More attacks on Asian fishermen

lew

I know the spot and it is a fish sanctuary

so if you are harassing people fishing illegally, is that racial or is that trying to put a stop to poachers......

.............if nothing else it is bring fishing problems to the public forums...............

Wow, that's a pretty inflamatory statement. Can't say that I agree...

By chance do you reside in Sutton?

No but if I did id be there using any means I had to ,to put a stop to this nonsense,its illegal/poaching I dont care where your from

Edited by 2 Tone Z71

they deserve the heavy beating and a ticket back to asia if they dont like ONTARIOS laws

Your action would then be no different than what people here are saying that is so wrong.

You break the law then let the authorities deal with it.

Would your action be any different from me running you off the highway because you are speeding and breaking the law?

I guess the next time you're going over the limit on the 401 in your Z71 it'll be okay if someone runs you off the road into a ditch and injures or kills you and your family then? After all, you were breaking the law so they should use Any Means necessary to prevent it from happening.

We see complaints on here all the time. If you see a poacher, take a picture, take a license plate, report it to TIPS. Do the right thing.

If you try to take the law in to your own hands, then you're no better than the perpetrator.

The blame for all of this resides with the enforcement. They should be out there protecting the resource and they should also be out there protecting the anglers.

Charles

** Lazybum beat me to it!

Edited by charlesn

I guess the next time you're going over the limit on the 401 in your Z71 it'll be okay if someone runs you off the road into a ditch and injures or kills you and your family then? After all, you were breaking the law so they should use Any Means necessary to prevent it from happening.

We see complaints on here all the time. If you see a poacher, take a picture, take a license plate, report it to TIPS. Do the right thing.

If you try to take the law in to your own hands, then you're no better than the perpetrator.

The blame for all of this resides with the enforcement. They should be out there protecting the resource and they should also be out there protecting the anglers.

Charles

** Lazybum beat me to it!

Charles,

I would say the blame does not fall on enforcement... the Blame falls on the angler to know the rules and to respect our laws (regardless of ethnicity) the excuse of not speaking english no longer washes.. they print the regs in many different languages just for this reason.

Blame the law breakers... not the MNR.

Gerritt.

I believe our immigration laws are way too lax. Proper background checks are not conducted on a regular enough basis and our rules once immigrants are here are too soft. Immigrants should be put on notice, if you break the law, you get sent back from whence you came immediately. I don't care if it involves drive by shootings, street racing, simple assault, theft or poaching. If this was the case, they'd learn to read the signs pdq. I'm no racist, immigrants coming from anywhere should be put on these kinds of conditions. Obey the laws or get out.

I have avoided this topic but enough.I was raised that you treat others the way you wish to be treated and as a father of 3 I am forcing this line of thinking onto my kids.Poaching by any race is wrong and should be dealt with,by the law not some lynch mob.To say they deserve a harsh beating if they don't like Ontario laws just blows my mind since in one part you mention the laws yet you are guilty of assault for the beating.Where is the logic?If you don't like the laws or feel like they are not enforced do something to correct them.Maybe educate or talk to people,but to resort to violence makes you no better then them as you are breaking laws as well.I know racism happens but in this day and age there is no reason it should.If you see poaching or what not happening would it not be better to do something productive about it than non-productive? Violence solves nothing and only blows situations out of control.Sorry for the rant but with all these violent topics lately and the trouble in Jena in the states it really makes me worry for my children growing up in a society where violence is so easily thought of as a first reaction.There, I am done and am going fishing.

I have never fish this Westport area as it is way too far for me but I have heard that some asia from Toronto being at Lucky Tackle that they fish around this area. Not sure exactly where and I don't have a regulation booklet in front of me now, could someone tell me where the sanctuary area is and the page # that it is on for Westport. I will be more than likely to stop by Lucky sometime this week and pass this information on. I to can't stand to have ours lakes rape from poachers from any ethnic background as it is illegal. If there is illegal fish being sold on the black market, can we find a way to catch and charge the seller, the middleman and buyer? Almost forgot, including the people that were involve in the beating to.

I believe our immigration laws are way too lax. Proper background checks are not conducted on a regular enough basis and our rules once immigrants are here are too soft. Immigrants should be put on notice, if you break the law, you get sent back from whence you came immediately. I don't care if it involves drive by shootings, street racing, simple assault, theft or poaching. If this was the case, they'd learn to read the signs pdq. I'm no racist, immigrants coming from anywhere should be put on these kinds of conditions. Obey the laws or get out.

