Do I have a serious problem?

Anatz

Boner material for me is fast currents, clear water and dancing chrome.. ^_^ Only time we talk about other stuff is when we're actually out on the water.

Let's get together sometime! Fishing in the harbor should pick up as the summer progresses..

cheers

HD

Quite the invitation.

I always wondered if that was a Zara Spook in your pocket or if you were just happy to see me?

I got caught for skipping school two afternoons in a row this past winter. When asked by the VP where I was I decided to play the truth card, "The steelhead were biting."

Turns out the guy loved steelhead fishing and wanted to know all about it, the whole episode was 'forgotten about' and I was told to fish on my own time.

Admitting your addiction is the first step LOL. I know as a reforming drunk (I am not an alcoholic they HAVE to waste vauable fishing time at those meetings) that I have an addictive personality. I prove this to myself almost weekly when I find myself at a tackle or fishing store purchasing yet another piece of gear that will give me that little edge. A new fishing store opened right around the block from parents place this week. I was over visiting my mom this afternoon so I stopped in to see, what was going on in the new store, his prices were high but he is the only game in town. I was just looking but had to buy some sinkers. I think I ruined his day when I told him too bad I had not seen his store on Tuesday, because I went into a tackle shop in another town just to purchase 10 bucks worth of salmon eggs.... I left 72.50 poorer after I snapped up a set of duplicate spoons and some Raven mainline for my first Salmon trip of the year in the next week or two....

Basically I feel your pain my friend

Edited by Canuck2fan

It`s not how big your worm is but how you wiggle it.

LOL - well...hate to spear ya where it hurts...it's both!

But as for your passion for fishing...absolutely go for it...but do make time for your schooling. Have you read the thread on HOLIDAYS...be smart about your future and go for as many vac days as you can in your career cuz you are hooked to fishing. lol

All the best to you in your studies.

Welcome to the fishaholics club! :Gonefishing: Actually, I think OFC is really just a cover for real fishaholics to get help when they need it. And the "OFC Swills"... you guessed it, fishaholics meetings! lol Sorry TJ, I couldn't resist :P

I remember skipping classes in high school when the steelhead were on. I will never forget the day I walked into school just after skipping math... I was wearing waders and a vest with rod in hand leaving mud and water on the floor behind me in the main hallway as I tried to sneak to my locker. Well, wouldn't ya know it, my math teacher walked around the corner and caught me red handed just before I got to my locker! He was a big guy with a bad temper, and I witnessed him give a back hander to a students head once, but lucky for me he was in so much shock, that he never said a word.

Your education is very important. Don't make the same mistake I made. I was accepted into Sheridan College for a 4 year program in graphics design when computers for graphics design were new (yes, I'm getting old :blush: ). I chose not to go to school and fish more, then spent many years working my tail off, and still am. Not going to school for what I really enjoyed was the biggest mistake I ever made. You will have lots of time for fishing, don't worry. Go to school and study!

If you are creative, you may be able to combine your work in graphics design with fishing, like working for a fishing publication :D

Good fishing!

Aaron

I was born to be a sex machine,but it never panned out. HAHAHA

Once bass season closes you have from November to Late June every year to practice Brian, don't give up on your dream.

Anatz - like others have said, if you are addicted to something, fishing is a great addiction to have.

I spend thousands every year to drive 25 hours one way to get on a plane and fly to an outpost for a week with my son. We collect more lures and tackle all winter and end using weedless Johnson Silver Minnows. I have to tell the border cossing folks I have 2 cartons of cigarettes and I have 4 cases of beer flown to the cabin. Holy crap do I have issues! http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...si&img=3107[/img]

Totally agree with Aaron. You'll never know how many opportunities you could've had if only you tried harder in class.

And if you do skip class...Don't get your pic plastered in the newspapers like I did in 1st year

star-mikey2.jpg

10-28-20045.jpg

I didn't skip class (I never have...honest) but convincing my parents that I went after-class was another thing.

