The "new trend" in T.V. fishing shows

Hookset

Just kinda curious what others may think about the "new trend" in some fishing shows.

I realize you can't paint them all with the same paintbrush, but personally I've noticed a trend.

I won't name specific shows. I'm looking at general trends.

The things I'm noticing are :

- Background or theme music, seems to be akin to death metal or some form of grating music.

I don't get it...Some of my favorite shows always had great theme music. Hell, I actually know the words to

a few and get a kick out of them.

- I don't understand the "IN YOUR FACE"..."NO, IN YOUR FACE" crap either. It's a fishing show. If I want to see a

fight I'll watch the U.F.C. or boxing.

- Yelling, whats up ?? If I can't hear you, I'll turn up the volume. I don't need you to do it for me.

- lastly the "I'm better at fishing than you are" themes. I don't care if you can "kick my ass". I want to be a better

angler by learning from the Pro's.

I suppose I was spoiled by the old shows like In Fisherman, Babe Winkleman, and old marble mouth Hank Parker to name a few. I know there's a lot that I've missed here.

Just curious what others think....This kinda sounds like a rant though I suppose.

Hookset.

I think part of the problem with most fishing shows produced today is that fishing, by its definition, doesn't fit with a modern day Television Show Producer's criteria for a television show.

The Producer wants action, excitment, cause and effect, problem and solution, etc.

Fishing( the way most of us do it and enjoy it )kinda just happens.

Personally, I feel the best shows( or the one's I enjoy the most )are ones like Urban Outdoor Adventures and Getting Hooked. Not just because the Hosts are members here, but I feel these shows are done by fishermen who have maintained creative control over their programs. They're in touch with their audience( actual fishermen )and are doing their best to appeal to them.

The Television Producer always feels the need to generate a program that 'fits' today's audience( not neccessarily actual fishermen )by including in-your-face music, action, I-win-you-lose conflict, etc.

IMHO...

The problem with many of the newer fishing shows today & hunting shows for that matter is that they just don’t get it. They catch a huge fish or a monster buck & the first thing out of the guy’s mouth is, “that’s what it’s all about BABY!”

It’s not about catching the big fish or bagging the big buck. It’s about being in the outdoors & enjoying what Mother Nature gave us. Catching a trophy fish or bagging a trophy deer are just a bonus.

I use to like fish'n Canada show best of all

then they did the in your face bad boy FNC show ..which was dumb as hell..old men pretending to be cool

slamming fish back in the water and swearing and throwing things at the guy driving the motorhome........

I changed the channel and have never watched fish'n canada ever again and never will

Red Fisher was great and all-time legend of fishing show hosts. However, he usually fished remote areas and a lot of times with celebrities. 2 things most people do not desire in a program. What I think made the show and why so many people tuned in was the fact that no matter what, it was always about having FUN!

Personally i like some of the new shows but i like any show that i learn. I'm not such a big fan of the shows where they sit there and catch fish in places that i may never have a chance to go to. I like shows that go to places i have access to and i also like when they go into detail about how they are catching what i am seeing. Anyway i like the new breed of shows especially Extreme Angler!

I'll agree with tater - any of the shows that teach me stuff that I will make use of are good in my book. So that means shows like xtreme angler which yeah are a bit over the top in my books are still good because they do show you what they're doing and the gear their using to do it so I'll put up with some of the in your face style as long as the show ends and I find myself digging through my tackle box or my maps and figuring out when I get to try what I just learned.

I don't get to watch them much due to my work schedule and no WFN :( . When I do watch them though I prefer urban outdoor adventures the most, just because it has local lakes I'm more likely to fish on, and the way Shaun has put it together. I'd like to see Getting Hooked but with dial up that's not going to happen anytime soon. I find most of the shows are too "showy" or corny and they try to hard. I prefer the ones that are more natural and seem to honestly be having fun no matter what.

maureen