Alternate Route North to Toronto

Rich Clemens

In a few weeks, we'll be heading to the French and I'm looking for an alternate route route north. We typically leave home around 2:00pm on Friday and hit the GTA around 7:30pm / 8:00pm. We like to stay over around Barrie, or just a little north of there, and finish the trip Saturday. Last time, the 407 (ETR) was backed up around the area of the airport and the backup continued all the way to Barrie ... or just about that far. All that traffic, drivers changing lanes all over the place, I got a little nervous with 20+ feet of boat behind me.

I'm looking for another side-route that may not be as busy. We used to get off at Bronte (Rt. 25) and zig-zag our way to Rt. 9 and shoot straight over to New Market. Another option may be Rt. 10 north from the ETR to pick up Rt 9. We use to find a little motel along the road to spend the night.

Just curious as to how busy these other roads are ... north of Toronto. Route 25, Route 3, and Route 10 may be options. Or - are these just as bust as the major routes ? Don't mind staying in a rinky-dink motel for one night in this area ... if there are any in those parts.

Thanks folks.

Quite frankly, you shouldn't have a problem with traffic at that time of the year at that hour... If you were coming through at 5 PM on a friday in the summer, then I would suggest an alternate... but really, it shouldn't be bad at all and the #400 is 3 lane highway... #27 is ok, but it is single lane and you really can't exceed 80km (50mph). If you get some volume, construction, accident or some ol fart driving 60km then you find it'll set you back a lot more the the 400!!

Check for traffic reports on 680 AM radio as you approach the big city... another alternate could be Weston Rd. but as I said, 400 should be all right!

Good luck

I can probably help you, but I know road names, not so much Rt. numbers I will look up on my map and get back to you. I wonder though if maybe you came up last on a long weekend, that would account for that amount of traffic? I can give you a nice route right into Barrie with very little traffic most of the time.

Maureen

If you are coming up here in a few weeks I asume you are planning your trip after Labour Day?

At that time of year the weekend holiday traffic will not be as heavy or as crazy. Take the 407 toll hwy (ETR) in Burlington and take it all the way to the 400 exit. It will cost you about $18 or so but well worth the cost. Your time from Burlington to Orillia will be about 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on how fast you drive.

I have taken the back roads on several occasions and it seemed to take forever to get there.

Bass Pro Shop is on the 400 just after you enter from the 407 toll hwy. Just on the right at Bass Pro Dr. exit.

Have a good trip and have fun fishing.

Thanks folks. We'd be coming through the night of September 14 ... about the same time we did two years ago, when things really got backed up. Both the 407 and 400 were inching along. I've been using the 407 for a few years now .. .haven't yet received a notice in the mail for the toll, but know a couple others from the states who have. Someday .. they'll find me. Ah yes ... I see Bass Pro each time passing through.

Appreciate all the info.

I'd rather give up my best fishing spots than give up my secret Hwy. 400 alternatives.

That being said, Hwy. 27 is probably the most straighfoward and least hectic run for those who don't have the stomach to battle the Toronto traffic (although you will miss Bass Pro Shops unless you want to double back).

Take 407 to 427 north, exit at Hwy. 7, turn right.

Hwy. 27 is your next MAJOR intersection where you will turn left and go North.

Hwy. 27 will run you right into Barrie (takes an hour or so from picking up Hwy. 27).

Great route when I want to take it easy and avoid the clowns on the 400.

Re: 407 fees... most out of province vehicles are not charged for using the 407, only us in Ontario are bearing those costs! That being said, I believe that the consortium of thieves that runs the 407 have begun building relationships with other provinces and states to allow them to charge out of province drivers their ridiculous fees for using the highway.

As others have stated, baring any real accident on the 407 or 400, you should be fine and rather un-eventful coming through the city.

HH

Re: 407 fees... most out of province vehicles are not charged for using the 407, only us in Ontario are bearing those costs! That being said, I believe that the consortium of thieves that runs the 407 have begun building relationships with other provinces and states to allow them to charge out of province drivers their ridiculous fees for using the highway.

As others have stated, baring any real accident on the 407 or 400, you should be fine and rather un-eventful coming through the city.

HH

HH- I am from the States and have been being billed and paid the #407 tolls for many years now.Can't understand how they can charge and get such prices but in the long run up to the North, it pays in time saved..But sometimes during the rush hours, the traffic is pretty slow and have found it at times backed up horribly.