Why do Carp anglers always kneel when holding a large carp?

scuro

I personally do it purely for fish safety. Carp are large, heavy, slimy and the often kick a lot when you've got them in the net. If you accidentally drop a fish, it's a long way down to the ground if you're standing straight up. I generally don't lift steelhead and salmon very high either.

It makes them look bigger. :lol:

No really for me it was because I had usually just pulled it out of the net on the ground and was already crouching anyway.

Edited by Rich

Additional reasons are:

- carpers don't hold their fish up using the gill plates to prevent then from moving around. They're slimy.

- carpers are 99 percent fishing from shore with lots of room around compared to being in a boat with a muskie or pike

- serious carpers tend to be sensitive to the well being of the fish to the point of using cushioned landing pads. Close to the ground means less chance of hurting the fish if it falls

- crouching also minimizes how much of the background is seen in your picture. In a boat you see water.

I'm kneeling for most of my pictures as well....for a couple of reasons....

1) Takes out more of the background to help hide where I'm fishing, and elminates the need to photoshop.

2) Any large fish, it's easier for me to kneel, and put my elbows on my knees to help support the fish.

3) What MJL said...dont want to drop them from high up.

The only fish I'll stand up for are ones where I have to hold them by the gill plate...I feel I have more control over them....but I generally do not like to handle a fish near their gills.

What MJL said.

Also, you may find that most carpers don't look at the camera either, instead they look at the fish. Some say it's to react faster if the fish starts to roll around carper's arm. For me, I just want to look at the fish as much as I can before I release them.

You could all be right. BUT, the crouching started in the UK and carpers just follow that.

1-It is saftey.

2-If you look at carpers from the UK, they crouch and look to the side in every picture, this is to show respect for the fish, since a 1 week Paylake trip (thats all they got, and it BIG $$$$$) they will probably, if they are lucky, catch 3 fish each, using 3 rods each.

3-For me, it looks cool.

Daniel

OCH

Oh ya, carpers don't hide spots, we don't photoshop out pics. NO crouching is not done not to minimize the background.

A lot of us brits do it because we got poor teeth, that way we aint got to smile at the camera :thumbsup_anim:

seriously though what a lot of the guys said earlier is all true, my personal reason is I think you drop a 20lb upward carp when standing and it is more than likely going to die plus when they flip you just can't hold them Danny a mate pictured above had one flip on him when we were out and it ended up going over his shoulder, after a lot of huffing and puffing when it got to head height he just laid on the floor and it rolled over his back very funny to watch, fish was fine as well.

50lb carp are extremely dificult to get to pose upright as well you can see the strain just starting to tell and he is sitting on a bait bucket with his arms on his knees. Fish safety is probably the main reason but everyone has a point so guess we are all right.

france038.jpg

Just look at the strain on this guys face would have been much better if he ws looking at the fish:rolleyes:

france5030021.jpg

Edited by English

hiding your carp spots?

From who?

Probably from the people who leave behind: empty cans of corn, sharp can lids, empty plastic bags of frozen corn, empty hook packages, empty packages of egg sinkers, worm containers, discarded fishing lines, beer bottles, empty water bottles, discarded fishing rigs (with rusty hooks attached), snotty Kleenexes and soiled paper napkins, empty cups from timmy's (usually with matching lids), paper bags from fast food joints, cigarette butts, cigarette boxes...I can list more things that I've found in my carping spots if you would like

It can be assumed that not everyone who reads these posts (or sees these pics) on OFC is as appreciative of the environment as we hoped they would be.

Edited by MJL

British anglers look sideways? :huh: That's gettin a little weird. So I go looking for British Carp photos but instead find bloopers on carpanglers group forum. Looks like the large ones are a squirmy fish.

http://pictures.carpanglersgroup.com/bloopers/

hug_jerome_moisand2.jpg

hug_Hollywood.jpg

haha_koi3.jpg

haha_KingCarp4.jpg

I have grabbed carp by the mouth. It works better with medium sized carp. Now I am thinkin that this photo might be a british carp angling faux pa?

P1010008-1.jpg

What could I do, I was by myself? Besides who wants carp slim all over your hands? :glare:

Edited by scuro

As for me if a small carp and I have a camera man I'll stand. If its a big fish its hard to stand up with it once you have it in your arms (craddling it) and then you have to bend back down to properly release it. Not great for your back bending over holding a big slimmy fish. Already have back problems. :lol:

dsn