VHF. Need some input.

Tybo

Paul do yourself a favor - get a fixed mount VHF

I have buddies with handhelds, yes they work, but range is limited, batteries wear out (you cant talk while the batt. is charging)

Lowrance makes one heckuva VHF & can be had at LB's for $120-30? if the 8' antenna is whats stopping you, then get a 3' sailboat antena - thats what i did for my boat - working like a top

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/LVR-850.asp

Your cell phone gets better range than a hand help. Get a hardmount the time you are going to need it is when the atmospheric conditions are the worst for transmitting and recieving. The 8ft whip can be laid flat until you need it using a swivel mount bracket.

Art

Hey Tybo.

For all great lakes you should have a vhf.

I use the Atlantis 250.

There are pro's with a hand held cause you can move it anywhere you want and does not need a fix mounting ant.

Batteries Ok and last a while. Even with a fixed unit, if your batteries are dead you are dead in the water.

Bad thing is limited range for chatting and hearing people. 5-10k is what I have found.

You never have to worry about contacting the coastguard for help as they are always listening.

If I had the choice again, I would buy a fixed mount. Just for more range to chat. 25w compared to 5w

Hope that helps

After a few years with a handheld I finally put in a fixed mount. The handheld would receive but I never could contact anyone due to limited range.

I bought the Lowrance model from LeBarons and it's great.

Take a look at BPS online too. The are throwing in an antenna if you buy an VHS.

I still use the handheld when I'm out in another boat or at the hunt camp.

I have a fixed mount for mine as well..A 17 foot aluminum. Bought it for the times on Lake O. I considered mounting the antenna but really didn't want it in the way for all the other times using the boat for other types of fishing and skiing and stuff. I have the swivel mount for the antenna but I just take the radio and antenna with me when I go on Lake O and sit the antenna on the floor up on the bow and hold it in place with something heavy on the base. Works great and then I just take it out when I get back and it's not in the way when I take the boat to ther places..Just a thought. I know that Shakespere now makes a small 3 foot fibreglass antenna which wouldn't take up much room at all and you would still get excellent reception and range.

I use one of those booster packs and just clamp the booster cables onto the radio wire leads and your good to go and have the battery pack on board in case you need it as well.

I do think you will be much happier with the hard mount radios though especially on the big lakes.

Hey Paul,

I was considering a hand held as well and was talked into a fixed mount. Glad I did. A little extra effort for installation is a small price to pay for the reception and clarity. I can also vouch for the Lowrance unit ($85US from boatfix.com). The Lowrance unit can be wired into a NMEA 0183 or 2000 Lowrance GPS to provide DSC calling. This allows you to transmit your location digitally just by keying up. You can also DSC call your buddies (if equipped) and they see your location on thier GPS. Handy for tracking down a buddy if he's onto the fish. Really nice radio for the money. Add an antenna and you're still around the same price as a hand held.

-Brian

I have a hand held unit, the only thing I use it for is to check the weather before leaving the driveway. I purchased my fixed mount radio at the boat show from West Marine. I worked with them to get me the best antenna for my 15 ft tinnie. I ended up with a 4ft double whip (?) by shakespeare. I mounted it on the corner at the rear. When not in use it folds flat against the gunwhale.

The radio is DSC compatible and will connect to my Lowrance GPS. In order to make this work you will require a MMSI (Mobile Marine Service Identities), this is free from Industry Canada. Go to this site and downlowd the application

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/mcts-sctm/docs/mmsi/MMSI_e.htm

You will also be required to have a radio operators licence (no station licence required). Check with the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron as to when and where their next classes will be held.

John

if you are only going to use it in one boat then a fixed mount unit with antenna is the best way to go

but if you want to use it in many different boats or locations then a good "good" handheld is the way to go you can hook them up to external antennas and you can buy amplifiers for them to make them just as good as any fixed mounted unit

what terry said

the more you spend the better features, get something that will scan more then 2 channels if you are useing it to gain info. i have a uniden hand held.

you really should have one of any kind. the coast guard closed port d when they were towing a disabled boat and anounced it on 16. i would have hated to see the fine i would have got if i didn't have a radio

http://radioworld.ca/

their showroom is on Steeles.... more radios then you can shake a stick at!

Gerritt.

Good prices as well. They seemed to be my go to place for electronic devices. I've bought my GPS, a fishfinder and my VHF radio from them as they had the best prices everytime I was shopping. I've got a Uniden VHF handheld (I think it's this model) and so for so good but haven't used it that much. I did also take the course and got my licence this spring. I'd consider a unit with the DSC system on it as well and hook it up with your gps if you have one on board as Mr JR suggested. For bang for your dollar you might be better with a fixed mount if you have the room for it.