Go home lake report

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Went fishing at Go-Home Lake. Got there and went to my big pike location. Not even a sniff. Water temperature was 72 degrees and it was really cold! Caught a few puny smallies and a decent 2 1/2 lber.

Marked fish in 50-60 feet of water. We were going to try drop shooting but decided to go get some fast and easy fish.

We worked a few shoals with only a few puke smallies to show. Went to my spot and immediately we had a double header on. Mark with a 2lber and me with a 1 lber.After that I nailed at least another 6, one to two lb smallies in about 15 mintues.

We were going to drag a 15 foot flat near which I have had luck, but we decided to go for some largies.

Went to my bass spot but the area has been cleaned up. No more wood on bottom....Seen a large pike follow. Followed twice on Mark's Rapala but did not commit. Mark seen a big LM bass sitting in 5 feet of water that got spooked by the boat's motor.

After that I was working a fallen tree and WHAM! Something hit like a ton of bricks and you can really feel it with the Power pro. A decent pike. 30 inches on a jig and pig. Not what I was after but I'll take it.Fought it on the BPS musky rod. Garbage fight. Though it did bull dog nicely when it got to the boat.

Gotta get another baitcasting combo!

Gohomenew003.jpg

I lost the blue/black skirt and replaced it with a spare black and red skirt I have handy.

Worked a few fallen trees I could see with the jig and pig. I picked up another 1 lb LM bass. A 1/4 lb smallie and lost 2 small LM bass.I have a new techchnique for working wood, so I am happy. Just gotta tune it. Though sometimes I wonder if the tube jig is better than the Jig and Pig. I have had alot more luck working fallen trees with tubes....

Went to our next hole and nothing. They had removed a marker which I use to mark the place. There was a really fresh weedline. We jigged for pickeral with no luck. Tried the waterfalls with only a few puke smallies to show.

MNR came to pay us a visit. Did his thing and left.

Me and Mark were thinking... When we go fishing, we always fish the same spots on the same lakes. We decided to do some exploring.

We found a big shallow flat with lily pads and picked up a few largies here and there.

Seen a few isolated lily pads on the edge of deep water. Worked one particular spot and a decent largie come out from underneath and slams my bait!Big fish of the day.

Gohomenew004.jpg

Caught ALOT of smallies with a few smallies in the 2 1/2 lb range. Caught 4 pike(one decent), Quite a few largies with one decent one. Seen some decent follows. Got bit off a few times. No monsters but we had fun nonetheless.

Hope you enjoyed the report!

hey jb...

great post...

one of my favorite lakes...

i should have called to hook up, cuz i was cruising around that area deciding where to go....

decided on twelve mile bay and it wasn't that great...

only a couple of small smallmouth of sunken rock islands...

anyway..

some other time..

...nomad....

Guest Johnny Bass

Really? I was looking at a topo map for twelve mile bay and it looks really nice at the mouth. I want to give it a try some day.

Hey Ohio. I dont know what it is but when I work a big tube in fallen trees, either 1/4 ounce or 3/8, I smash alot of fish. When I use a jig and pig I dont get as many hits. Maybe its the smaller profile and it is easier to inhale??But I was reading a fishing article on some new mini jigs that seem to be producing really well..

Maybe its just a confidence thing. There was this place I wanted to try the jig and pig but we didn't have enough time to get there...I havent given up on them just yet!

I used to think tubes and spinnerbaits couldn't catch fish.LOL

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks guys. Ya Alex. The big largies weren't in their summer patterns. They are still deep.We were going to try drop shooting but were having too much fun catching the 1-2 lbers and working wood.

Hopefully next time. I want to try this drop shooting thing!Although it is not that new to me. I have been drop shooting for years but with live worms......

Johnny first time I saw a tube lure I wasn`t really interested although I had used the old tube worms with some success, I think Knight tackle made them. I use a lot of small stuff at times, 1/8 th and even 1/16th ounce jigs, the small catches all thing. Since a lot of my fishing was tournaments I was looking for 5 keepers first, the big ones will take small stuff a 12-13 incher might not be eager to take a bigger lure.

Took me a while to get comfortable with the spinnerbaits also, LOL my brother Mike has out fished me some days using the in-line spinners like a Mepps or Rooster tail. You just never know what the hot lure of the day will be. Most of the time I throw 3 1/2 inch tubes, usually much more inclined to go smaller than larger.

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks again guys.

Ohio, I m going to BPS soon and I will get smaller jig and pigs and experiment with more colours. So far all I have used is black and blue. I have grey/black/red, black/red, and a few others but no rattles. I have an orange/brown one with a huge jig head filled with rattles. I think its called the load mouth.

So look for my next report. Hopefully there will be some bigguns!

Johnny I used the Bitsy Bug jigs often, the Bitsy Bug flip has a better hook, but also some small hair jigs that are probably more of a walleye jig than bass jig, the problem with them is the hook, most have a light wire hook(aberdeen) and around cover care is needed, the hook will straighten on a snag, but also on bigger bass if you try to horse them away from the cover.

Black and Blue is a good color, my buddies son that fishes tournaments here uses that color all the time. I mixed it up more but used black and blue also. Browns and greens, some with orange mixed in, all black, even all white, the baitfish thing. Had some real good days throwing a 1/8 ounce Roadrunner with a small pork frog or grub.

LOL, I fished Lake Chautaqua in New York 3 times, 2 day tournaments and couldn`t catch a bass, couldn`t land the muskies I hooked. Hooked one on a 1/8 ounce spinnerbait with a 2 inch grub trailer, 40 plus inch fish 10# test line. The next day hooked a bigger ski that went airborne, right next to my partner in the back of the boat. I don`t see him often, but he still calls me "not for long" that is what I said when he saw me hook both skis, you got a big ski! "not for long".

4 time was a charm on that lake for me, I caught bass fishing the wrong side of the boat, away from shore pulling tubes up the deep edge. LOL I was proud of my 12 pounds, until the weigh in, my buddies kid and his partner weighed in like 24 pounds, one was a 7.2 smallie. Day 2 was worse.LOL Always fun though!