Baitcast recommendations

Toronto_Angler

Hey all,

Looking at buying my first Baitcast reel and rod. Tried out my friends a couple weeks ago and love the control it gives you (I didn't even birdsnest that much). I'm looking at a Shimano Curado 201, 300 or a Chronarch 50mg. Anyone prefer one over the other? Is the Chronarch worth the extra price over the Curado?

Both very good reels but I'd go Curado just for the price difference. I guess you know that the 201 is left handed and the 300 and 50 are right handed? Model numbers ending in a "1" are lefties. Good luck with whichever you choose.

I'll second Roy's recommendation. Go with Curado; you won't regret it.

You'll also have to decide on the size of the reel and its gear ratio. Curado 100 is smaller, with 6.2 gear ratio. The 200 series are bigger, with 7.0 gear ratio for DHSV and 5.0 for DPV. I have all three; for what it's worth, I like the 100 series for its lighter weight, smaller profile, and mid-range gear ratio. The 200 series gives you more line capacity, and with DHSV, you can burn spinnerbaits and spend less time cranking back your lure, so it's another good choice. I wouldn't opt for DPV as an all-around reel though, as it takes forever to crank back the lure; good for pitching worms and working them slowly though.

Thanks for the Advice guys. I've decided to go with the Curado 100DC since I think it's best as an all around reel. Don't reel have the money yet to grab different reels for different situations.

Terry-> Maybe when I win the lottery ro find a crazy deal on ebay like someone I know :whistling:

My friend has a Curado, trouble free for many years, great reel. I have fished with a low profile Quantumn tour edition for just as many years, trouble free and I love it! The difference is I spent about $100 less, with the saving I bought a nice Shimano rod to a accompany the reel. For spinning reels, nothing but Shimano but Baitcasters, I would look at a few different makes including Daiwa, Abu Garcia and Quantumn. Make sure it has a 6 to 1 gear ratio, at least.

I've fished Curados just because my buddy bought them. I now own 5 BPS Extremes and for 1/2 the price of the Curado I do not find that much difference.

The Curado has a more solid feel in the hand but I pitch, flip and cast just as well with the BPS even with the lighter jigs and tubes

Not the Quantum Energy that I have sitting on the shelf in the basement.

Hey cool, I have one just like that.

Do you have it in a matching spinning reel like I do ?

Never again.

The Curado is a sweet reel but I gotta admit I have more BPS reels now than anything, and I haven't killed

one yet.

Hookset.