Sweet Day Of Steelheading

FishFinder

Nice fish Aleks... don't let the others fool you as these years of steelheading have dramatically changed due to people revealing spots over the internet and everything. Keep photoshopping all you can!

See you soon,

Bojangles!

Thats the point, Bojangles. If you're worried that people are going to recognize the stream you are on, take a shot like Paulus showed. If, like ua1990 said, you'd rather have a pic with yourself in it, then take a nondescript picture. While you're at it take a wicked shot of the stream, yourself and the fish and don't post it. Instead, keep those really good pics all to yourself so that you can pull them out any time you want to check them out or show off to your buddies.

Bojangles, these years of steelheading are just like any other. When the temps dip, people stay home. If you've got guys who are hoarding on your spot because they saw ONE fish and spot posted over the internet, you've got the last laugh on them. Take it easy.

Jigger, you got that right. That is why I love winter steelheading the most more than anytime of the year. I love only seeing a sole or two on the river and there is no one to hog my drift and to rip their hook at the end of my drift. I could care less if its -20 degrees outside, I have been there done that.. winter steelheading will be by far the best season for me regardless of how many fish I have and have not pulled out per outing.

Here is an example of shots I would take occasionally with abit of background or not having to use Paint or Photoshop at all.

OneOfTheMany.jpg

SuperNiceBrown.jpg

But then.. another example would be Fishfinder123 using the Sobeys background on a small bow of mine! :P

Happy Holidays!

Bojan Z

wow,

I didn't notice the line first time LOL...

I to would rather see a natural back ground but hey...if its gonna give yer spot away then fine.

But if its just trees and rocks leave the pic as is.

On a side note,

What I would like to see is some more detail...

What body of water, what baits, colours, time of day, weather conditions, water temps, flow, clarity etc...

Let not be just a brag board right...share the knowlage.

P.s.

Nice Bow...the bergs look nice as well :P

Edited by Cookslav

Nice trout, fishfinder. It's your report, do what you want with the pics.

But I'd agree with some of the others, I'd rather see a untouched photo with just water or the sky in the background, nothing that could give up one of your spots, than a photoshopped photo, but that's just my two cents...

Mike

You know, thats all I seem to use. Its like a lure ya just cant put down even when they stop hittin. You think ok ok maybe just maybe this next cast is gonna be the one. 3 hrs later. I just love wooly buggers for steel head.

See I usualy put my fly gear away for the winter. I havnt realy been around enough fly fisherman in Ontario to know the full benifit of fishing in the winter. However I enjoy fishing in the cold weather so maybe I have a lot to learn. thanks

Nice fish Aleks... don't let the others fool you as these years of steelheading have dramatically changed due to people revealing spots over the internet and everything. Keep photoshopping all you can!

See you soon,

Bojangles!

Bojangles, you think it is busy out there now.. should of seen it 15yrs ago. There is a lot more shoulder room out there today IMO.

For those who don't understand why the sensitivity of steeelheading.

A background shot will let the seasoned and/or lazy steelheaders get an idea what river or creek has good colour and/or a fresh run while others are still too high or dirty to fish etc..for one example. Yes, a simple laydown, tree or bend in the river will give away location.

and it really isnt rocket science.... a pulse can get fish if basic techniques are followed.

I think the ability to read the water and knowledge of how fish relate to varying conditions is what sets steelheaders apart. Therefore posting pics with locations just opens doors for your hard work to be "taken advantage" of.

That being said... to each their own, post away, there are no secret spots... just don't show any of my water ok.. hahah... All cookie cutters anyway.. no point!

Edited by Harrison

its his report - let'em do as he wants - thanks for posting!

i think this is why we dont see as many reports as there used to be - the potential to getting knit-picked for whatever reason (good or bad, too much or too little detail)

and what Phil said, dig into some magazines from the 80's or early 90's many more guys pounding the banks - thats cause there wasnt interent / frequent reports, more coverage/communication etc....

more anglers DID the legwork for whatever season/species

I know a lot of people that can recognize a tributary by the water colour, the banks/trees, and even the bottom substrate.

Keep your pics photo-shopped!

That being said, it's unfortunate we can't share our experiences without fear of our locations being pillaged the next day because of Internet fishermen.

Cheers,

Tony

BTW good job on getting some fish, I know it can make a difference going to a light leader (3lb). The thing is that you hook more but land less, it certainly exercises your fish landing skills :)

I just threw out a spool of 4lb leader that must have got old, hooked a fish and it snapped like nothing. New leader material can make 3 or 4lb seem like 6lb, ditch last years supply lol.

Edited by tonyb

Congratulations on another fish....I don't blame you for photoshopping for obvious reasons. With all this criticism I'm surprised that you post your pics on a regular basis...good for you....you caught the fish post it how you like.

I have one request...the next fish you get...can we get the B.C. mountains in the background?hehehe

Jason

Here's my 2 cents..

It is his report and his pictures. If he wants to change them, that is up to him. It may be far easier to edit the image afterwards then to try and find the right angle/background/light and still have the fish swim away. Take your pics and do with them as you wish.

Me...I would just go nuts with the blur tool on the background. But you'll notice I fish pretty mucht he same way and time as CCMTCanada so there never is any background to give away.

If you don't like someones pics...don't look. Why take the time to post that you don't like the way someone handled their pics...I don't get it.

I have experienced 'internet steelheading' alot. I used to post background reports quite a few years ago.. and I remember my spot being SWARMED by anglers the next day. The problem is that there are too many lurkers around. Take a look at this site for example. Its a great site don't get me wrong and everyone is informative with anything that has to do with fishing and the outdoors, but you see.. this site is soo open that lurkers can just come on here and see whats going on where, when, and how. If this was a site that can only be viewed by registered members, then thats another thing. Look at all the people that are registered under floatfishing.net, CRAA.on.ca, etc and have 0 POSTS.. I wonder why?

Just my 0.02 cents.

The only people who would know are people who have already fished the area anyway, plus all you have to do is go to a local bait shop to find out where people are fishing along with a million other ways to find a spot. I don't think a lazy background shot is going to effect fishermans secret holes.IMHO.

Nice fish though, you could try some WD-40 or the spray you use to get ice out of key holes on your rod to stop ice build up it works good.

I think that theres a solution that would leave both sides satisfied. Take a picture with your fish, lets say you got it at Duffins. Photoshop it so that you get a backround from the Notty. That way you get a nice looking fish with some great natural scenery and not divulge even the smallest crumb of info on where you were at!The people reading the report can be "satisfied" that its a natural shot, and the guy/girl writing the report could laugh their guts out! :w00t: I wouldn't know how to do that, but I'm kind of surprised no-one has thought of it yet. <_< Cloak and Dagger Fishing <_<

Me...I would just go nuts with the blur tool on the background. But you'll notice I fish pretty mucht he same way and time as CCMTCanada so there never is any background to give away.

If you don't like someones pics...don't look. Why take the time to post that you don't like the way someone handled their pics...I don't get it.

I hear you Rick. That's the thing for us....we fish at night....and shine a light on us. That way the fish is lit up nicely and the background is non-existant. As for daytime pics....if I were to ever post one, I'd do my best at the time to quickly take a pic and look at it when I get home. If there's too much to give away, I'd either not post it or photoshop it.