All I can say is...Multi-piece rods rock for concealability and portability

For some reason, fishing is always on my mind. Even when I go out with friends, I always end up brining the topic of fishing. And in addition to that, all the girls I talk to ask me how was my day and every time I talk to them I usually tell them I went fishing. Just 2 days ago I couldn't sleep due to the fact that I was going to visit Bass Pro Shop the next day. I don't know whats wrong with me, I just need to fish, it's probably as bad as a chronic smoker who needs a smoke. I even plan on fishing everyday after school when I start college this fall and my college is right near the lake front. Is there like a place to go just like for alcoholics. I need serious help. I'm even visiting this site every 2 minutes to see if someone posted a new report. The worst thing about my situation is, I don't drive and the only place I'm limited to travel for a limited amount of time is at Grenadier Pond. This Sunday is suppose to be great weather and I'm going to chill with a couple of friends @ Toronto Island and I'm just anxious to fish... I need some counseling. I'm pretty sure I'm more addicted than anyone here. Ah.. one day I just want to have a place of my own in front of lake -________-.

I think you have found that palce. I think you however should start a group called fishaholics instead of aa. Just kidding. I'm 30 years old and still cant sleep the night before a tournament. I love it.

When you find that moment in your life when you start bringing fish home and introduce them to your parents, walk to your bedroom and close the door with fish in hand ... then you got a problem. I lived at the cottage throughout the summers in grade school, and the fishing rod was my 3rd arm. Still is. Keep up with the studies, because you will find it will get you the boat and tackle, and your vacations to use it.

Yep, done the newspaper thing.

Back in like grade 6 I went to the sportsman show and caught the biggest trout in the tank, (you know the one huge one that was always swimming around), and got my picture taken with a guy from a fishing show who I have no forgotten the name of.

As per previous advice make sure you find a girl who is as passionate about fishing/outdoors as you are :blahblah1: and as if you have not been told FINISH SCHOOL, get a career and make your first major purchase a floating vessel that will "help" your addiction. By the way we are all addicted why do you think we come too this site! :thumbsup_anim:

WELCOME TO MY WORLD !!!!!!! now you know how i feel,fishing is always on my mind its all i think about all day long,and trust me young man it will never go away,i have chosen not to buy a house so i can keep buying new boats,it never ends i have spent prob close to 100,000 dollars on fishing my whole life im always buying fishing lures even if i dont need it, it will only get worse as you get older...just try to keep learning as much as you can,and never give up and of corse think like a fish.....and get as much info as you can and do your fishing homework...like planning out your next fishing trip,what lures,what species,what depth,what lake trolling or casting....just always kep doing all those things and you will just keep getting better and better all the time....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

For god's sakes make sure you tell every girl that you go out with how important fishing is to you and try to find a girl who likes it as much as you do. Myself and two of my friends all ended up divorced and in all of the complaints against us our love of fishing was cited as grounds.

Someone should have told me this before I got married! LOL

Wait till you have wheels and try different spots, then you will be more addicted.

Try and keep that passion for fishing the rest of your life.

Women will come and go.

I was born to be a sex machine,but it never panned out. HAHAHA

I remember reading this in the Sault Star.

Confessions of a 'problem angler'

Sault Star (ON)

Sat 03 Mar 2007

Page: E1

Section: Weekender

Byline:

Source:

Do you log every waking hour longing to cast, feel the hard strike and bring in that prize catch? If so, you might just have a 'reel' angling addiction. In the following piece, outdoor writer James Smedley does some deep self-analysis. It's clear he's hooked

Why is it the more we fish the more we want to fish. Spring, summer, winter or fall, for just about any species under the sun, it does not seem to matter how much fishing we do it never seems to quench that long angling thirst. I count myself among those with an all-consuming preoccupation with fishing. And I'm not the only one out there. You know who you are. Sensible, intelligent men and women whose compulsion to angle supersedes all other responsibilities and activities. Although this is the norm for many anglers, the question remains, is it normal and more pointedly, is it a problem?

In searching for answers I came across the Alcoholics Anonymous website. AA asks a series of 12 questions to help us determine if our drinking is a problem. Answering yes to any four of the 12 questions indicates a problem drinker. I took the liberty of adapting these questions to apply to anglers by simply replacing the word "drinking" with "fishing."

If you've ever suspected that you might have a problem controlling your fishing, answer the following questions honestly. If you are like me, or the like-minded anglers I know, I think you'll find some disturbing parallels. Answer yes to four or more of the following questions and you could fit the profile of a problem angler.

