Long Weekend at Lake Weslemkoon

Abberz

Got away for the long weekend with a few close friends at Lake Weslemkoon.Fishing was great all weekend with 2-5+LB fish caught and plenty over the 3 pound mark. Plenty of action on senko's, 4-inch tubes and the big bass coming on the jig and pig.

Enjoy the pics.

Largemouth was 3.8, Smallie was 3.7

gallery_857_242_54657.jpg

First 5 pounder of the weekend.

gallery_857_242_4307.jpg

From left to right - 5.2/3.7/3.8/4.0

gallery_857_235_2502.jpg

Big fish of the weekend 5.6lbs

gallery_857_242_4753.jpg

Nice Sunset to end the weekend.

gallery_857_242_17960.jpg

All fish were kept in the livewell for photo's and released shortly there after.

Here's a few more big bass from July off Buck Lake.

My boy Matt didn't even lose his cigarette bringing this 5lb largie in.

gallery_857_242_55866.jpg

Same nite I dipped into a 5lber as well.

gallery_857_235_5953.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed the pics as much as we enjoyed reelin' them in.

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellant report. I have been wanting to fish that lake for awhile. Apparently 6lbers are common and 8lbers swim in those waters but I heard over the years the place has recieved too much fishihng pressure and the fishing has died down abit. Aparrently not!!!!!

Thanks guys. It was only my second time on the lake and apparently 7-8 pound fish are caught every year and plenty in the 5-6 pound range are quite common. Litterally every other bass was over 3 pounds last weekend. From what I know the bass fishing is and has been better than average on the lake for many many years.

As far as gamefish go, there are Largemouth and Smallmouth bass as well as Lake Trout found in the lake.....no pike or muskie which in my opinion makes the lake what it is. If a few of you guys do venture off and enjoy what Weslem has to offer please practice catch and release and if you do harvest any bass there is never any reason to keep anything over 2-2.5 lbs as the smaller fish are plentiful and better eating in my opinion.

Cheers

Guest Johnny Bass
Thanks guys. It was only my second time on the lake and apparently 7-8 pound fish are caught every year and plenty in the 5-6 pound range are quite common. Litterally every other bass was over 3 pounds last weekend. From what I know the bass fishing is and has been better than average on the lake for many many years.

As far as gamefish go, there are Largemouth and Smallmouth bass as well as Lake Trout found in the lake.....no pike or muskie which in my opinion makes the lake what it is. If a few of you guys do venture off and enjoy what Weslem has to offer please practice catch and release and if you do harvest any bass there is never any reason to keep anything over 2-2.5 lbs as the smaller fish are plentiful and better eating in my opinion.

Cheers

Where is the launch and how far is it from Toronto? I might give it a try next year.

Guest Johnny Bass

Cheers

Where is the launch and how far is it from Toronto? I might give it a try next year.

Buckets, buckets, buckets , and smallies, and no pike? hmmmm, i might have to ckeck that out!! Thanks for sharing, nice pics!!

ps, i agree with you on keeping the fish, if i want a feed i will keep the 1- 1.5 lb fish if they are plentiful

Are your arms sore? What kind of structure worked best? ie, deep(10 fow) weeds, timber, docks, slop (is there any)?Thanks for sharing!!

John

Johnny B - There is a Marina with a good launch, they charge $10 to take the boat in and out. I'm not sure as to how far it would be coming from TO, being a Kingston boy, but you take the 401 to the 62 exit in Belleville and go north, crossing 7 until you come to Weslemkoon Lake Rd. on your right. From the 401 its about an hours drive to get to the lake....25 mins of that would be travelling down Weslemkoon Lake Rd.

Bucketmouth - There isn't much slop as the water is tea coloured and it doesn't allow for a whole lot of weed growth, but timber, docks, dropoffs and what not worked best.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Abberz

Guest Johnny Bass
Johnny B - There is a Marina with a good launch, they charge $10 to take the boat in and out. I'm not sure as to how far it would be coming from TO, being a Kingston boy, but you take the 401 to the 62 exit in Belleville and go north, crossing 7 until you come to Weslemkoon Lake Rd. on your right. From the 401 its about an hours drive to get to the lake....25 mins of that would be travelling down Weslemkoon Lake Rd.

Bucketmouth - There isn't much slop as the water is tea coloured and it doesn't allow for a whole lot of weed growth, but timber, docks, dropoffs and what not worked best.

Hope this helps.

Thanks man. Sounds like 2 hours and a half from my place. :(