MONDAY SHOOTING REPORT

DMASSE

Hello again

On Monday we had a AL FLAHERTY employee shoot at my shooting club, We started off with 8 rounds of sporting clays, and most of the others decided to go and shoot rifles, mostly sighting in there dee and moose guns. Since I dont hunt I decided to upgrade my daughter from the 22 handgun to something with more power.

Off we went to the tactical handgun range, if your not familiar with this, its a always hot shooting range, 6 stand up targets, close range shooting, where you practise EPCICS.. anyway after a brief safety instruction and handling lesson we started to shoot the Ruger Blackhawk 9mm

Here is my daughter Katie shooting her first 9mm

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/dma...pg?t=1188907733

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/dma...pg?t=1188908315

In a weird kind of Norman Rockwell theme I was just excited to see her shooting and not being scared of the recoil

Next and after about 100 rounds of 9mm we broke out the GLOCK 22, its a 40 CAL Smith and Wesson

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/dma...pg?t=1188908336

alittle more recoil but she handled it perfect scoring a 12 out of 20 on her frst outing

I asked her if she was ok with the recoil and that her arm wasnt sore, she said to me whats next...

So I broke out the COLT 1911 WW1 american 45CAL, now this is one of the strongest handgun calibre that you can get. its recoil is like 3- 9mm shooting at once..... So I loaded just one shot in the chamber and let her try it first incase she dropped the gun and it fired again..

As she lined up the sight she asked me will it hurt, I told her just to relax her arms and tighten on her grip, squeeze the trigger when ready, BAM the gun goes off she hit the wood that is holding the target, shattering it into pieces, the gun recoil causes it to raise the pistol in the air, and my daughters face, and I will never forget this untill the day I die, her bright blue eyes looking at me saying WOW that was very SICK>> please can I shoot again.... so after about 50 rounds between the 2 of us we decided to shoot something alittle differnt we down sized to a Smith and Wesson 357 cal

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/dma...pg?t=1188909179

very cool she says but nothing like the 45.... gotta love a chick with a powerfull handgun in her hand LOL

So after about 300 rounds in total we ddecided that was enought and I wanted to get some sniper practise in, we shot the a SAKO 308, the AR15

Anyway I know people are thinking that teaching a young person or just shooting handguns are bad, but its a sport like anything else, and done right, with respect and saftey it a very rewarding feeling, plus my daughter told me that I just moved up 15 points on the COOL DAD metor, and justthe fact that she wants to go out agin it the best thing of all

Thanks

DAVE

Dave

Way to go Katie. That's the kind of Monday morning shooting report I like. I'd like to have you living next door to me. Is there any chance of a CCW permit becoming available to you any time soon? It helps even the odds against bad guys.

and isn't the AR-15 a sweet weapon? I love it. Don't have one, but have experience with it.

Edited by TennesseeGuy

She is already asked to goto another shoot for her b-day next sunday. She also asked me to get her apprentince licence...

Ya the ar15 is a cool gun but still my fav is a Styre 50cal, now that is a cool gun

here is a pic from the club awhile back

50 cal STYRE

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/dma...pg?t=1188912923

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/dma...pg?t=1188912979

AR15 308

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/dma...pg?t=1188913002

Dave

She is already asked to goto another shoot for her b-day next sunday. She also asked me to get her apprentince licence...

Ya the ar15 is a cool gun but still my fav is a Styre 50cal, now that is a cool gun

here is a pic from the club awhile back

50 cal STYRE

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/dma...pg?t=1188912923

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/dma...pg?t=1188912979

AR15 308

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/dma...pg?t=1188913002

NOW IM SPORTN WOOD!!

Dave

Guest gbfisher

Nice to have the younger generation have a shot at something that is falling to the wayside. I believe lots more young people should at least try shooting once in their life, be it hand guns or just plinking with the 22. It's nice to be able to show them what it was like when you were growing up. It is not an easy thing to get into thats for sure. Keep her at it if you can. You'll have to pass them down one day!!!

