Senko alternatives?

oncogene

First I have to say I'm a fishing noob still :sleeping_02: Only 3rd season fishing and didn't really fish much the first 2 years either.

Anyway, I just started with Senko 5" worms as it seemed to be quite highly recommended for bass fishing. Only using it for couple of weeks and the result seems to be decent so far. Just got a 2+lb SMB this morning, my personal best lol... and not too bad for shore fishing I think :)

Now comes the problem, with Senko's price lol. I got the 5" pack in a local dept store (out of all things!) for $7.99. One of the local CanTire also has both 4" & 5" for $8.99. Out in Toronto (Scarborough), couple of chinese tackle stores also have them for around $8-8.50 range. So after tax, it's almost $1 per worm which gets expensive a little :blink: Anyone tried any other alternatives (knockoffs, imitators) of Senko? Any one good?

The local CanTire has the Wave Tiki worms on sale, reg $5.99, now 3 packs for $12!! That's less than 1/2 the price of Senko :blink:

Is it good? Any comments welcomed :)

http://www.wavefishing.com/home.php?cat=282

Most knock offs work well when the Bass are turned onto them.I start with the real deal and switch to the knock offs if the bass are agressive.If the senko bite is light I use the smaller ones and it seems to work better.Good luck.

Joe

What is the real deal Joe?

From all reports out and about an alot of sites,the SENKO, is not the one and only anymore. Lots have talked about the BPS brand,the yum dinggers,Bandits,bassmagnetlures and so on. To me it,s what you feel confident in using.

I have yet to put on a Yamamoto sinko this year, and have done well. Im not jump,n yer bones here pal,just saying theres so much more out there now. :canadian:

Edited by misfish

I have the BPS brand in the boat also and use them as much as possible but it has been my experience that the Yamamoto version of the dead stick bait works better for me on most days.Seems to have a density or salt content or something that makes it different than the other baits I have tried.I will say that I have not tried very many other brands other than the BPS version and the tiki worm.I would like to try the strike king 3x version but all I have been able to find from them is a creature type lure.Very cool material they use.You can get a lot more mileage out of the senkos by using an O ring around the body and passing the hook between the o ring and senko if you are fishing it wacky.

Joe

Daplumma, how do u like the Tiki worm compare to Senko?

Does BPS have the komanchi brand? .... not that there's a BPS nearby... It's kinda limited in choices here, the biggest "tackle stores" are CanTire and Walmart lol

IMO... there is no comparison between the tiki and the Senko... if i had to buy mass produced Senko knockoff's, i'd buy the Yum Dinger... if i could buy any knockoff, it would be from a quality hand pourer, such as www.bassmagnetlures.com

I've used many knockoff's, i don't include the Kinami brand in there cause it's Gary Yamamoto's son who makes them and they're the same thing, and the dinger is a nice replacement for the original... never used komanchi tho, so i don't know about them, but they obviously catch fish... i only use my own hand poured ones (and nope, i'm not affiliated bassmagnetlures.com either) as i can get closer to the senko and make whatever colour it is i want...

Does BPS have the komanchi brand

No they dont.It is a company that is trying to make a market in Ontario.

You can order staright off the site.

Joe

I find the Yamamoto baits sink faster then others.IMO What ever they use it works, dont get me wrong. I like what Im using do to the slow decend and the way it swims away from the pads .I fish it wieght less when around the pads and weeds 4-6 fow.

I guess like any other baits out there,it,s all comes down to,like I said, confidents in your bait.

I've used many knockoff's, i don't include the Kinami brand in there cause it's Gary Yamamoto's son who makes them and they're the same thing, and the dinger is a nice replacement for the original

Just why then, can he sell cheaper,if they are the same? Just curious.

Nice fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,boy.LOL

Edited by misfish

Tiki Worms - used them - worked great - would I buy them again - yes - especially at 3 packs for 12 bucks.

Infused with Molopo whatever that is. Smells like Anacet (sp).

Came in the colors I like too.

