Next Le Baron No Tax Sale

fishinggeek

Good price, not much of a service, except for that delightfully charming lady in the clothing section in Markham location.

So....they sell clothing? And what else? I am quite thick, after all I am just a carpenter who likes to fish. I am assuming that it is a tackle store.

I just saw the web site ......wow!

Edited by hometownhandyman

Le Baron is the best in terms of price for a retail store. I have no complaints about the service myself. It isn't service with a smile, but it's decent. Browse the catalogue, decide to buy, go there and buy it. I really can't justify spending far more at practically all other tackle stores (I won't name names) for exactly the same items. And most of us buy quite a bit of tackle in a year, so it really adds up.

I have been surprised the last couple of times I have been to LeBarons Markham

their people seem friendlier and their service is better...

I agree Terry !!

I used to shop at LeB's quite a bit, even in the old Yonge St. store back inthe day, but then the attitudes began going downhill and I hadn't been back in several years until this past spring.

They offered the best price on a troll motor I wanted, and I'd heard how the attitudes had improved so I thought I'd give them another try and was very impressed with the way I was treated. Infact they went outta their way for me and I actually enjoyed shopping there again.

I'll be back

Just order online...save the gas and border delays.

For example, using Cabelas.

I Just ordered 10 J-9 Rapala's for $52.90 (Regular $5.99 each but save $.70 each if you order 10 or more)

Add on their shipping rate from the chart below...

Order Amount Standard Express

$0 - $25.00 $4.95

$25.01 - $50.00 $7.95

$50.01 - $75.00 $8.95

$75.01 - $100.00 $10.95

$100.01 - $150.00 $12.95

$150.01 - $200.00 $13.95

$200.01 - $250.00 $14.95

Over $250.00 $16.95

$52.90 + $8.95 = $61.85

That works out to $6.19 each Rapala - DELIVERED TO MY DOORSTEP!

Why the *bleep* is it $9.99 + Tax for a single J-9 Rapala at any local tackle shop around here???

Even better...I also ordered a new pair of breathable chest waders and studded felt sole boots at half the cost I would have paid here...

The local shops complain about lack of business and support, is it any wonder?

Tony

i have been to Lebarons lots of times in markham,and i really like the store and yes they are very freindly for sure,and good deals to be had as well...and if you can find it cheaper they will match it no prob...cant go wrong....but i agree with gerritt,too i just ordered 5 yo-zuri crystal minnows from cabelas,and they took our dollar right at par so i saved prob 25 bucks for sure it worked out i think 6-7 bucks each...in gagnons spots in oshawa they are 12 bucks each !!!!! ya do the math

Being in the retail business (not fishing) I feel I should comment. Yes stuff in the U.S. is cheaper right now, sometimes, because of the dollar. The retailer really has no choice in the prices. The product was bought maybe up to a year ago at a set price. The retailer does not get compinsation to sell cheaper. They just get to make even less money. Even the suppliers for these products have their hands tied somewhat. I am in the midst of ordering a lot of product for next year, taking this into consideration. Being a smaller retailer I do not get the big discounts that the big boys get. It's not like gas where the price can flucuate by the second. I still do not understand that situation.

Being a smaller retailer though, I can offer you the service. As does the outfitters that I get all my fishing stuff from. They give me tips on locations, lures to use, support local derbies, etc. There is no hidden costs to shop from them. Such border fees, gas, time, duty, etc. I will pay more to support the local guys because I want to help keep them there. They are a great piece of knowledge for me, and have made my reintroduction to fishing a very pleasant experience. I want to be able to go to them in the future when the dollar changes again.

What goes around comes around. By spending your money at the local tackle shop means they can spend money locally for what they want need. The buck doesn't stop once you buy something. If you spend locally the local economy will grow. If you spend it elsewhere there economy grows.

Not looking for a debate, I just thought I would chime in on how pricing works.

In the News......

Canadian retailers should lower prices, consumers, bankers say

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 09:04 AM

By: Jaime Pulfer and 680News staff

Toronto - You've no doubt heard the advertising sell-line "We pass the savings on to you!"