Shooting is fun with Whizbang!!! :thumbsup_anim:

I'm not fan of any type of fire arm. I don't think I'll ever fire a gun in my life time. They scare the hell out of me, growing up in neighborhood and hearing gun fire almost every week. I used to work as security in an airport and I have seen riffle bullets... and knowing how long those things are and trying to imagine one of those in me terrifies me.

yikes.

I stick to fishing.

:lol:

You should staple those pics up around every available telephone pole in the neighborhood and save yourself ALOT of grief in the upcoming teenage years. She'll wonder why she doesnt have a date to the prom........but at least youll be able to sleep tight LOL!

Im by no means a gun expert. But my friends have taken me to shoot some of theirs and it is a neat feeling to shoot a hand gun. Ive shot that Glock 9mm and it shaved a layer of skin off the top of my thumb when the housing kicked back. Needless to say i had a few choice words for my idiot friends who didnt warn me of that possibility.

Thats the reason I won't touch a gun. You have to make sure you take ever caution when handling a fire arm. One little mishap can be very seriuos injuries. A risk I won't take.

;)

A paintball Gun is as far as I'll go but even then that hurts.

Ya I'd say you are a pretty cool Dad! I have always wanted to shoot (target practice) but was always told I couldn't cuz I was a girl. Nice to see that you are introducing Katie to a variety of sports. If she's interested in it...why not.

But because I am a Mom I have to say this....keep those guns out of your home and in a place where only you have access to them. I know you likely have that covered already, but boys can be so convincing to a young girl's heart. :)

Very Cool indeed. I wanted to join a gun club many many years ago, and get myself a 45 semi automatic, but both were out of my price range at the time, in fact they still are :( . But I am impressed that you have taken the time to give your daughter the opportunity to learn the safety and respect for them. Like you said, when done properly it is a sport like all the others.

Maureen

I just got a little chipmunk .22 for my 6 year old daughter and she comes shooting with me once a week. When she is a few years older she'll move up to handgun.

Why anyone would start handgunning on anything bigger than a .22 is beyond me though. Good on dmasse for starting her with the .22, learn how to shoot with rimfire then move up to centerfire.

cd.

Maureen and Nancy (chrome hen)

Maureen you are more than welcome to come to my club to shoot, I have a small arsenal when at the club, All you would have to do Is show up and shoot,

Nancy, I have invited Ken on multiple occasions, you are always to come with me, your son as well, with your other son being a cop you can shoot the GLOCK 22 like him..LOL

We dont store the guns at the house, or at the store, They are in the main safe at the club...

If either of you up to it you can shoot the 50cal NOW thats a gun.... At $9.00 a shot you will have to liomit yuour shooting LOL

Dave

When I was back in Cub Scouts (I think around 1975 or 1976), we took a trip to the local gun club. I was about 7 years old at the time. I remember shooting one...didn't like it...hated it actually, and have not wanted to pick one up since....LOL. Who the heck takes a bunch of 7 year olds to a gun club?? haha.

I have nothing against shooting for sport or hunting...in fact, I love hearing my older brother's hunting stories. I was just thinking back..and shaking my head...and thinking I'd never let my 7 year old head off to a gun club with a bunch of other 7 year olds and only 2 or 3 adults for supervision...LOL. Now, in a controlled environment, with one on one instruction...that's a different story.

I was 7 when I got my first .22 rifle, a Stevens singleshot that had been the first gun for about 8 family members. It stayed in the unlocked gun cabinet at my grandfather's house. We didn't even think about touching anything in there without having an adult with us. A couple of years later I was allowed to carry it alone. At 12 I'd take it and my dog along with me on my almost nightly hunt.

A paintball Gun is as far as I'll go but even then that hurts.

I wont let my son go paintballing but I'll let my son shoot a 22.

WHY?

cause in paintballing, youre teaching and rewarding kids to shoot OTHER PEOPLE, your gun is a weapon.

target shooting and hunting, you teach your kid to not point a firearm at people and to eat what you kill, your gun is a tool.

my sons only 8 months old, so I guess I still got a few more years