If you want them to sink faster buy some Sluggo weights. Got mine at BPS. Use the full weight or break them off where they are serated. Bury them in the tail of the bait behind the hook. Experiment and you'll find they can add some pretty neat action to the bait. Great when the wind is up a bit too.

nice fish there fishboy.

Hookset.

Just why then, can he sell cheaper,if they are the same? Just curious.

Nice fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,boy.LOL

Kinami flash= $4.49 U.S. for a 7 pack... GYCB Senko= $5.99 U.S. for a 10 pack... both are about .60 U.S. per bait, they aren't cheaper... ;)

EDIT... actually they're more expensive than the originals, just less of an initial price shock

Edited by phat bassturd

Hiya.....

New to Senkos and the like and was wondering about this myself.

I did find a listing, of course if you dont mind eprey. The price seems ok but not sure about shipping. It says they are Senko's in the listing but I didnt see any packaging. $10 (US) for 40 6" seems like a good price after reading this thread. Not sure about posting the link here so I wont, but feel free to send me a PM and Ill send it back.

Bill

I have the BPS brand in the boat also and use them as much as possible but it has been my experience that the Yamamoto version of the dead stick bait works better for me on most days.Seems to have a density or salt content or something that makes it different than the other baits I have tried.I will say that I have not tried very many other brands other than the BPS version and the tiki worm.I would like to try the strike king 3x version but all I have been able to find from them is a creature type lure.Very cool material they use.You can get a lot more mileage out of the senkos by using an O ring around the body and passing the hook between the o ring and senko if you are fishing it wacky.

Joe

Could you maybe share what type of o-ring you are using? and maybe size of it too ? weblink with picture would be cool.

Thanks.

Hiya.....

New to Senkos and the like and was wondering about this myself.

I did find a listing, of course if you dont mind eprey. The price seems ok but not sure about shipping. It says they are Senko's in the listing but I didnt see any packaging. $10 (US) for 40 6" seems like a good price after reading this thread. Not sure about posting the link here so I wont, but feel free to send me a PM and Ill send it back.

Bill

About the "eprey" listing, I recently asked about if they'r made by the Yamamoto Senko brand or are they imitation, the seller's response is:

"No, these lures are tournament quality bass baits as described and

pictured. They are not cheap quality Jap imitations. These senkos are

based on the original soft plastic stickbait designed and marketed in

1965 by the late Tom Mann. Shipping to CANADA will depend upon weight

and Paypal fees. Thanks, Bassfancier"

I'm a lil confused by his comment really ... sounds like he's implying the Yamamoto Senko itself is THE imitation...heh. $10 for 40-50 is definitely tempting too... if shipping is within $10-15 then it's worth a try.

Edited by oncogene

Yum baits are slightly more, but less than Yamamoto custom baits and work better than any other I have fished....I'm not sponsored, but I'm happy to pay for them as they put fish in the boat every time I'm on the water.

Price wise the Ko-Man-Chi "Wizzle Worms" Misfish mentioned are the best bang for your buck.A 25 pack for $8.50 is 34 cents per bait. I've used every knock off and senkos themselves and they are all comparable. They all catch fish and are great baits when the fishing gets tough.With so many brands out there it all depends on price and confidence.

For me, Senkos still outperform other stickbaits when the bite is tough. Of all the imitations, the Yumdingers fish the best for me. Otherwise, the vast majority of cheap sticks - the ones with the "hook slot" in them - are all made in the same place, so get them for the best price you can.

You can make Senkos last longer in several ways:

1) after the nose gets torn up, just bite off the first 1/2" and re-rig it. It keep working right down to about 3 1/2" on a 5" senko

2) save the one with the torn up noses and use them for wacky-rigs. Orings work, cutting thin rings from cheap tubes works as well.

3) rig them backwards after they get torn up

4) save the short bits and use them as jig trailers. It looks stupid - southern smallie fisherman call it the "dog turd" jig - but it catches smallies.

Guest mistyriver1

Just gave the Komanchi's a go this past week and am very pleased with them. The Wizzlers work well.

Mizmo's work pretty good too. ;)