No retailer has ever attracted a single customer by saying, "We're keeping bigger profits to ourselves!"

But it appears that's what they'll be doing despite the financial windfall from the high dollar.

With the dollar soaring and retailers sitting on their highest profits in years, you might anticipate some price trimming for the upcoming shopping season.

Yes, you might. But it likely won't happen.

Consumers questioned at Union Station Wednesday morning say it would definitely help if retailers on this side of the border would adjust their prices to reflect the lofty loonie.

Retailers like Sears Canada, Lulu Lemon and Reitman's say they don't plan to cut prices, suggesting the cost of doing business in this country means those prices will stay the same. Some insist their prices are already in line with those of their American counterparts.

It may be holiday shopping time, but a National Bank financial report says if retailers don't make a few adjustments, there will be no way to prevent Canadian shoppers from running for the border.

Count me amongst those that refuse to be gouged.. want to make money? be fair.... pretty simple... great service only goes so far, especially with the middle class shrinking more and more every year...Negotiate better prices from your suppliers and pass the savings forward.. Retailers are reporting record Profits... think it is from cost cutting measures?? it is a direct result of the buying power of our dollar... companies like Sears, FutureShop, BestBuy are buying stock on a weekly if not daily basis to replenish inventory... are we seeing those savings??

Until we do I will do whatever it takes to keep more money in my pocket

Sorry if some of the small retailers cant compete but that is the reality in todays global market... But MANY MANY Small retailers are still surviving .... in fact I have seen small retailers with better prices that large retailers on more then a couple occasions..

I am just tired of being screwed pretty simple.

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

Being in the retail business (not fishing) I feel I should comment. Yes stuff in the U.S. is cheaper right now, sometimes, because of the dollar. The retailer really has no choice in the prices. The product was bought maybe up to a year ago at a set price. The retailer does not get compinsation to sell cheaper. They just get to make even less money. Even the suppliers for these products have their hands tied somewhat. I am in the midst of ordering a lot of product for next year, taking this into consideration. Being a smaller retailer I do not get the big discounts that the big boys get. It's not like gas where the price can flucuate by the second. I still do not understand that situation.

Being a smaller retailer though, I can offer you the service. As does the outfitters that I get all my fishing stuff from. They give me tips on locations, lures to use, support local derbies, etc. There is no hidden costs to shop from them. Such border fees, gas, time, duty, etc. I will pay more to support the local guys because I want to help keep them there. They are a great piece of knowledge for me, and have made my reintroduction to fishing a very pleasant experience. I want to be able to go to them in the future when the dollar changes again.

What goes around comes around. By spending your money at the local tackle shop means they can spend money locally for what they want need. The buck doesn't stop once you buy something. If you spend locally the local economy will grow. If you spend it elsewhere there economy grows.

Not looking for a debate, I just thought I would chime in on how pricing works.

Agreed CB, but aside from the recent strong dollar, prices are still WAY more than what can be had from the U.S.

Example: I wanted to purchase 2 Shimano 4500 Baitrunners for Carp fishing earlier this year (4 months ago). Price at local tackle shop $179 each - Price in U.S. $109 each. No dollar difference in history can match a $70 difference for the exact same product :wallbash:

Cleary something isn't right. Same with the Rapala example I gave in my last thread $5.99 in U.S. - $9.99 at local tackle shop...

I agree about the service comment, but 99% of the time I know exactly what I want to buy and 50% or more of the time when I drive to the local tackle shop they are out of stock on the things I want or are awaiting their next bulk shipment. They can have the best customer service in the world, but what good is it if they don't stock the product that I specifically went there for?

Brick & Mortar businesses are great, but they need to embrace and adapt to the efficiency of the Internet business model at the same time. Offer your service and local knowledge as a bonus, but compete with other businesses for our hard earned dollars. All that service and local knowledge is useless if your buyers refuse to enter your doors because they can buy a new rod or reel with the savings they can achieve by doing business over the border.

It would be great to hear from tackle retailers on this. Are you guys being had by Canadian tackle distributors or what?!

Tony