Floodwood Lake report (Tons of pics)

fishnsled

Well here it is!!! The moment you’ve all been waiting for!!!! The reason you’ve given up fishing and been sitting by the computer for the last couple of weeks……my Floodwood Lake report!!!!!!! :rolleyes::P OK, I probably pushing it a bit too far but I’ve had people asking about it.

We left bright and early on June 22 at 2am to make our drive up to Air Cochrane. We had a car coming up from the west end of the city and we were coming from the east. Our drive was pretty uneventful which was great; the other guys had a visit from the OPP while travelling up the 400. :whistling: On our (east end group) travels we did manage to see one moose as we were travelling through Temagami but the moose got spooked and took off before we could get a good picture.

There really was a moose here.

wheresthemoose.jpg

After some food in New Liskeard and a brief stop in Cochrane for bait and some Floodwood lake dinner jackets, we arrived at the base around 10:30am, checked in and squared up our bills. The west end crew wasn’t far behind and soon we were just waiting on our planes to take us in.

The group

Waitingtogo.jpg

Dan in his new dinner jacket

Daninhisdinnerjacket.jpg

The first plane to go was the Cessna which took Dan and a bunch of the gear.

Dansonhisway.jpg

The next plane was the Beaver for the rest of us and the balance of the gear.

Beaverlanding.jpg

Our flight in was a bit of a rough one as there were some very strong winds blowing us around. We had a couple of good drops in altitude but the last one was a really good and had us all hoping to land very soon.

KenandthePilot.jpg

Taxioutfortakeoff.jpg

Takeoff.jpg

takeoff2.jpg

takeoff3.jpg

skinnytrees.jpg

oneofmanylakes.jpg

Decending.jpg

Touchdown.jpg

Cabin.jpg

Once at the camp we unpacked and got some food to help settle our stomachs. Then it was off for some fishing.

Here's Simon and Gerry heading out.

SimonandGerryheadingout.jpg

We hit a couple of spots and marked a ton of fish but couldn’t seem to get a bite.

fishfinder.jpg

I should mention hear that we were dealing with an extreme cold front. +35 a couple of days before we got there and it was to get down to -1 that night. Oh yea, there was a major mayfly hatch going on as well. :wallbash: We headed back into grab some dinner and re-group. We went out for an evening fish and after not getting a bite while jigging we decided to troll. Ken and I were the diehards / foolish ones the kept at it and the others picked a bed to get some rest. Our troll paid off and we picked up a couple of small fish for the table and released some as well. By the time we got back to camp, cleaned the fish and had a couple of beers it was after midnight, day 1: 22+hours for Ken and I.

Nice sunset that night.

sunset1.jpg

sunset2.jpg

The next morning we woke to a very cold cabin. After getting a fire going and Dan cooking up a storm, the place warmed up pretty good. Dan had decided that this was the year he wanted to try doing up the menu and meals. OUTSTANDING JOB!!!! :thumbsup_anim::clapping: Thanks again for all your hard work Dan!

Shot of the Kitchen courtesy of Dan

Cabininside.jpg

We went back at it and stuck to the trolling to start with. A couple of small pike and that was it. Into a back bay for some buzzbait northerns and that worked pretty well. All small fish but some very exciting action. After some lunch we went back to trolling and managed a few fish. But not the numbers or size we were hoping for. So back in for some more food and plan the evening fish. Did I mention that we ate like kings while we were there? :) The evening bite was still slow but a few fish to be had. Dan and I did notice some fishing jumping closed to shore and after some investigating found them to be whitefish coming up to feed on the mayflies. This fish were in 2-5ft of water! I hooked into a couple but lost them. Later in the trip Ken found a good pattern for the whities by fishing for them in the pads, yep they were in the lily pads. He got 4 or 5 doing this. Some euchre and a couple of beers and off to bed.

One of the many small pike we got. This one had a chance to meet Ken up close and personal.

kenandpikenosmoke.jpg

Ken and one of his whitefish

Kenandwhitefish.jpg

Sunday we woke up to some warmer temps but still in the single digits. A quick coffee, and off to jig up a couple eyes. Finally a good pre-breakfast fish with a couple of dozen fish being caught but again, no size. Kept 4 eyes and a whitefish, the fish of doom, had some breakfast and back out for a couple of hours. It was during this time we witnessed one of the greatest sights I’ll ever see, a cow moose and her twin calves. We spent more time watching these beautiful animals then we did fishing and I’d do it all over again.

Enjoy!!

mooseandcalvesfar.jpg

mooseandcalvesfarcropped.jpg

Momandcalves2.jpg

moosewaterrollingoffhead.jpg

Waterinmyears.jpg

Momandbaby.jpg

Moosegettingoutofthewater.jpg

Back in for some lunch and to clean up some fish for dinner that night.

Some food for the table.

walleyeforcleaning.jpg

I'll end part 1 here, part 2 to come.

Great report. It almost took us with you. Mother moose likes your camera.

Am I correct that you bleed your walleyes? Been doing it myself for many years.

You are correct sir! I was showing the guys at camp the difference it made. Learned that trick from Headhunter's buddy. ;)

Thanks for the replys everyone, part two should be up be tomorrow. There will be more moose pics too as they did come back to see us. B)