TROLLING MOTORS

addict

We just got our boat, which came with the Minn Kota 65lber,with co-pilot(remote control)and auto-pilot(always goes for a point you pick),and it is fantastic.......The Co-pilot is a small remote ,you don't even have to be on the boat,and the auto,adjusts itself,after you pick the point to aim for,in wind and waves.....takes alot of stress off the driver and gives ME more time to fish.........I hardly ever use the foot control, always the remote.......Hope this helps ...........TC and tight lines all..........Chuck........

I have a 55 pd. The only thing I don't like about the power drive is that you burn power every time you turn. Other than that, its great. I find the slide and glide release a bit tough to get in the water sometimes, but its a good set up overall. I can still fish all day long in a good wind on one battery. I have it mounted on a 16 ft deep and wide.

Sinker

I've had both and I prefer the cable steer. Reasons are: 1) the autopilot is slower to react to a change, 2) the deploy/stow procedure is cumbersome, much more so than with the cable steer system.

In theory, the autopilot sounds great but in reality the boat won't track like you would think it should. It doesn't really hold your heading in windy and wavy conditions because the waves will push the boat off course, like say 30ft to the right, and when to motor (compass) reacts it sends you to the heading previously set but you are still 30ft to the right. This motor cannot follow a contour or weedline which, in my opinion, renders it useless.

Hope this helps.

I've had both and I prefer the cable steer. Reasons are: 1) the autopilot is slower to react to a change, 2) the deploy/stow procedure is cumbersome, much more so than with the cable steer system.

In theory, the autopilot sounds great but in reality the boat won't track like you would think it should. It doesn't really hold your heading in windy and wavy conditions because the waves will push the boat off course, like say 30ft to the right, and when to motor (compass) reacts it sends you to the heading previously set but you are still 30ft to the right. This motor cannot follow a contour or weedline which, in my opinion, renders it useless.

Hope this helps.

ive used the cable steer and the lift and deploy rope is easy and fast but i find it to be alot of work and uncomfortable to constantly have your foot on the pedal if u let your foot off in the wind your motor swings out on you.

Oh.....one other thing about the PD. Its got that lovely 18ft cord on the footpedal. I can sit in my comfy seat at the back of the boat and troll to my hearts content. Its nice to have the full on switch too.....just flip the switch and its going........not like the cable steer where you need a foot on the pedal all the time. I do a lot of "steering" with my hand on the controls at the back of the boat.....especially fishing walleyes.

I've had both as well. They both have pros/cons.....but they both do the job required. It depends on what YOU want it to do for you.

Sinker

"if u let your foot off in the wind your motor swings out on you." .... I don't know what kind of motor you "used", but my Minn Kota Maxxum doesn't exhibit this problem, it stays put when I take my foot off.

"Its nice to have the full on switch too.....just flip the switch and its going........not like the cable steer where you need a foot on the pedal all the time" .... cable steer Minn Kota has a constant 'on' feature, no need to keep your foot on the pedal except to change the direction.

Calling these motors "trolling motors' is a misnomer, they should be called positioning motors. They're not realy suited for all day trolling for walleye or muskie; they're not strong enough and limited in duration. Guys, I 'owned' a PD from 1996 to 2002, a wireless unit which was a total POS, and then the wired unit for 4 years. They do work but, in my opinion, just not as good as the cable steer. I agree with Sinker's that using it from the back of the boat is nice, however I never thought that this was all that important.

My opinion only, from someone who has 'actually' owned both.

Having owned both, I must say that I love the Maxxum Pro 80 which pushes my little 16.5' around quite nicely. The universal sonar does a good job at the front of the boat while leaving the heavy work to the gps/sonar at the console. I appreciate the lift assist as I'm a lazy guy.

As per Jerry, the head doesn't swing around when in 'momentary' mode and you don't have to keep your foot on the pedal when in 'constant-on' mode. It turns very quickly and precisely and is reasonable on batteries (when not driven at 100% speed).

As per using it at the back of the boat - well, I get pretty sour if there is an application for the trolling motor and I'm relegated to the back of the boat......

SS.

I've also owned both styles over the years and much prefer the cable steer models, but that's only my opinion. I find the PD's to be slow to react and to be perfectly honest, the constant noise they make everytime they turn drives me nuts, plus the fact that it's another drain on the battery everytime it's activated.

The foot control on the PD's also seems to be a constant problem too, at least with the MinnKota units, and this past summer on this board, there have been many complaints by members about the foot control not working properly.

I also don't like the set-up for raising & lowering the PD"s and much prefer the rope pulls on the cable models

My last cable steer.....MotorGuide......worked flawlessly for 7 years until I burned it up recentely because of my own foolishness. Oh well, that was one way to purchase a new unit :P

The cable units also have a "constant on" feature, same as PD's, which allow the motor to run without keeping your foot on the pedal.

I don't mean to put anything down, but we WERE asked for an opinion. :dunno:

I've had both and prefer the PD for my style of fishing and I agree with sinker the long cord is great to steer when at the back of the boat. I use my gas kicker to propel the boat and the Minnkota to steer using the auto pilot when trolling Erie for walleye it's great.

for those looking for a trolling motor that'll track a shore line... Motor guide has a unit digital something??... be prepared to spend $$$ though...

for those looking for a trolling motor that's not cable steer, but still steers quick, Minn Kota Terrova... again, be prepared to spend $$$

had both also, and put a PD with US auto and co pilot. Other then the misery to deploy it I prefer it to cable steer ten fold. ya the auto pilot is tough on lower setting with some chop but kick it up and it works just fine....co pilot is a god send as I used to get wicked back aches from the foot control

I had an Evinrude cable steer unit for 13 years, and loved it.....got so I never consciously had to steer......it became almost automatic. I now have a new Minnkota, which I'm not crazy about. To lower or raise it requires two hands and a bit of effort to get it seated and unseated...this has been better since I sprayed silicone on shaft, but stil is a pain. Terrible design! Also, the steering mechanism is way too sensitive causing you to oversteer constantly, requiring numerous minute adjustments to get on track. The only thing I like about this unit over the Evinrude is the continuous mode.

I have used both cable steer & PD, in rivers & lakes under ruff & windy conditions. I prefer the cable steer because it responds quicker & uses less juice. The down side to the cable steer for me is the sore foot from using it all day. The Co-pilot feature of the PD is nice if you fish alone.

When fishing the Detroit River for walleye with the PD I wanted to throw the damn thing overboard. Definitely like the cable steer for the river much better.

Only have a quick second here for a reply so......

I have a Minn Kota 55 lb. 54 inch power drive.

I'll never buy another one.

4 friends - same motor (different size shafts) - 4 blown foot controls, and one blown computer card.

Cable and Motorguide all the way for me next. (and my friends too)

Hookset.

Just purchased a very little used 70 pd Motor guide and it has the continous run feature.With a few adjustments with the screws on the foot control,you hardly ever need to use the foot control(cable) and when you do,it,s fast to correct your direction.Gave me more time to concentrate on the fishing aspect.

Again it all comes down to what you have used and feel comfortable with.

looks like ill be getting the maxum cable steer.was leaning that way until this weekend and a few guys from the lodge tournament were talking smack about the foot control and giving props to the pd.ive used my friends maxum 55 many times its great in calm water the only thing i dont like is when the juice is on constant and you try to hold or hover in wind.i found u have to keep your foot on the control and constantly adjust it.can u tighten the cables so thier less sensitive? as so u can take your foot off but still have it running and stay straight?p.s thanks for the feed back i love this site cheers and good fishing.