water over the spool & line, this will help to take the

memory from the line being on the BIG spool and put some memory

back into the line on your reel spool....

You will see the difference, try it..

Dave

And ... try tightening your drag .... I really am surprised the number of 'seasoned' fisherman I have to remind that continuing to reel while your drag is loose will VERY QUICKLY make a mess of otherwise 'perfectly' spooled line.

In fact I tell people DONT use the handle to reel against a fish ... use the handle to pick up line as you are on the downstroke of a 'pump' only to keep the line taught and the rod bent ...and NEVER use the hande to crank against bottom (sounds obvious - and sorry if it sounds like Im preaching - just trying to rule out some possible causes)

I will say - even when ice fishing (ie vertically) ... that jigging with very light line will always seem to end up with some line twist - so time must be taken every so often to untwist (and re-tie)

And ... try tightening your drag .... I really am surprised the number of 'seasoned' fisherman I have to remind that continuing to reel while your drag is loose will VERY QUICKLY make a mess of otherwise 'perfectly' spooled line.

In fact I tell people DONT use the handle to reel against a fish ... use the handle to pick up line as you are on the downstroke of a 'pump' only to keep the line taught and the rod bent ...and NEVER use the hande to crank against bottom (sounds obvious - and sorry if it sounds like Im preaching - just trying to rule out some possible causes)

I will say - even when ice fishing (ie vertically) ... that jigging with very light line will always seem to end up with some line twist - so time must be taken every so often to untwist (and re-tie)

Thanks for the advise, but I don't reel against my drag. But I did figure out the problem, the shot. So I changed to a finesse weight that slides freely, never had a problem yet.

Ya, I learned my lesson by reeling against my drag when I first has a rod in my hand, 6 years old, since then the handle is to pick up the slack.

Thanks for all the advice I god for all the members out there.

Daniel

OCH