When was the last time you had a background check, Bob?

There should not be different laws or regulations on immigrants any more so than people who were born here. That is why we can be proud to call ourselves Canadians, we are all equal as Canadian citizens.

Education, individual responsibility, and enforcement are the key to ensuring that all citizens abide by fishing regulations.

Tony

I have avoided this topic but enough.I was raised that you treat others the way you wish to be treated and as a father of 3 I am forcing this line of thinking onto my kids.Poaching by any race is wrong and should be dealt with,by the law not some lynch mob.To say they deserve a harsh beating if they don't like Ontario laws just blows my mind since in one part you mention the laws yet you are guilty of assault for the beating.Where is the logic?If you don't like the laws or feel like they are not enforced do something to correct them.Maybe educate or talk to people,but to resort to violence makes you no better then them as you are breaking laws as well.I know racism happens but in this day and age there is no reason it should.If you see poaching or what not happening would it not be better to do something productive about it than non-productive? Violence solves nothing and only blows situations out of control.Sorry for the rant but with all these violent topics lately and the trouble in Jena in the states it really makes me worry for my children growing up in a society where violence is so easily thought of as a first reaction.There, I am done and am going fishing.

Very well said!

Charles,

I would say the blame does not fall on enforcement... the Blame falls on the angler to know the rules and to respect our laws (regardless of ethnicity) the excuse of not speaking english no longer washes.. they print the regs in many different languages just for this reason.

Blame the law breakers... not the MNR.

Gerritt.

Gerritt,

I agree with what you are saying, everyone should know the rules. But there are some that know the rules and will still poach. Is it okay then to be violent against them? Where do we send a 4th or 5th generation Canadian poacher?

I still say the blame falls on enforcement. If they were out there enforcing, then the perpetrators would either stop or continue to pay fines and face further consequences. If they were out there enforcing and paying fines, the ignoramuses trying to take the law into their own hands would not feel the need or urge to do so.

I don't think ignorance of the laws is the only reason these people poach. I think they know the laws, probably better than some of us do, they just feel it is worth the risk. Why would they feel it is worth the risk? Same as jaywalking or littering (how many on this board will smoke a cig and then just throw the butt on the ground). They are subject to fines, but the chances of getting caught are very very minimal to say the least and the punishment is minimal even if caught and convicted.

When I say enforcement I'm not talking about the CO, I'm talking about the entire infrastructure from the Premier or whoever decides the funding and on down.

Charles

This is why I have been trying to organize people to have the MnR start a volunteer Reqruitment system for volunteer CO's.

I am sure lots of people would happily volunteer there time under circumstances to help assist CO's.

It is plainly obvious that the MnR will not have enough funding, but perhaps with a small squadrun of properly trained volunteer's we could make some headway. Give them minimal powers like give a fine, take picture have it noterized appear in court as a witness, direct line to CO's for dispatch etc... We have volunteer firefighters, police can deputize if need be why not CO's to help patrol the areas we fish. We take such pride in saying we want to conserve our fisheries this would be a chance to do it.

As for beating someone up because they are breaking the law well thats just plain dumb. Now if the person was molesting some kid well thats another story. But illegally fishing? Give me a break, call the cops have a chat with them but use your brain.

Especially with all the news about nipper tipping. Your just asking for a KKK hanging if you attack an asian fishermen if they are in the right or wrong.

When was the last time you had a background check, Bob?

I don't recall the last one but I've likely undergone dozens in my lifetime. Apply for a job that requires you to be bonded. Apply for a gun permit. Apply for a mortgage loan, there are dozens of background checks on folks all the time. Just seems to me that not enough background checks are being done on immigrants. If there were, we wouldn't have so many criminal gangs here. How many gang shootings in Toronto are perpetrated by immigrants? Bottom line, there should be checks on those that want to come and live here. Make sure they weren't criminals in their home countries before letting them in. I'm not advocating the use of violence or anything like that, but we should be tougher on lawbreakers.

Oh yeah, folks lucky enough to be born here that break laws should be prosecuted and suffer the consequences too.

Pretty harsh treatment of people, never a good thing, if one was to drown do you whine you didn`t know he couldn`t swim? It could be you in jail. The best bet is to make sure the authorities are aware of the situation and apply pressure to make sure the laws are enforced. Picket the office of the people responsible for enforcement, take pictures of the violators and their vehicles, hmmm, can`t read English but have a drivers license?

More people? a shortage of jobs?= cheap labor. Our country also ignores the immigration problem.