My first Salmon from shore....

ccmtcanada

Bly and I have been heading out to a shore spot nearby for the last little while to see about all this talk about staging salmon. In preparation, I put a post up this past week about "how the heck are you supposed to land these things" after seeing a guy lose one. I received a PM from someone (you know who you are) to call them, and we chatted for a few minutes...him giving me some tips on lures and retrieves at night. Bly also went out (after I told her not to spend any money at the tackle shop) and went in search of a shock leader since we use power pro on our setups. She ended up bringing something home...just one thing...and it becomes important later on. After tonite, she's forgiven and gets a lot of credit for helping me land this thing!

Anyways, on to the story. We got there at about 7pm and began throwing lure after lure. I tried crank baits and spoons. After spending all day yesterday casting for bass with bly and fishnsled, my arms started to get a bit tired. We hadn't seen the salmon jumping as much tonight, so I figured I'd head home without a fish yet again. Evening turned to dusk and most of the people who were there headed home. I put on a new spoon and decided to throw that for a while.

At about 8:45pm, something slams my lure. I'm of course lazy and I was sitting down at the time. I haven't gotten from a sitting position to a standing position that fast in my whole life!!! I immediately set the hook and begin fighting this fish! I had hooked it about 70 feet from where I was sitting. After about 5 seconds, the thing went on a MAMMOTH run going out to about 120 feet from where I was!! I slowly and methodically brought the fish back to where the fight started...then ZIIIIIINNNNNGGG....back out there...only this time even further!! Once again, I play the fish....bringing it closer and closer...and just when I think it's time to bring it in....off it goes one more time. This time, not quite as far. It's dark out and I keep saying "come on...come to the surface...I gotta find out where this fish is!!!" It kept heading towards some structure where lets just say, if it got on the wrong side of it, he would have been gone. As the fish gets closer, we see a SPLASH on the other side of that structure. My heart sank for a split second, and then my fish finally surfaced in front of bly, who was waiting with the net.

My trusty net girl does a professional job and gets it for me. We bring it to shore and begin the measurements. This is the BIGGEST fish, other than carp, that I have ever caught. Carp fight amazingly, but they paled in comparison to this salmon. Here it is...my first ever salmon...measuring in at 35" and weighing 17 pounds 3 ounces.....

cliffsalmon35inches17pounds3ounces.jpg

I look tired in this shot because...we'll I was pretty exhausted...LOL. What a rush this was...my hands are still shaking and it was caught almost two hours ago...haha. I couldn't fish immediately after...I had to have a smoke and sit down for a while...LOL.

Well, there's my big fish story...the one that didn't get away. :)

Awesome fish, I keep saying that salmon gotta be the strongest fish I've ever caught. I know exactly how you feel. The power, the excitement, the exhaustion, and the incredible feeling that you just won one with the greatest. Enjoy, you'll never forget.

wow what a fish to start off with . Congrats Bro and that sister of mine is a genius!!!!

What a team!!!

By the way I want to slit my throat after you called my friend called from the beach and said that 10>15 # blues are crashing the beach !!!

Edited by ALEX

Wow Cliff Congrats on your first ever Salmon.Ya you look tired man.But that fish was worth it.I haven't caught a salmon since 1981 when I was 16 and I caught an 11lb COHO back then on Lake O out of bronte.

Carole whats this the hubby outfished you?Nice job with the net :thumbsup_anim:

Has to happen one in awhile.

:clapping: MTP

Shorefishing salmon at this time of year is a blast. Congrats on landing that fish.

I've been spooled a few times, at the mouth of the Oshawa Creek south of Simcoe St.

Fastracs w/ diamond pattern and Glo-Cleo's worked well.

Congrats again,

ehg

Carole whats this the hubby outfished you?Nice job with the net :thumbsup_anim:

Has to happen one in awhile.

:clapping: MTP

LOL Mike, some things will never change. Carole still has Cliff in the salmon department... she landed a 36"er from my boat in June

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r307/Sl...te/DSC00940.jpg

Having said that, catching a Chinny from shore is like nothing else... darkness, obsticles, lighter equipment... from panic to euphoria in oh, about 20 minutes LOL!!!

Congrats Cliff, keep at it - probably another 2-3 weeks before the inbound herds thin out.

-Brian