Do You Know How To Swim?

nelly

Ur right on that msfish, this is already opening up a whole new discussion lol, r u really gonna rely on a jacket? who knows what could go wrong. With these new kinds where u pull the cord, that could go south on u. cord could be stuck or u cant find it in time. i agree with pigeontroller.

The pull cords should not be allowed.It should be one set jacket thats it.I have seen these so called pull jackets,I myself would not wear one.Give me the full floater.

i learned how to swim the hard way when my uncle threw me into Lake Simcoe when i was young lad, i almost drowned when i was 8 when i got caught in a under tow while swimming in a river saved by a guy who was having a picnic with his family if that fellow would not have seen/heard me i would have been a fish food, that episode never held me back i loved swimming and still do was on the swim team in high school, just got back from the Domincan a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed a week of swimming in the reefs and the ocean surf nothing like swimming in the ocean.

I hate being a newb again!

Edited by lookinforwalleye

I can't remember when I couldn't swim...24 May weekend a few of us would try Lake Ontario down where the Leslie St Spit is now...Damn that water was cold...Then there was BAB up in Taylor's Bush (Lew's territory) by bike after school...

I kinda got back into swimming this year for excercise for my back over at the community pool in town...Dang ...am I ever out of shape...but then again...round is a shape eh? :blush:

Yep, as often as I can.

We had a sweet deal going with the neighbors when we were youngins. Their children had all left home and my parents had us four kids, so they invited us over to swim in their pool to "keep it clean" so they didn't have to have it cleaned all the time. Our swishing and splashing kept it free of alga better than them only swimming in it once a month. So they were happy and we were really happy. Then we moved onto other places and Lakes became the swimming holes, plus our cottage up in Minden. I wouldn't come out until I was a prune :lol:

Love it.

Joey

I cant remember ever not being able to swim.I can remember when the shallow end of the pool was 3 ft and over my head.I cant even remember when Art,my younger brother could not swim.We must be some of the origional water babies.Good thread.

Joe

My parents enrolled me in lessons when I was 6 and even though I went, I was still afraid of the water and never passed the first step. Later that year after I turned 7 we were in Lake Geneva Wisconsin at our cottage when I got up early one morning and was feeding panfish bread off the end of the pier which I wasn't suppose to go on it without an adult nearby. It rained overnight and the pier was wet and I leaned out to far and fell in 25 ft. of water. Well I must of learned something from those lessons cause when I popped up I swam the length of the pier to shore....very lucky I guess. Been swimming ever since and used to spend my summers in Stevensville Michigan where we would go to the lake after breakfast and stay until supper. Guess I've got older as even though we live by Lake Huron I would prefer to be in a boat, but still swim occasionally.

Edited by Garyv

I'm still a dandy swimmer. Took the weekday lessons at the Y i Peterborough, and spent Saturday mornings there too doing the Y type activities they had. As a teen, I would swim up and down the Otonnabee all afternoon.

I think we all should know how to swim. I got knocked off the dock at Lakair once by a freight train. Even tho I knew I would be ok in the water, my life still flashed in front of me. What a sobering experience that was. Well, almost sobering.

Edited by douG

Yuppers...

I had a pool growing up, and spent many of summer vacations swimming in Huron at my Granparents Cottage.

I second the notion that those who can't swim should either learn or stay away from water?

If I couldn't I think I'd be afraid to be any were near deep water?

Yep.

I tell the non swimmers it just turning your useless panic struggles into usefull ones, then you're swimming.

Thank you for all the replies. I did try to attempt a poll but somehow mess up. I did enjoy some of your terms like river rat, tadpole, and waterbug. I guess the secret is to learn while your young. Garyv and Lookinforwalleye, consider yourself very luck. Swimming is freedom.