1. Have you ever decided to stop fishing for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

Yes, we've set up a schedule without angling but next thing you know we're on the lake at the first opportunity. A spell of warm weather, the rumour of a walleye bite, steelhead rushing up the rivers; there's never a shortage of things to trigger a fishing trip.

2 Do you wish people would mind their own business about your fishing, stop telling you what to do?

Yes, there is just so much angling to do, so many new techniques and products to try it's overwhelming. Being told to slow down or that you've fished enough seems so ridiculous it's infuriating.

3. Have you ever switched from one kind of fishing to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting intoxicated?

Yes, we've gone from ice fishing walleye to fly fishing trout. But you name it, even fishing perch from a dock becomes an all- consuming practice that we take extremely seriously and become totally intoxicated by the process.

4. Have you had to have an eye-opener upon awakening during the past year?

Oh yes, just to get going, or worse, to stop the shaking, we've all tip toed down to the dock for a few casts and the next thing we know we're in the boat and gone for the day.

5. Do you envy people who can fish without getting into trouble?

At one time or another, most of us have wondered why we were not like most people, who really can take it or leave it. We wonder where others find the strength to stop fishing when they said they would. We wonder how other people can sleep in on weekends and actually make it home off the lake in time for supper.

6. Have you had health problems connected with fishing during the past year?

We tell ourselves we're getting fresh air and exercise but we've all experienced hair twisted in knots from wind, sunburn, heat stroke, frostbite, puncture wounds from walleye, abrasions from pike and ugly wounds from fish hooks and filet knives. Let's not forget near starvation and dehydration from being too busy fishing to properly nourish ourselves.

7. Has your fishing caused trouble at home?

Yes, family time is routinely sacrificed for fishing. We try to make up for it by taking the family fishing. Perhaps the saddest commentary is our desire to see every member of our family hooked too.

8. Do you ever try to get extra fishing in on an outing because you do not get enough?

Just about every time we fish it happens. We can't stand the kind of angler who wants to quit early. We drop them off and head back out ourselves. No matter the weather or the bite, we scramble to get in those few extra casts or jigs so we can leave the lake with an appropriate level of fulfilment. It never seems to happen. Getting enough is always hard.

9. Do you tell yourself you can stop fishing any time you want to, even though you keep going fishing when you don't mean to?

Sure, we'll plan on stopping at a particular time and then the trout start hitting dry flies, or we find a mid-lake hump loaded with walleye, or bass start rising for top water lures or suspended lake trout show up on the Vexilar. If the fish are biting we can't leave. If they aren't biting we have to try every spot and every presentation we can think of to make them bite. Most of us have kidded ourselves into thinking that we fish because we want to, but once we start to fish, we can't stop.

10. Have you missed days of work or school because of fishing?

Does a jig and minnow catch walleye? Do brook trout love spinners? Of course! Many of us admit that we have called in sick many times when we were really healthy and fishing.

11. Do you have blackouts?

Yes. Hours of fishing euphoria slide into one block of time that slips by imperceptibly and the next thing we know hours or even days are gone.

12. Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not fish?

Those of us deeply entrenched in angling are so far gone we can't even imagine life without fishing.

So there we have it. Answering yes to four or more of these questions could mean you are a problem angler. However the fundamental question remains, is fishing a serious problem?

Without fishing most of our lives would be impacted by a serious void that might be filled by things much more harmful than fishing. Stuff like television, gambling or even drinking.

If fishing makes us happy, keeps us focused and motivates us to enjoy the outdoors, just how serious of a problem is it?

Even if angling can be construed as a bad thing, a person's problems could be much worse. But then again, maybe that's just the fish talking.

© 2007 Osprey Media Group Inc. All rights reserved

Oh, and just to add to the ditching school topic.....

When i was in high school I convinced a buddy to go for some hard-water speckle action.... we ditched class and headed out only to have our teacher (who was also skipping school) show up and start drilling holes beside us. :D

When I was 18 or so, with the exception of big rain, I fished EVERYDAY for 8+ hours for a couple of months. Near the end of those 2 months I was dreaming of working my rod and reel, riding the bus to fishing and riding my bike to fishing. over and over and over. It was hell, I decided to cut out fishing cold turkey and my sleep eventually returned. I am pretty sure a psychiatrist would have either medicated me or told me to stop fishing.

On my deathbed I will still remember fishing myself sick and be somewhat proud of it.

I guess too much of anything is bad.

Stuntman