My Northern Ontario Vacation Part 1&2 in the same thread

Mike the Pike

This year the wife and I chose to go to Northern Ontario to do some camping at Samuel de Champlain Provincial Park just 11 minutes drive North of Mattawa Ontario.At the same time it was a visit to my Mom's 20 minutes away in Bonfield.We arrived with another couple Michel and Rosa and their 2 Daughters on Saturday August 4th after a 6 1/2 hour drive.

130741.JPG

My week was almost perfect the weather was most pleasant 7 days of sunshine and one thunderstorm during the night.

This Park is now by far the best campsite I have ever visited and I highly recommend it to anyone.

A couple of mishaps but nothing major.

One Morning we had to bring my son Ryan to the Hospital because he woke up in the tent with the krupe cough oddly this is what he sometimes gets in the winter not summer.Pics later.

We were supposed to leave the following Saturday but we liked it so much we booked another night and we came home yesterday sunday.

On the last saturday evening I could not get the kids to go fishing so I jumped in my 12 foot tinny and away I went.

All was going well I lost a nice sized fish and was determined to get another.Now my 12 foot is just fine for where I was but I should have been more carefull.

I was 3kms up the Amable Du Fond River .As I was trolling I was changing lures while moving slowly I snapped on a blue Rapala Husky jerk and all of a sudden I lost my grip on the tiller handle which went far left I then rolled backwards out the boat but I did not have the kill switch wrapped around my wrist.Now I am in the water the boat is sideways filling up with water motor running fast coming right at me so I quickly grap the gunwale of the boat reach for the kill switch and stop the motor as I do this the boat flips upside down.

Now at this point I can't believe I just flipped my boat of course I was wearing my lifejacket .

For 10 seconds I am stairing at my capsized boat in SHOCK :blink:

I calm down and I start thinking of all the stuff I may no longer have.

As I am swimming over to the boat I see my Cotten cordel lure floating on the surface I grap it and hook it into my floating boat cusion.

Now I am freaking and thinking about my camera.When I arrive at my boat I notice my rod and reel under the boat somehow my Rapala hooked onto one of the oars.A shimano stradic rod and reel combo.Ok I was releived for one minute then I see my portable sonar hanging from the back of the boat oh no $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I think .My motor is up side down and I can't do a dam thing about it :wallbash: .2 guys in a canoe come to my rescue.I was 40 feet from shore when I notice I have a huge audience about 50 teenagers from a Ukranian scout camp.The guys in the canoe helped me get my boat to shore at the scout camp and when I arrive at shore all these kids began helping me.Well I was jsut overwhelmed.They bailed my boat in no time.

I start to count the damage .I lost a pair of rapala pliers ,a red devil and my net.My extra boat seat with the backrest stayed a float anchor and boat safety kit still in boat.I look at my rod and a loose mepps is hanging on my line by one trebble hook.I look down at my feet and I have a green Yozuri lure stuck in my water shoes.I manage to save a small storage container.

Now at this point I am missing my tackle box and a bag full of spinner baits.Oh crap my camera was in the tackle box.

2 of the scout leaders offered to go and find my box and spinner pack and the guys in the canoe stick around to help.Luckily I was in 6 feet of water.So the leaders go and get changed slip on some goggles and retreive my tackle box and spinner pac in about 15 minutes.I don't care about the camera anymore at this point it was the pictures that I did not want to lose.My son caught his first eye this week.I opened my box which was filled with water and quickly retrieved the memory card which is still in tac for my fishing report.

It's amazing how much help I had .I have to thank all from the ukranian scout camp and the 2 wonderful guys in the canoe from Hamilton Ontario.

I am alive maybe because I wore My PFD who knows.Now I have a report for you all.Enjoy the pics :Gonefishing:

130718.JPG

First evening setting up camp.

130678.JPG

An early Morning shot of Lake Moore as the fog lifts.

130679.JPG

Morning walk with the wife.

130680.JPG

130681.JPG

On the way to the Hospital Ryan was not breathing well due to a Krupe cough.5:30am

130682.JPG

Shot this fireball on the way to the hospital.

130683.JPG

Ah ventilin.

130684.JPG

4 hours later we are good to go :stretcher:

130685.JPG

First Day fishing and my friend Michel breaks the ice with the first fish of the week.

130686.JPG

No fish yet.

130687.JPG

Caught this clam on a Lindy Rig.I haver never had this happen before.

The clam met my friend Pliers. :stretcher:

130688.JPG

finally it was my turn not much but hell is something right?

130689.JPG

130690.JPG

Robin my 10 year old daughter trying to meet the handsome Prince.NOT!!!!!! I am not ready for that yet!

130691.JPG

130692.JPG

A view of the smaller beach.

130693.JPG

Kids found this little guy during a visit to Grandma and Gramps.

130694.JPG

Oh no they are getting smaller. :sleeping_02:

130695.JPG

My son quit fishing with me in the boat after 45 minutes.

I took my friend Michel's 12 yr old Daughter Alexandra fishing

She wanted to know what a Pike looked like.Before this day she had

never caught more than a sunfish.

This Pike weighed 5lbs.Yup out fished by the kids again but I am a good coach.

130696.JPG

130698.JPG

130699.JPG

I had to take this picture of the fishing Dad .I don't know this guy

but had to share it with you.

