Tipping a Charter

Chugger

Hey Guys,

So we're going out on a Charter on the weekend, and I'd like to know what the standard level of tipping is on one of these things. I realise that it's based on the level of service you recieve, but there has to be something to base it on. All input is appreciated.

thanks,

-Graeme

IMO, you don't tip business owners, you tip their staff. I would base the tip on the quality of service you rec'd. If you go to a restaurant, and are happy with the meal and service, you wouldn't tip the owner because the waiter was good, the meal was good, and the dishes were clean. A business owners tip is the repeat business and referrals.

Edited by Tackle Buster

If the Captain and Mate works his ass off to catch you fish and cleans your catch at the end of day and like me even packing in zip lock bags and placeing your fish on ice ...its all up to you if you tip or not 90% of my clients tip witch is split between me and my mate ....there are lots of charter boats that just take you for a ride and if theyare supplieing beer and food im sure your going for a boat ride not a true fishing charter ...let us all no how your addventure turns out ..Good Luck Enjoy Your Day ....Fishmaster

Thanks for all the great responses guys. Roy, I like that idea, hell it's a bachelor party and i don't imagine any of the boys will want to be taking the fish to the entertainment after the trip....give this dude all the fish, Who knows. I guess it all depends on him getting us into a good amount of fish.

thanks,

-Graeme

We went out with a charter who owns and operates his own boat, so all money is going to him and I tipped $50 for five guys at the end of a full day charter. In saying that I have been out with this guy 3 times he is $700 for a full day charter and he works his tail off to put fish in the boat. The tip to me is a way of letting him know you are happy with the service he provided.

The Captain of the boat is paid thru the fees he charges so he knows what he need to make a profit so I exclude him from the tip. The first mate is usually working the boat for minimum wage and relies on the tips to make up for getting $45.00 from the Captain for an 8 hour day.

The Mate that works hard to get lines out, works the baits effectively, cleans and bags the catch and tells stories to make the fishless times easier to bare is the one that gets a decent tip. The tip is usually 10 % of the chartered trip if he has done a good job and you might be back next year. If you know you want to be back the next year and the mate has made a good impression and you want a trip during prime time then up to 20% is not unusual. On the charters that I have been on over the years the first mate and the Captain have both been happy with the people I bring and every year try to give us better service than the previous year. On a return trip to the Captain we usually bring a small gift like a bottle of wine or a talisman for the boat. One Captain we have been fishing with still charges us 2003 prices because he enjoys the fishing trip with our group and his Mate (son) takes off work to be the Mate on the boat.

Art

On my deep sea charters, we tip the deck hand 15% of the cost of the trip... if he's a good deck hand. That means there should be plenty of live bait, he should keep the fish picked up off the deck and put on ice, he should help unhook fish, and untangle lines. He should also be cheerful... if he's lazy and abusive, he don't get squat!!!... but if he's a good deckhand he'll get $225 cash for a 12hr. days work, plus he'll make 30 cents a pound on the people that want him to clean their fish... that's the weight of the uncleaned fish, adds up to $90 for 300 lbs. of fish... about $315 cash for a long days work.

The charter owner is not working hard for a tip, he/she is working hard for repeat business and word of mouth or internet business.

I'm with Pete on this one. The owner is working for a set rate and he is making money(usually good money) or would not be in the business. I would tip his mates as they are probably working for minimum wage and working hard most days for it. I would expect that for the money paid for the day the captian or owner should be working hard to put you on fish at every moment.

When you have a great day on the water you'll tell a few people, when you have a bad trip with little results or energy put into it you'll tell everyone you see and and bad travels alot faster then good news.

Now with all that being said my hat goes off to those in the business. I've have had many tough days on the water and was thinking how it would feel to be a guide and the pressure you guys must feel daily to produce. I personally couldn't do it, I feel bad enough when I take friends out fishing for a day and we can't catch anything.