Question: Glow in Dark Lure

ace10002

Hi everyone,

I went to meaford last weekend for Salmon/Trout fishing. I was there 6hrs and did not catch anything. :wallbash: My friend had one bite but his line was cut and that was it for all night. When I was casting my lure, I noticed other anglers with glow in dark lure use UV light and splash of flash light(I think camera flash) after a few cast. I was using just regular LED flash light and my super glow lure wasn't glowing as much. <_<

Can anyone tell me where I could get the UV flashlight? or just simple camera flash would work the same way?

Thank you.

We use a camera flash and it works quite well. So you dont wear out your batteries in your own camera for when you catch your monster, go to Goodwill or another second hand shop and buy a cheap camera with a flash. We have a few....the cost will be between $3 and $5, plus batteries of course.

Camera flashes work well. I've heard UV or Black light makes them glow longer - Can't remember which one and I've never tried it myself to see if it's true.

Nowadays I just use my head lamp with 4 LEDs for recharging the lures. It takes a few seconds and I never have to worry about keeping the camera flash dry in the rain.

Are these glow in the dark lures/jigs all they're cracked up to be ? I,ve got a few, but haven't had the opportuntity to use them yet. do they make a positive difference in dark or deep water ?

Nope...they are a gimmick. Dont make a bit of difference. Please, will everyone stop buying them in my area? I cant find them anywhere anymore!!!!

I threw regular cleos after dark for salmon for weeks....not a single fish landed. I started using glow in the dark ones 2 weeks ago...landed 5. Could be a coincidence, or the fish were not there before, but since I now have confidence in them I'll continue to use them.

Are these glow in the dark lures/jigs all they're cracked up to be ? I,ve got a few, but haven't had the opportuntity to use them yet. do they make a positive difference in dark or deep water ?

I use glow in the dark lures purely for confidence. It's been documented that staging salmon along with walleye are attracted to the phosphorescent finishes on lures.

http://www.fishontario.com/fishing/salmon/...5996&page=1

If you think about it though, salmon spend a lot of their life 100' below the surface where I would imagine it would naturally be quite dark. There's also the fact that fish have a lateral line so technically, they really don't need eyes to eat your lure.

I tried the glow in the dark ones last year on quinte and didn't catch anything with them. but I did catch a bunch with the ugliest ugly hunk of lead in my box called Crippled Herring.

Not convinced on glow in the dark lures, but I guess at the very lest they don't scare away fish.

If you go to Ebay and type U.V. flashlight you will find quite a few for little money. I use it to show homeowners that the smell in the bathroom is from little Johnny missing the toilet. It makes it glow in all of the places that the homeowner has missed while cleaning. The blacklight bulb will give you a poor glow it does not put off alot of U.V.

Art

Im just curious,...I hear about everyone chucking spoons by the mouth of the credit ...regular cleos during the day and glowing cleos at night and all the claims to landing salmon are attirbuted to this style for the most part,..but Never once Have I actually seen anyone casting a lure near the mouth,..NOT ONCE,..except for my own,...every single person I see fishing the mouth of the creidt is bottom bouncing or anchor fishing (big drop weights and several hooks and even sometimes glowing red lights with little to no casting involved),.,..usually with no bait and obviuosly flossing/lining or snagging the fish with no bait,..as 95% get lost anyway,..Ive witnessed this by the credit several dozen of times off my balcony,....Can anyone shed light on this for me??? Am I missing something,..or is there a hole lot of Bull going on with the stories,...just curious as something doesnt add up!!!

Im not sayin that cleos dont work,...My point is that I have a fortuante vantage point to watch 20-30 guys fisihing every night,..right by the mouth..and none of them throws spoons,..they are all flossing,...and yes they get hits from flossing,..and snagging to some degree,..95% break off,..point is that all thge claims are from tossing spoons but the observations suggest otherwise,..not accusing or singling anyone out,..but Ive seen it way too much not to say anything....sorry if anyone is offended,...as none is inteneded!!!

Im not sayin that cleos dont work,...My point is that I have a fortuante vantage point to watch 20-30 guys fisihing every night,..right by the mouth..and none of them throws spoons,..they are all flossing,...and yes they get hits from flossing,..and snagging to some degree,..95% break off,..point is that all thge claims are from tossing spoons but the observations suggest otherwise,..not accusing or singling anyone out,..but Ive seen it way too much not to say anything....sorry if anyone is offended,...as none is inteneded!!!

Wow... all the times I've fish the mouth... I have seen maybe 1? who fished the way you have sighted but only when most of the crowds are gone. Other than that... everybody is casting spoons.

Maybe you should come down and ask those 20 ~ 30 fishermen why they prefer to fish such way? Instead of just looking far from the vantage point.

Just my thoughts.

Wow... all the times I've fish the mouth... I have seen maybe 1? who fished the way you have sighted but only when most of the crowds are gone. Other than that... everybody is casting spoons.

Maybe you should come down and ask those 20 ~ 30 fishermen why they prefer to fish such way? Instead of just looking far from the vantage point.

Just my thoughts.

Actually, its between 10pm and 1 am where i see this,...why dont I aks them you say,..cuz I know the reason they do it...laziness and ignorance...lol,..I tried long ago to educate guys up river who snaggin ,..went so far as to cut lines and chase them away,....it doesnt do any good,...same guys back same place doin the same thing next week,...maybe we're talkin different rivers,...I dunno,...and actually its kinda funny wathin all them fish get lost after seein those gloww in the dark indicators boucin all around,...