Upper French River Report

steve_paul

Just returned from our family vacation at the cottage. 5 of us ventured back to the Upper French River for a week - my wife Cindy (who toughed out the last half of the week with a bad ear infection so we didn't have to leave early - thanks Cin), son Ryan, his friend Tyson, daughter Jess and myself.

We picked the week that has always been beautiful weather wise in the past to us, this year Mother Nature threw us a big curve ball - 3 huge storms while we were there, cold weather, rain pretty much every day. No use griping about it though, so we percervered, had a great time, caught enough fish to keep everyone happy and had a another great week with my family.

You never knew at night what you would be facing the next day weather wise but there were lots of impressive skies to view at least.

med_gallery_67_323_47295.jpg

Some nice rainbows after the daily rains

med_gallery_67_323_47091.jpg

The winds made bath time a rather unpleasant event some days - my son is not a cold wind, cold water fan obviously but at least he didn't stink

med_gallery_67_323_71664.jpg

Onto the fish pics - as I mentioned with the cold front we had to work for the fish but there were enough to keep everyone happy

Here are the boys with a typical size pike we caught

med_gallery_67_323_886.jpg

Ryan had a goal to get himself either his first muskie or a big pike, sadly for him neither happened but he fished hard the entire week, never complained and ran the boat all week in tough conditions like a pro. He did manage some nice bass through the week

med_gallery_67_323_58907.jpg

med_gallery_67_323_86195.jpg

My daughter Jess set herself a goal for the trip, her first bass and her first pike. She accomplished both - she brought a beautiful pike to the boat that we didn't get a picture of and on the last morning before leaving she landed this beautiful bass

med_gallery_67_323_56641.jpg

Thursday the 12th was Cindy's birthday and she wanted a little fish fry for her dinner so Ryan found us a nice hole to get some perch and one surprise smallie for dinner (being typical siblings, they love being together in a picture :jerry:

med_gallery_67_323_122521.jpg

med_gallery_67_323_212823.jpg

And finally the fish of the trip. The first day had been a long one, everyone up at 2 am to get on the road, fished lots through the day and all of us were very tired and hungry by the end of the day. On the last troll before heading in, Tyson said he was too tired to fish any more, just wanted to get something to eat and go to bed. He said everyone else is getting fish by standing up so he would to. We were maybe 50 yards from reeling in and calling it a night when he let out a scream, almost went over the back and said "Got one". We were trolling for 'eyes and pike so he was running a small purple reef runner and he said he wasn't sure what it was but it was big. Didn't take long to figure out it was a muskie. He battled it in wonderfully on the lighter set up he was using and brought her boat side. We got the hooks out of her, got her up for a picture and let her go back to grow some more. Being the first muskie we landed, we just wanted to get her off and back swimming so no measurements but he certainly has a memory that will last a lifetime.

med_gallery_67_323_16901.jpg

The release

med_gallery_67_323_26056.jpg

While the weather wasn't the greatest, we made the best of it for the week and had a wonderful vacation. Can't wait til we get up there again. Til next time

med_gallery_67_323_65538.jpg

Wow! Excellent report and great to see another family out there having a great time on the water! Great job for everyone on this one...with you daughter meeting her fishing goals and that great musky! Your son will reach his goals this summer...I'm just sure of it.

Kudos to your wife for sticking it out up there with an ear infection...hope you all adorned her with nice gifts....LOL.

Thanks for taking the time to post this...it's a great read.

Sounds like you had a great vacation and managed to catch some fish with the kids! Even though the weather didn't co-operate you certainly look to have made the most of it, and a nice 'ski to boot!

Thanks for sharing!