130700.JPG

130701.JPG

130702.JPG

130703.JPG

130704.JPG

Bernie's(Nippissing) Jigs working well.

130705.JPG

130706.JPG

A guy named Rich showed me how to do this :whistling:

130707.JPG

130708.JPG

While I was getting skunked in the boat.The youngsters were

catching Walleye from shore.Once again the pink X-rap from Rapala

what a lure.HOT HOT HOT.

130709.JPG

130710.JPG

Pink X-Rap again Stupid sunfish <_<

130711.JPG

Don't go away part 2 to come.Mike

Edited by Mike the Pike

Here we go part 2.

130712.JPG

My son's first ever walleye 11:15am.

I told my son if he catches a Walleye at this time of day I would

give him 5$.You guessed it pay up Dad :P

Pink rapala x-rap again.

130713.JPG

130714.JPG

pink Rapala X-Rap again.Dad how come you can't catch walleye?

130715.JPG

This pic is for Solopadaller(Mike)

1 am Scrabble my wife Lisa on the left and Friend Rosa.

130697.JPG

coffee after another late night of scrabble.

130716.JPG

This is the life.vacation

130717.JPG

The view from my campsite.

130719.JPG

This pic is for Greencoachdog.Hey Redneck its hot in Northern Ontario.

130720.JPG

130721.JPG

130722.JPG

Pictures at the museum at the Provincial Park.

130723.JPG

130724.JPG

130725.JPG

Alot of people went tubing down this river I will try it next time.

130726.JPG

Brother and sister evening fishing.

130727.JPG

130728.JPG

Another fish caught with the Pink Rapala X-Rap.

130729.JPG

130731.JPG

Another walleye in the slot .All fish this week were released to

swim another day.

130732.JPG

130734.JPG

Canoeing with gramps.

130735.JPG

130736.JPG

130737.JPG

130738.JPG

Me and the kids cleaning out my soaked tacklebox.After I arrived back

from my ordeal with the flipped boat.I had to row about 3kms.

My OFC sign survived but I through out alot of stuff including alot of berkley gulp.

130739.JPG

I had to dry out all of this tackle.

130740.JPG

Flipping a boat can really tire you out.Man I was tired.

130742.JPG

time to go home I will go back.

Despite my unlucky week I really enjoyed my vacation.

Mike the Pike :Gonefishing:

Wow Mike....Excellent report! Apart from the boat thing and the trip to the hospital, it looks like you had a great time. Kids always outfish me as well, so I know exactly how you feel on that one. You have some incredible pictures...and I know your kids have some great memories of these trips you take with them.

You better buy about a dozen of those pink x raps...if you ever go out and you dont have enough for the kids, you'll be in deep trouble...LOL.

Thanks Mike...I enjoyed reading about your trip!

Wow, now that's a heck of a report, and I'm sure quite the adventure! Glad you were wearing your PFD!!! It's always a good trip when the kids outfish you too :D Glad you were able to recover the pics from your camera, those were some great photos, and I've no doubt some great memories for all.

Maureen

I read your story and then told my wife about it and we shared it over coffee. She enjoyed it too, especially the part about the Ukrainian scouts coming to the rescue. She plays scrabble with me and I have done stupid things on a boat so we could both relate. We also rent a cabin every year not far from the park. I know that area well and have canoed through it. I've never tipped a boat but then again the smallest boat I've rented was a 14ft., given the opportunity I'm sure I would have done it by now. I've had several rods go overboard and can strongly recommend the more expensive rods with cork in the handle.

You had some lovely pics, glad the camera was saved. I look back on mine from that time period and cherish them everytime I see them. Electronics are not automatically ruined if they are submerged. The big mistake that most make is that they turn on the unit and short it out because there is still water inside. Open all the compartments and wait ten days. You would be surprised how often electronics can be saved. Did I mention I went in the drink with my cell phone?

Edited by scuro

Great report Mike. Lesson learned about the life jacket for me in the small boat now, you where lucky. I'll be wearing mine for sure when in the small boat alone.

Thanks for the pics and report. As for being outfished by the kids, I bet you couldn't think of anyone else you'd rather be outfished by.

Mike..... What an adventure brother! Just glad your home safe and sound with nothing hurt (except perhaps your pride?) LOL! Good thing you had your wits about you or thing could have been much worse! You had an angel watching you for sure...

I love the pic of your daughter with the frogs... CLASSIC!

Being out fished by your buddies sucks... Being out fished by your kids is priceless!!

High-Five to your son on his first walleye!

Gerritt.

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellant report! Looks like you guys caught alot of fish and had a great time. That sucks about the tackle box though. You dont look like a happy camper at all in the pic.lol You sure brought up alot of tackle!

So Mike did Robins frog turn into a prince?If it did I dont think you would of had room for him in the van anyways.Who wants a green prince anyway.Well your home safe and sound ,lesson learned and the kids had a blast.thats all that matters.Dan

Edited by Percher

I've read hundreds and hundreds of reports on several boards over five years of active cruising. This one stuck in my mind the whole day, it's a classic. If someone says small boat, I'll think of your misadventure off the bat. "No way I am getting into that boat with the weather forecast predicting "WIND".

Such is life, we all live through bad things at some point that seem like such a disaster in the moment. Your wife will never forget that trip either. I also did something I never do, I bought a lure based on a report. I've got my pink x-rap. :P